MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #31
Browser
Full Fledged Farker

I was going to use dissimilar metal rods and arc weld, but I've obtained some free mild steel mesh so have changed my mind!

57cm Weber One-Touch Silver.
Weber Go Anywhere.
Inter-stellar UDS :cool:
Browser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #32
dbeast420
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonToe View Post
I don't suppose you could PM me those links as well? Thanks
Same here. I'm looking for all the info I can before I start mine
dbeast420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 01:34 AM   #33
Browser
Full Fledged Farker

Links sent, via me, but courtesy of that brethren superstar Norcoredneck!

Weber Go Anywhere.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:34 AM   #34
Browser
Full Fledged Farker

Right, I’ve ceased prevaricating, I’m going to build (drumroll please!!) an Ugly Drum Smoker!!
Why? Well, having sat and worked it out all mafematick-like I realised that my 14” diameter propane cylinder would give me less grate area than a 2 grate UDS (a 22” grate gives roughly 380 sq in area), plus which If I wanted I could add an extension sleeve like several others have and get an additional grate for not much effort.
The real decider was being able to obtain a drum, flattened expanded mesh for grate and charcoal basket material, various bolts and an unused stainless fabrication for a lid from my workplace free of charge as they’re all in the scrap bin. Plus which I’ve already got a pair of pneumatically-tyred wheels and several lengths of 1” square and 2” x 1” rectangular-section tube at home, also rescued from the works scrap bin, which I can use to make a wheeled stand/trolley. About the only thing I’ll have to shell out for, aside from charcoal and meat of course, is the thermometers, so the whole project should only cost me about £23.00 for a remote probe thermo!
On the subject of thermometers, to measure the drum internal temperature can I use a standard steel-probe-type meat thermometer set in an insulator through the wall of the drum or do I need to use a remote probe unit? Is it advisable/necessary to keep a remote probe thermo in whatever piece of meat I’m barbecueing all the time it’s in the smoker, or just check now and then?

Weber Go Anywhere.

Last edited by Browser; 09-11-2007 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: Font size/type change

Old 09-11-2007, 03:00 AM   #35
Browser
Full Fledged Farker

Another quick question, is it worth me insulating the outside of the drum to retain heat/cut fuel usage? Since most of the time it seems to be cold in the UK it'd be an advantage to have it retain as much heat as possible, as well as calming Mrs Browsers fears that the kids'll stray too close and burn 'emselves on it.
Having had a look round the 'net I came accross Solarguard Foil Insulation which, for a 48" width is only £4.81 per metre length (don't you just love our ability to mix dimension standards in this country ) so it'd only add about a tenner to the overall cost and if it saves fuel/makes temp control simpler it has to be worth doing.

Weber Go Anywhere.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:13 AM   #36
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browser View Post
Another quick question, is it worth me insulating the outside of the drum to retain heat/cut fuel usage? Since most of the time it seems to be cold in the UK it'd be an advantage to have it retain as much heat as possible, as well as calming Mrs Browsers fears that the kids'll stray too close and burn 'emselves on it.
Having had a look round the 'net I came accross Solarguard Foil Insulation which, for a 48" width is only £4.81 per metre length (don't you just love our ability to mix dimension standards in this country ) so it'd only add about a tenner to the overall cost and if it saves fuel/makes temp control simpler it has to be worth doing.
I first started using my drum in December and also thought about insulating mine. Of course So Cal soes not get exactly cold. I was going to use a blanket for a hot water heater. They sell a aluminum looking one around here. I ended up not buying it. The only problem I had with mine is with the wind. I started using the clamp band to better seal the lid. I tacked a set of vice grip pliers to it instead of threading thr bolt each time. Do you have weber kettlet or imitations there?
http://www.radiantguard.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=45

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!

Last edited by Norcoredneck; 09-11-2007 at 03:35 AM..
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2007, 03:59 AM   #37
Browser
Full Fledged Farker

Yep, we have the Weber Kettle, as well as several imitations. I've tried getting a free one i.e. putting an ad on Freecycle for an old one, but to no avail I'm afraid. I have an item lined up at work to use as a lid and it's weight'll help seal it. If I get any major lid seal problems I'll raid an old oven for it's door seal and put that on. Having investigated the lagging/cladding option it'll only cost me about £10 so I figure I might as well do it as not. I'll get some pics tomorrow night of the raw materials and get 'em posted.

Weber Go Anywhere.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:13 AM   #38
Browser
Full Fledged Farker

UDS build has commenced. I collected the two major parts tonight and started into 'em.

The stainless Chinaman's hat I've obtained to make the lid with was made in error for the exhaust pipe of an emergency diesel generator and never used, so I asked an I got. I've cut the four legs off and the lower cone out, leaving a 1" lip all the way round, and wouldn't you know it fits nicely inside the edge of the drum All it needs is some 'tuning' to get it to seal properly and we're in business. Opened up the drum after flushing with solvent cleaner. Ill hopefully wipe it out tonight then clean with some water-soluble degreaser, then have a go at burning it out. Also got the mesh for the grates as I don't seem to be able to blag a free Weber like some people on here and will cut the propane cylinder ready to make the ash catcher/grate.

Weber Go Anywhere.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:21 AM   #39
N8man
Babbling Farker

Default Drum Topper

That is a most unique drum lid you got there....Outstanding!!! Weld some fins on the bottom of your drum and it will look like a large firework!!!Lol
Keep us posted on your progress....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #40
Norcoredneck

Jihad killer ! Loaded with pork .

Brian in So Cal is going to be jealous.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #41
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
I first started using my drum in December and also thought about insulating mine. Of course So Cal soes not get exactly cold. I was going to use a blanket for a hot water heater. They sell a aluminum looking one around here. I ended up not buying it. The only problem I had with mine is with the wind. I started using the clamp band to better seal the lid. I tacked a set of vice grip pliers to it instead of threading thr bolt each time. Do you have weber kettlet or imitations there?
http://www.radiantguard.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=45
I've been pondering the lid seal too. Red silicone is good to 600 deg. F but probably not ideal if its a large gap. I happen to have about 50 pounds of fiberglass rope remnants. I plan to put down a bead of red silicone and then stick some fiberglass rope on it. If it don't work. I'll just peel it off and try something else; or not even worry about it.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #42
Browser
Full Fledged Farker

Tried the lid on last night, will look summat like this:

Just imagine the drum stripped and painted, probably black, and raised off the ground on it's custom dolly

Weber Go Anywhere.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #43
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Me thinks you need a fake fuse on it. ( Freak out the snotty neighbors mod )

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #44
Browser
Full Fledged Farker

Quick update on 'progress', I'm still assembling my kit of parts but will soon commence construction. Double-time at work is nice but when it only gives you one-and-a-half days off between shift sets it's a royal pain in the jacksie
Anhow, managed to source some grilles finally. I was balking at the cost of Weber ones as they're £18.99 each new and this kindas punched a hole in the whole 'build it fer next to nowt' ethic that is core to the UDS ethos, but managed to buy some from a company called Rectella International who sell Bar-Be-Quick grills and smokers. Their 22 inch kettle looks like a Weber knock off, but the food grilles are only £5.87 each posted so I got two quick! More of a pain in the posterior was trying to get summat suitably robust to make the firegrate out of. I'd settled on 12mm mild steel bar to cut into various lengths to make a circular grate from, but 12 metres only cost £9.00, and the steel stockholders minimum order is £20. Not even the offer of cash in hand, off the books could sway it, so I had another look round work. Came across several 3 metre lengths of inch OD by about 4mm wall boiler tube, sat rusting gently outside of one of our outside storerooms. Asked and was told "if it's outside, take it!" so I'm gonna. Tomorrow night's task at work'll be to cut the various lengths of pipe and if time permits weld them into a grate. If I get time Saturday night I'll carry on removing the lip at the top of the drum which was left when I cut the lid off with a nibbler. I've also 'obtained' some stainless 10mm bolts for the food grille supports. They're a bit OTT for the job but they were all my 'supplier' had on the shelf that were long enough .
After that, all I'll need to do is get the lid deburred, cut and fit the vent in said lid and polish the whole thing, get the charcoal ring rolled by a local fabricator, weld the ash pan on, make the frame, fit the wheels, make the handle brackets and handles and paint the whole thing, not much really

Weber Go Anywhere.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #45
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Masterbuilt also makes a Weber clone and I called for a replacement grate: $9.95 (before shipping)

From amazon.com
Weber 72801 Replacement Charcoal Grate: $9.99
Weber 70915 Replacement Hinged Cooking Grate:$16.99
+ free shipping for orders >$25

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote