Pastrami & Fatties on the High Plains - w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
During a good freezer dive this past week, I discovered a pre-corned brisket point that I've been saving for another pastrami cook.

I've tried a few methods and dry rubs, but I keep coming back to ThirdEye's Playing With Fire & Smoke page on the subject.

About 3 hours in apple wood smoke between 250-300F took the point to about 155F.

t5z7g83h.jpg

She's in the Instant Pot for a pressure finish. 30 minutes with a natural release (waiting... and waiting... and waiting for that natural release as we speak) before I give it a good probing.

Since I've got the kettle up and running, let's throw in a couple of fatties! (North of the Border's PC Willy's Green Chile & San Miguel Seasoning).

3wk01oqh.jpg

The Pastrami is destined to meet some rye, swiss cheese, mustard, kraut, and perhaps some dressing as tonight's dinner.

More to come. Hope your Saturday has been as relaxing as mine.

Do you use liquid and how much? You do the IP on stew/meat/high pressure?

All great questions. I started messing around with the IP Pressure Finish about a year ago when I was re-reading ThirdEye's page with all the finishing options.

- Liquid - I use the "grate" in the bottom of the IP and only put in enough water to be just below the grate. I always get more fat and juices in the bottom by the end of the finish.

- Stew/Meat/High Pressure - I stick with the Manual/High Pressure setting, and adjust for high altitude as ThirdEye mentions on the page. It's not a big change, but I've been successful with 30-45 min runs, ALWAYS with a natural release.

- Bark Concerns - I generally try to be very gentle with the pastrami, and I've had good luck with minimal bark loss. I generally let it rest on a cutting board, tented with foil (almost like a steak) after the pressure finish.

Though it's a pain waiting on the natural release, I love the fact that I can SMELL it finish as the weighted pressure release valve drops, and allows the "pastrami smell" to permeate the kitchen and breakfast nook (where I typically setup to wait... like now).

Hope that's helpful somehow.

Right as I pressed the button, the smell wafted over. Thin part probes like butter but the thick bit's not quite ready. 15 more minutes with a natural release.

Ate some of the bark off the meat fork. Hell, yes.

She probed like buttah!

Brief rest. Sliced a little against the grain for cook's treat.

Joel, see what you think with the bark here - seems to be pretty thick to me. It's still moist, so it'll flake off a bit, but I'm trying to not manhandle the pastrami.

lPKDJIgh.jpg

RpVSYtBh.jpg

Concerned about the T3's take on the pepper in the bark, but I'll bet she could make a meal out of the bean dip we made.

KIWRaf0h.jpg

V6PKMbKh.jpg

Hard to be mad at either the meat or the little one when they both look like that! We’ll done!

I'm with Munchkin I too could make a meal out of been dip, however that pastrami looks amazing.

I'm with Munchkin I too could make a meal out of been dip, however that pastrami looks amazing.

Cheers, Bill.

It's an old family secret recipe that combines refried beans, chili powder, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, and cheese. In this version, I used New Mexico Chili Powder, along with monterey jack & cheddar cheeses. It's completely to taste, so I have no idea how much of what I added.

The sandwiches went over pretty well, and our Munchkin destroyed hers.

Di2E8tWh.jpg

That said, we had a meltdown after she turned down additional bean dip, so I made sure to put the container in the fridge for tomorrow.

How dare I? :tsk: :doh: :noidea:

If I could get a smile like that every time I cooked something, you wouldn't get me out of the kitchen. You did have a great Saturday! Nicely done.

Looks like a cool day of food and fam on the high plains - that's where it's at! :cool:

Loving all that! Haven't made pastrami in a long time, but partially by design. I have little to no self-control when it comes to that stuff. Don't get me started on bean dip either, unless you're trying to get rid of all of it as soon as possible.

Good Lord the Munchkin is cute! I would be defenseless against that smile....

Epilogue.

Griddled fatty slices, beans, hashed browns, fried egg with red chile sauce.

KjbuUwYl.jpg

Munchkin devoured her Wright's bacon, but then wanted that small slice of fatty "end cap" that didn't get any red chile on it. That's my girl.

Time to gear up for the Carolinas' Cardiac Cats vs the Houston Texans game.

Y'all have a great Sunday.

Wow, Marc! :-D

I've been jonesing for some pastrami for a while now. All the killer cooks I've seen have been pressure cook finished. More ammo for me to go to my wife on an Insta Pot. :-D

Fantastic pastrami, Marc! :thumb:

Back