MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #256
jstrand
Full Fledged Farker

Just want to say to be careful if you leave it out in the rain or moisture. People that have had these for a while have had issues with moisture getting in the dump door and swelling up the pellets which has led some to have to disassemble to chisel the hard pellets from the auger.

I'm not scared but just thought I would pass along some info to hopefully save someone.

I'm thinking some sort of deflector shield above the door attached to the screws. But it's been too cold and snowy to even fire it up since putting it together. just keeps staring at me from the dining room.
jstrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #257
Chitown_hillbilly
Full Fledged Farker

On of my local stores had them marked down to $150 back in December. Got one for my father for Christmas. We opened her up after Christmas to find the glass busted out of the door. Called up Pit Boss and Customer Service Sent out a new door. But the parents went to Alabama for the winter and nobody's used it yet. I figure for $150 it's quite a deal.
Chitown_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #258
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

That's awesome customer service!
Ninja... the door will slide right off if you turn it upside down. I've heard a few dinging it up that way. Other than that it's really easy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #259
smoke ninja

yea, I got to the stage where I flipped it right side up. shorties are done and I'm tired. there's always tomorrow.

I am liking the barrel house tho.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #260
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
yea, I got to the stage where I flipped it right side up. shorties are done and I'm tired. there's always tomorrow.

I am liking the barrel house tho.
Trying to decide between the Barrel House or the Copperhead for a brisket tomorrow. Have ribs on the Copperhead today with 100% Hickory Lumberjack pellets. Still thinking of filling the brisket full of hooks and hanging it though.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #261
jstrand
Full Fledged Farker

Dang! Wish i could get outside and use mine. Sitting here watching snow and wind out the window.
Not to mention idle hands......, yesterday I ordered a stuffer, slicer, grinder, cure, gram scale and some other misc. stuff. So I'll be ready when it warms a bit.
jstrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #262
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I built a carport 18x26 5-6 years ago and covered the south and west ends,we use it for a patio more than a carport lol. fog will roll thru and wet every thing in it at times so thinking of putting heavy tarps that can be rolled up when not needed,it can get really hot in there in the summer so full time sides are out

Old 02-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #263
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike243 View Post
I built a carport 18x26 5-6 years ago and covered the south and west ends,we use it for a patio more than a carport lol. fog will roll thru and wet every thing in it at times so thinking of putting heavy tarps that can be rolled up when not needed,it can get really hot in there in the summer so full time sides are out
I put garage doors on both ends of my smoke garage. Helps it stay cooler if the wind is blowing. Everything starts secure and dry when not in use.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Old 02-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #264
smoke ninja

Noticed small issue with the face of the controller.

seen it before on the FB page. basically the plastic cover is slightly bubbled. this may allow for condensation on the display and eventual failure. I'll take a second look when I do the first cook sometime this week but I may start a warranty claim if I dont like what I see.

other than that this thing is huuuuge

Old 02-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #265
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Noticed small issue with the face of the controller.

seen it before on the FB page. basically the plastic cover is slightly bubbled. this may allow for condensation on the display and eventual failure. I'll take a second look when I do the first cook sometime this week but I may start a warranty claim if I dont like what I see.

other than that this thing is huuuuge
I have a problem with this too. Not just a bubble, but the plastic cover has separated at the top of the display.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #266
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Two things about the controller cover. It took me a while to realize there was actually a piece of removable film on it, LOL. Not sure about eventual failure, but you might have seen my post at the beginning of the last page. It definitely lets condensation in, and as I found out it will frost over something fierce when the cold collides with a preheating unit. I sent them an email about it, and they are sending me a new controller (should be here Thursday). Not sure if it will make any difference, but we'll see. Also, the service department is Dansons. I was a little confused when I was getting emails from a Dansons email address, but it looks like they are the parent company or something.

https://dansons.com/#

Old 02-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #267
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
Two things about the controller cover. It took me a while to realize there was actually a piece of removable film on it, LOL. Not sure about eventual failure, but you might have seen my post at the beginning of the last page. It definitely lets condensation in, and as I found out it will frost over something fierce when the cold collides with a preheating unit. I sent them an email about it, and they are sending me a new controller (should be here Thursday). Not sure if it will make any difference, but we'll see. Also, the service department is Dansons. I was a little confused when I was getting emails from a Dansons email address, but it looks like they are the parent company or something.

https://dansons.com/#
yup pit boss is owned by Danson, the company that manufactures Louisiana Grills (I've seen them at Costco)

I get that the pit boss is a cheaper model and expect shortcomings. they stand up to warranty claims so I do rest easy, just be sure to register.

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the plastic face yet on mine but remember you mentioned and seen it on the FB page once.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #268
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

I have had a beer or two and I'm thinking about going old school on a brisket with this booger tonight. I have a 14lb packer in the fridge that is a couple of days past the sell by date. Thinking I might throw it on at 225 and let it ride while I sleep. I only hesitate because it will dip to around 30 degrees outside tonight. What would you do?

Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #269
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
I have had a beer or two and I'm thinking about going old school on a brisket with this booger tonight. I have a 14lb packer in the fridge that is a couple of days past the sell by date. Thinking I might throw it on at 225 and let it ride while I sleep. I only hesitate because it will dip to around 30 degrees outside tonight. What would you do?
I'd use my maverick to alarm me if the temp goes too low.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #270
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I'd use my maverick to alarm me if the temp goes too low.

I have the Thermoworks Smoke so it will be my alarm on this one.