Back in the Saddle - 1st cook of 2019. - w/ Pr0n

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Thankful that CINCHOUSE is happy with me cleaning off/out my offset, then whipping up some grub for Weds night (and beyond).

I've seen quite a few posts about pastrami as of late, and it's made me jealous. Made the trip to Wally World for a precorned brisket point (only place in town that carries the points).

I gave this one a soak for about 90 min in fresh water.

e90bD89h.jpg

As per usual, I'm rolling with a combo of rub recipes on ThirdEye's Pastrami Page.

alSuXbyh.jpg

UqnW6Vsh.jpg

This is resting in the fridge for tomorrow's date with the smoker.

I have a JD Hot chub itching for some sort of rub to fill my need to smoke a fatty.

A rack of spares from the deep freeze awaits my first attempt at using cowgirl's bacon grease slather, followed by some Q-Salt and John Henry Pecan.

Smoking mid-week is so satisfying... :becky:

More to follow.

Not a long enough soak IMHO. Needs overnight. Last one I made with a short soak was way too salty.

I have 2 store bought corned flats in my basement fridge waiting for the same treatment!

Not a long enough soak IMHO. Needs overnight. Last one I made with a short soak was way too salty.

I've soaked overnight. I've soaked for 12 hours. I've soaked for 6 hours. I've done just a rinse before rub application. I have yet to make the consistent connection between the soak/water change and sodium level in the pastrami. Perhaps I like to live dangerously.

It'll buff out.

I've soaked overnight. I've soaked for 12 hours. I've soaked for 6 hours. I've done just a rinse before rub application. I have yet to make the consistent connection between the soak/water change and sodium level in the pastrami. Perhaps I like to live dangerously.

It'll buff out.
Rebel! :loco:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome home, Marc. Glad to see you up to the same old shenanigans. Will check out the finished product tomorrow.:thumb:

It'll buff out.

Welcome back! And I'm in the same boat of can't tell much of a difference from soaking time. I rinse, season and go :-D. Some of that salt has to come out I guess. I need to google and see if I can find some form of sodium test on different soak times.

+1 on the no soak. I just cooked some. Rinsed, seasoned, and cooked. I do find that home cured benefits from a soak, not sure what the difference is.

Mornin', folks!

Good to have the smoke rolling, despite some blustery conditions. Thankful that my offset is rather protected by the corner of the house and a fence, otherwise it'd be rather untenable.

C0kyyC3h.jpg

Officially off and running after a bit of clean up, and preheating.

Fatty and ribs still yet to come.

This is my first attempt at using Cowgirl's bacon grease slather technique.

Ei5LmxTh.jpg

I decided to hit the bottom of the rack with Naturiffic Q-Salt (for a good base of flavor, and lower chance of any burning).

fm3XoYzh.jpg

I hit the top of the rack with John Henry's Pecan for a sweeter flavor.

BTjAs9eh.jpg

I got "creative" with the rib tips/trimmings... and applied Dizzy Dust to some, and AlbuKirky Red Chile to others.

Accidentally got some of the bacon grease/rub on my fingers when I transferred the ribs to the smoker. Dayum, it tasted good.

Offset's been cruising along at 275ish with minimal maintenance. Taking the pastrami to about 150-155F before I bring her inside for the pressure finish.

Pastrami is in the instant pot, and I'm waiting for the natural release from the first trip through the high pressure finish.

The ribs are looking good after about 90 min on the smoker.

OpdKBNqh.jpg

Rib Tips & trimmings are looking delicious... can't wait to start pulling those off for a snack.

Added a fatty to the sauna.

k1JmzqTh.jpg

Back