Advice for cooking Waygu Brisket

NYC ‘Que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I’m cooking my first Waygu brisket tomorrow. Anything I need to know? Does it take longer to render all that fat? Higher/lower cooking temps? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little quicker in most cases. Keep a close eye on it and go by feel, not temp.
I start probing around 198° and watch it like a hawk. Still not probing @ 198-204° let it ride another half-hour or so. Usually for me, it could go between 204-210°. Maybe higher depending on how it probes. YMMV.

Wagyu briskets tend to probe perfectly when they're still not ready. All that extra fat starts to get soft and supple, but it's still not rendered. I made a big mistake with my first Wagyu brisket and pulled it when it was at about 198° and probing perfectly. I cut into it (at a competition) and it was still nothing but fat on the inside.

After a bit more trial and error I've found that cooking them to at least 208° has kept me from making the same mistake. Mind you this is cooking at about 275-300° ambient temp.

They like heat, I'd cook at least 250-75*. It will cook about like your prime briskets, lots of internal fat, so when you think it's ready give it another 20 minutes.

Don't overthink it. I dont cook it any different. They don't cook faster. Somebody let me know when you find data on that :-D. Have fun!

Cook it just like any other brisket but it does finish or shall I say render fat out faster. :becky: ^^^^^^

Def don't overthink it as mentioned.

Thanks everyone. I’ll do my usual thing and report back.

Wagyu briskets tend to probe perfectly when they're still not ready. All that extra fat starts to get soft and supple, but it's still not rendered. I made a big mistake with my first Wagyu brisket and pulled it when it was at about 198° and probing perfectly. I cut into it (at a competition) and it was still nothing but fat on the inside.

After a bit more trial and error I've found that cooking them to at least 208° has kept me from making the same mistake. Mind you this is cooking at about 275-300° ambient temp.

I agree with all of this based on my wagyu cooking experience. Especially higher-end wagyu.

So take it to 208 even if it probes tender at 203?

That has been my experience, but again I'm cooking at 275-300°. The "probe test" kind of failed for me on my first couple of Wagyu's because all that intergranular fat got really soft at about 195°, but the internal fats were nowhere near rendered out yet. So it felt really tender and had no resistance to the probe, but it was still tough and chewy.

Agreed on all points...my first wagyu brisket cook went that way. I cook em at least 275* and don't ever have them finish for me below 208*.

She’s been cooking since 0600. I set the MAK to 245 , but I’m using a pit probe on my Smoke and the grate temp has been 260-290. The brisket is at 195 now so I’m getting close.

So I pulled at like 207. It felt done at 203. It was slightly over cooked but everyone liked it. Good beef flavor.
I learned a couple of things, next time I’ll cook it like any other brisket, and my MAK is actually a lot hotter than the pellet boss reads. Top shelf on the MAK at higher temps because the bottom of the point was nearly incinerated. That bottom grate on the MAK has a lot of radiant heat from the drip tray.

Back