MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Plata-O-Plomo
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Martin
Default How Low Does Your YS640 Go?

In a nutshell I love making jerky and smoked fish. Years ago I got away from smoking the jerky because I could not maintain the low temps needed to dry and not cook the meat. Likewise, I was limited to smoking fish in the winter when the temps cooled down enough to allow my smoker to get at or near the Mendoza Line (if you know baseball you know that's 200). I purchased the YS640 when the "S" models came out specifically for the thickness of the chamber walls to help maintain temps when the snow flies. I would like to ask fellow Yoder peeps if you have run the temps really low and if they were consistent. I am talking in that 170 range.

By the way, making Sam the Cooking Guy's Make This Then That Meat Loaf this afternoon. Got some fresh Sheepherders and Sourdough bread from the bakery for left over sandwiches.

Sam the Cooking Guy's web site and U-tube channel is pretty good. Just an FYI.

Life is good!

POP
YS 640s Comp Cart, UDS #1 Fat Man, UDS #2 Little Boy, Large BGE
Plata-O-Plomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
Nomamm
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ryan

I have had no problem keeping the Yoder at 170*. It does fluctuate a lot though. I have seen swing up 20* and down 10*. But it works.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
Joshw
Babbling Farker

The Yoder makes fantastic jerky.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...ighlight=jerky
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

The inability of all the pellet cookers I looked at to do the lower temperatures I wanted pushed them out of the running.
So I use an Amazen tray and pellets or dust to do the smoking I want.

I do a lot of cold smoking, like Salmon, Bacon, and nuts.
The reason I use the tray is it can burn Pellets, or dust made from the pellets.

(I ordered mine through Home Depot for the lowest price, and free shipping.)

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
Plata-O-Plomo
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Martin

Thanks for the replies everyone! Very good information.

Josh, that jerky looks awesome. I found that my local Costco sells a package of two eye of rounds. I make jerky out of one and freeze the other for two weeks down the line for my next batch.

Sonny, I have one of the tubes that use at times. I will have to look into cold smoking.

Thanks again

POP
YS 640s Comp Cart, UDS #1 Fat Man, UDS #2 Little Boy, Large BGE
Plata-O-Plomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

Cold Smoking is just applying smoke at <100° F. (Less than 100° F)
For Jerky, sometimes I will smoke the meat a bit, then continue with the marinating/seasoning process.
I use a dehydrator anymore to make my Jerky after it's ready. Works better than the other ways I've tried or used in the past.
But yeah, cold smoke, then cook the meat the way you like it.

I cold smoke my Salmon after curing it with Salt and Brown Sugar. I use Herb Good's method for Dry Brineing frozen filets from Costco or Sam's Club.
Works great for me, and since I'm the only one who eats fish in the Family, I do a whole bag up and repackage (vacuum bagged) it after my process with some dill added.
Then refreeze it to enjoy one or two at a time.
I use to just boil it in the bag. But now I Sous Vide heat it to 145°F and it cooks it in the bag to finish it for eating.

I make my own Bacon. Here again, curing it, then Cold Smoking it with Apple Wood Pellets made into sawdust. I go through a very lengthy process that amounts to 28 days. 2 weeks curing, 1 week forming the Pelical, Smoke for 6 hours, then ageing for 1 week, at that point I slice it and package it in 8 ounce Vacuum Packages for freezing.
(My wife would thaw out a pound, cut it in half, and use a half pound. So I decided to make it easier and just package it in 1/2 pound packages.)

But cold smoking is easy to do. Just use your Yoder with the heat off and light up your tube.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #7
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

I made jerky on my YS640 in August, ran 170 for several hours and it never fluctuated more than 5 degrees.