• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beef Shenanigans on the High Plains - w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Today's plan of attack materialized throughout the course of running errands late yesterday morning. I needed some roasted rice powder to make more Larb (Thai meat salad), so I stopped off at the oriental grocery store "downtown." There, I discovered some kalbi beef marinade.

I've been rewatching the Ugly Delicious episodes, then I hit the Barbecue Episode. I'm intrigued by the idea of crossing beef shorties with kalbi beef flavors. So, here we go!

VEFDeN2h.jpg

Then, I stopped in at the butcher to see if anything struck my fancy. I found a really nice deal on some precorned brisket point that's lower in sodium, to boot! Pastrami, here we come!

8dxtOW9h.jpg

I really don't feel like firing up the big offset for a couple of cooks today, and I haven't smoked on my Weber kettle in a LONG time. It's on the back porch where I can easily get to it. Perfect.

I'm following Thirdeye's advice and direction (as per always) for this pastrami.

No soak for me, but a good rinse and rub while the kettle warms.

5nLLItEh.jpg

I forgot just how fast this smaller space comes up to temp, and how well it holds with those firebricks in there to create the direct and indirect zones.

LXUfxb5h.jpg

Ahh... CINCHOUSE has risen, so we're about to get some good coffee and work on breakfast. It's a beautiful day here with a little chill in the air.

I know the old adage of "If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'," but I just had to take a quick peek.

2-ish hours into the cook. Kettle's running a touch hotter than I'm used to at 300-310F.

kRyw4Ojh.jpg

XEoG1V6h.jpg

IT of 141F. Going to about 160F, then into the Instant Pot for the pressure finish.

Looks like you got a fantastic day going over there! The simplicity of a kettle cook is a beautiful thang indeed. Looking forward to seeing some slices! :hungry:

Back