Brisket & Venison Backstrap Chops

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Wednesday I cooked up my 2nd brisket in my Vision Kamado. I picked up a 14.25 pounder from Sam's and used Bludawgs KISS method for cooking. My last one turned out so good, I saw no reason to change it up.

After getting up and getting a cup of coffee made, I fired the coals in the kamado and while it came up to temp, set in on trimming and rubbing the brisket down.

Getting ready to start...

Trimmed and hit with Oakridge's Black Ops - really digging this stuff.

While the pit was coming up to temp, I got some heat going under a cast iron skillet and tossed in a few venison butterflied backstop chops for breakfast. Those were seasoned up with a little bit of Oakridge's venison and wild game rub.

Plated with an over easy egg and my old Marbles

I didn't get any picture along the way and barely remembered to snap a picture of the finished product but this was my best brisket to date. I wrapped at the 4 hour mark in butchers paper, at the 5 1/2 hour mark I pulled it out of the paper to probe and the amount of juices in the paper were incredible. It took another hour for it to hit the probe tender mark and at that point I pulled it, wrapped it loosely in some butchers paper and set on the counter to rest. An hour and 1/2 later I started slicing and what I found was the juiciest brisket I've ever had. Tender, good beef flavor with a hint of smoke and rub. Perfect in my book.

I managed to snap one picture - not the greatest but it at least shows the smoke ring pretty well.

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Back