MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
Casey3115
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Cinder block pit experimenting

So last year I put together a cinder block pit at a buddy's house so we could cook a whole hog. I don't think I posted pics of that build or cook but it was pretty standard. Large rectangle with openings on both ends to shovel coals all day fom a separate fire pit. Probably why I didn't take a lot of photos. It was a lot of work.

A few weeks ago I decided to do something with all the cinder blocks that have been sitting around. I decided to change the dimensions a bit a try to make an offset smoker.

I have experimented a bunch and changed things around, and around while doing test burns. This version seems to be working pretty good now.

I ended up digging the firebox down one course which has worked out great. There is a sideways block under the grate from fire box to cook chamber, and the chimney starts below the grate as well on the other side. When the firebox was up higher the heat wouldn't flow well over the food because the pass through was not high enough in the fire box. Digging down allowed for the fire to be plenty low and far from the lid while also making the pass thru at the very top of the firebox if that makes sense.

I got a piece of steel for the fire box lid but still need to come up with something better for the cooking chamber lid. That corrugated stuff worked fine for the hog pit but now as a smoker that I want to draft well, it isn't great. I was waiting to make sure the design was going to work well before getting a big piece of steel to make a tighter sealing lid but after this weekend cook of ribs and pastrami I think I'll go ahead and do it.
Casey3115 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

Are you an engineer by profession? This was WAYYYYY too thought out. lol
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Nice work!
Mine's not air tight. I just add hot coals to each end, (under hams and shoulders when cooking pigs) the center cooks by indirect heat.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #4
Casey3115
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickd26 View Post
Are you an engineer by profession? This was WAYYYYY too thought out. lol
Well it didn't start thought out. Was just a pile of blocks but after lighting fires in it and watching it draft, checking temps at the grate in different spots, etc it turned into this.

And I am actually an engineer too. Coincidence though.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey3115 View Post

...And I am actually an engineer too. Coincidence though.
Funny! I'm not an engineer, but I work with a $hit ton that are. I can spot your breed a mile away. Anyone reading this... Don't argue with this man! He definitely knows what he's doing! And, most likely... he's correct. Have a good night!
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-10-2019, 01:52 AM   #6
Weaverspitbbq
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Ron

Ife is trial and error ...necessity is the mother of inventing
Weaverspitbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2019, 04:09 AM   #7
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Nice!
Here is just one from another Brethren.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=246017
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2019, 05:56 AM   #8
effinUker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim, Moon

That's just awesome.
effinUker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
creek bottom
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joe

Very cool!!! The food looks pretty amazing too!!!

A1 Competition Smoker; Meadow Creek 96; Oklahoma Joe's Bronco (gone but not forgotten); Weber 26" & 22" Kettles; Camp Chef XXL Pellet Smoker; Blackstone 22" Portable; Weber 300 Series Gasser; Masterbuilt 30" Electric Cabinet
creek bottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #10
charcoalwilly
Full Fledged Farker

That is fantastic. How did it compare to cooking with other traditional smokers?

Old 09-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #11
BBQ Bacon
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dean

Nice. How well would this hold up to real high temps? Wondering how this would work for a outdoor oven/pizza oven.
thecanuckfoodie.wordpress.com/
BBQ Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #12
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This is what happens when you sit in a lawn chair with a beer and get a stupid idea...

As a rule Engineers engineer and Model Makers make models. Once in a while you find a few of us that excel at both!
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #13
Casey3115
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charcoalwilly View Post
That is fantastic. How did it compare to cooking with other traditional smokers?
Very similar to other offsets I have used. The thing is really big though so I am adding wood more frequently.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #14
Casey3115
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bacon View Post
Nice. How well would this hold up to real high temps? Wondering how this would work for a outdoor oven/pizza oven.
I don't think it would. The blocks around the firebox get hotter than I thought they would. It would need to be lined with fire brick. And the metal lid I have on there is only 12 gauge. It starts to deform if I get the smoker up to 300 in the food chamber at grate level.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
Casey3115
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
This is what happens when you sit in a lawn chair with a beer and get a stupid idea...

As a rule Engineers engineer and Model Makers make models. Once in a while you find a few of us that excel at both!
Ed
This is interesting. I'm actually a design engineer. I am a builder, designer, do a lot of model making and prototyping.