Compart Duroc?

PatAttack

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Anyone out there use this company? I've thought about it but their farking shipping prices are farking OUTRAGEOUS!!

$170.00 for a 2 butt 4 St. Louis rib pack which is not that bad. Then $104.00 at least for shipping. Whoa, too rich for my blood.

The pork we use is an absolute delicious heritage breed but lacks a money muscle big enough to work with. Ribs are same variety but come with shiners and super crooked bones.:mad:

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Rub uses Compart Duroc and does well... maybe he'll chime in here?

I am sponsored by them. I first found out about Compart Duroc at Standard Market in IL when we were filming Pitmasters. I bought about 10 racks of ribs to bring home with me and try here. They were meaty and marbled. I think I was in the top 3 in ribs the next 3 contests using them. After that I didn't have easy access so I quit using them.

The product I receive now is great. I wouldn't call the MM huge, but they are average size. Very well marbled. The St. Louie cut ribs average 3 pounds. Also very well marbled. I would say the bones on average are straighter than Sam's or RD. But not 100% of the time. Personally I feel people put too much emphasis on straight bones. That is a fraction of the smallest fraction of the judging criteria. I'll take marbled and meaty over straight bones every day. The taste on both butts and ribs is superior to any pork I've bought from Sam's or RD, or anywhere for that matter. It's a flavor you can't get from an injection, it's real pork flavor.

Are they worth the extra price? That's up to the individual. Can you consistently nail ribs and pork? If so these are worth a shot. If you're not quite where you need to be on ribs and pork, these won't make you a better cook. Comparable to regular brisket vs. Wagyu. Master the commodity pork first, then make the move to a superior product.

Hope this helps.

I am sponsored by them. I first found out about Compart Duroc at Standard Market in IL when we were filming Pitmasters. I bought about 10 racks of ribs to bring home with me and try here. They were meaty and marbled. I think I was in the top 3 in ribs the next 3 contests using them. After that I didn't have easy access so I quit using them.

The product I receive now is great. I wouldn't call the MM huge, but they are average size. Very well marbled. The St. Louie cut ribs average 3 pounds. Also very well marbled. I would say the bones on average are straighter than Sam's or RD. But not 100% of the time. Personally I feel people put too much emphasis on straight bones. That is a fraction of the smallest fraction of the judging criteria. I'll take marbled and meaty over straight bones every day. The taste on both butts and ribs is superior to any pork I've bought from Sam's or RD, or anywhere for that matter. It's a flavor you can't get from an injection, it's real pork flavor.

Are they worth the extra price? That's up to the individual. Can you consistently nail ribs and pork? If so these are worth a shot. If you're not quite where you need to be on ribs and pork, these won't make you a better cook. Comparable to regular brisket vs. Wagyu. Master the commodity pork first, then make the move to a superior product.

Hope this helps.

Rub - perhaps you could pass the feedback along to Compart regarding their shipping though. I keep meaning to tell Mike Davis this same thing. When you see how much SRF charges for shipping it makes the Compart tough to justify.

I'd buy the ribs at $20/rack but for a $160 order I have to tack on $70 in shipping. I'm sure they're doing what they can but I can't help but think they're online retail business would benefit greatly from improved shipping rates.

I've purchased from them 3 times to test cook the product for competition and was disappointed each time in the cut of the butts and the thinness of the ribs. Finsihed product was not impressive (maybe that was my fault). The people I know who use them are sponsored so I assume they get a cost break but they are also happy with the product. For me, the cost was not worth it.

Check with your local meat locker/supplier. My local guy can order me in compart butts and ribs, just needs a two week lead time. Was maybe double price per pound of commodity

The ribs come in individual packs with membranes removed, they need very little prep. They are also very consistent, eliminating a lot of running around hunting for ribs. I really, really wanted the Compart ribs to work for me, but I turned in some of my worst rib scores last year using them.

I know of at least one local team in northeast that uses them with a lot of success, so I guess I'm the problem, not the ribs.

Anyway, my point is, at least for the ribs cooking them the same way as commodity ribs does NOT work. You will have to adjust times and temps. The same thing may be true for the butts, so I would advise a lot of practice first.

Never been impressed with duroc. pork butt money muscles are too small and the ribs aren't meaty enough for my standards. I ordered a case last year and only 2 were good enough for cooking at a contest.

Tried ribs and butts and not impressed with either, especially considering the price. MM too small and ribs light and thin. I'm sure they have better examples but unless you are "someone" you'll never see them.

I just tried Creekstone Duroc ribs this past weekend. Out of the three slabs I used, I was able to salvage 6 ribs for turn in. They were small and thin for the most part. I'll stick with commodity for now. At least I can say I tried them. I've got two butts from them too, they are smaller. I don't know if I'll try those at my next comp.

Tried ribs and butts and not impressed with either, especially considering the price. MM too small and ribs light and thin. I'm sure they have better examples but unless you are "someone" you'll never see them.

It's amazing what someone can do with a little imagination and good knife skills. I am in no way sponsored by anyone and I do use Duroc pork. To me and evidently to judges the flavor is better. When I order butts and ribs, I do get some pieces that are questionable, but I cook them and move on. Flavor is the heaviest scoring of the weighted categories and I have turned in some not so great looking boxes that have scored in the mid 170's just because it tastes great. There may be teams out there getting choice cuts of great meat, but A good cook can take the smaller cuts and still win with them. But what do I know, I'm noboby, like most of you out there.

I love both of them. I was buying them from a market before I got sponsored. On the butts you have to really pay attention trimming. Once you get the hang of that they are awesome.

good post, I literally ordered a case of ribs and 4 butts last week, going to do some playing around with em these next couple of weeks. I'm planning on making the switch just because the inconsistency of IBP/Rest Depot stuff. I'm to the point where I don't care if the ribs are thin and the butts are small, I just want consistent, which it sounds like Compart is. I'm going to create a new time line for smaller to me meats and go from there.

Interesting feedback. Curious where you do get your meat as we don't have a Duroc budget. Thanks for any info...

Back