MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #16
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullenbranson View Post
Maybe worth mentioning that the layer of ash, or stuff, all over the foiled food and brats was so uniform, that maybe it's unlikely that is was caused by flying ash from dripping fat. Also might have lied about having a good clean fire. I recall thinking the fire was a bit hot for brats, closer to a 2-mississippi fire, so I closed the bottom and top vents just a bit. Could I have choked it? And if so, could that produce the black all over everything?

Regarding fuel - I assume as MBSHOP notes then, that all natural briquettes produce a ton of ash? I would go all lump, but I seem to have a problem finding bags that I like to put in my kettle. Most of the lump goes straight through the charcoal grate. I've tried the second grate at 90 degrees method. Didn't find it too life-changing. Felt a little foolish continuing to burn that money up . . . without letting it heat my food.

Thanks to all for the input.
are you sure its ash? Sounds like soot from a dirty fire to me
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #17
cullenbranson
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I'm not sure it's ash. Looked like ash on the foil and food . . . tiny gray flecks. But cleaning it off the brats and food with a finger or paper towel, I just wasn't sure. That's the crux of this, am I just making dirty fires and don't know it? I don't know how I could be. Only thing I can think is that closing the vents a bit to drop heat, caused a stall or something. If that is feasible, I suppose it was quite possibly a dirty fire. I needed pics.

Need to do some follow up with same fuel and take some suggestions here, and record the whole fiasco if something comes up again.
cullenbranson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #18
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Is there any chance someone bumped the grill. The only times I get ash on the food is when the grill has been moved or bumped.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #19
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I'm not sure it's ash. Looked like ash on the foil and food . . . tiny gray flecks. But cleaning it off the brats and food with a finger or paper towel, I just wasn't sure. That's the crux of this, am I just making dirty fires and don't know it? I don't know how I could be. Only thing I can think is that closing the vents a bit to drop heat, caused a stall or something. If that is feasible, I suppose it was quite possibly a dirty fire. I needed pics.

Need to do some follow up with same fuel and take some suggestions here, and record the whole fiasco if something comes up again.
one reason it seems to me that it is soot or something like that is from what I am reading it is evenly distributed on the meat which would seem like its soot. I don't think ash would evenly coat all the meat, you would have it in some places not others, depending on where it falls
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #20
1buckie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Maybe worth mentioning that the layer of ash, or stuff, all over the foiled food and brats was so uniform, that maybe it's unlikely that is was caused by flying ash from dripping fat. Also might have lied about having a good clean fire. I recall thinking the fire was a bit hot for brats, closer to a 2-mississippi fire, so I closed the bottom and top vents just a bit. Could I have choked it? And if so, could that produce the black all over everything?

Regarding fuel - I assume as MBSHOP notes then, that all natural briquettes produce a ton of ash? I would go all lump, but I seem to have a problem finding bags that I like to put in my kettle. Most of the lump goes straight through the charcoal grate. I've tried the second grate at 90 degrees method. Didn't find it too life-changing. Felt a little foolish continuing to burn that money up . . . without letting it heat my food.

Thanks to all for the input.
^^^^ This......is sort of at odds with this vvvvvv

"but the brats themselves weren't going crazy with fat flying."

they'll let you know if it's way too hot from that 'fat frying noise' they make......
Really likely it was just a bit of (or just enough of) a stall out in the movement.......just enough to cause a welling up of creosote.....

I get it sometimes when starting off too fast on one kettle while I'm paying attention to four others.....it happens......

Small, clean fire (the smallest needed for whatever you're doing) is still the optimum on this machine......
1buckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #21
cullenbranson
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1buckie View Post
^^^^ This......is sort of at odds with this vvvvvv
I took it to just shy of 4-mississippi prior to putting on brats.

thanks for advice. I am going to try cooking a bit hotter and with top vent completely open. Making an effort to only use as much fuel as is needed for small hot fire.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #22
tb80
Take a breath!

Is it possible it is soot from the grill rubbing off on your brats?

Old 06-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #23
1buckie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I took it to just shy of 4-mississippi prior to putting on brats.

thanks for advice. I am going to try cooking a bit hotter and with top vent completely open. Making an effort to only use as much fuel as is needed for small hot fire.

Give that stuff a try & see how it goes......I could be all wet (or covered in ash) but it seems like it would help.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb80 View Post
Is it possible it is soot from the grill rubbing off on your brats?
Likely not just dropping from the lid, it sounds like an even, very fine coating.....?

Old 06-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #24
cullenbranson
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1buckie View Post
Give that stuff a try & see how it goes......I could be all wet (or covered in ash) but it seems like it would help.....

Likely not just dropping from the lid, it sounds like an even, very fine coating.....?
Yes, very even fine coating. I should've mentioned I also rubbed my hand on the lid after cooking . . . nothing. No blackness to speak of. Not sure if it's relevant. If it's soot, would it be evident all over the inside?

I'll solve this with you alls help and will take pics next time. Without inviting more "some ash is normal" talk, cause I agree, it bothers me so much to think I may be making dirty fires without knowing and feeding the tainted food to my young'ns. Soot or creosote being my concerns.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #25
cullenbranson
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Is there any chance someone bumped the grill. The only times I get ash on the food is when the grill has been moved or bumped.
I suppose anything's possible. Two kiddos and a pup. The pup thinks the kettle is something evil when it's fired up so it doesn't come around.

I assume you use briquettes?

Been reading a bit that some of the bags of Stubbs seem more powdery than others. I think I have to agree. I love the stuff and use it for long cooks too. But I'm almost thinking at this point that it's gets so coated with ash sometimes that it's choking the fire out. Anyone think that's possible? I don't knock 'em clean or anything when I'm grilling.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #26
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
That's my guess.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #27
cullenbranson
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclite View Post
That's my guess.
I'm obviously in no position to agree or disagree at this point. Knowing the facts as stated in the original post:

1) 2/3 chimney full of newly opened Stubbs. 1/3 full of fairly old Frontier lump
2) Started in the kettle with weber starter cube
3) Dumped on grate when ready and kettle closed up for heating
4) Left to heat about 30+ minutes
5) Cooking grate brushed and food put on

Kettle was pretty clean prior to cook. I removed all the ash n such from previous day's rib cook before lighting the chimney. The kettle itself is pretty well crusted on the inside.

What can I be missing in that process? Only thing I can think is I choked it down when trying to lower the heat. Is that possible? Might be a problem I have.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #28
1buckie
Babbling Farker

Most cookers of any type will benefit from coming up underneath the cooking temp, rather than any move to squelch it back down from a higher heat.....UDS owners say this, WSM owners say this, most offset owners say this, there may be some type of cookers that need to start up higher (propane smoker?) & then be pinched downward, but as a general rule, you wouldn't want to get too, too much over the heat you want to cook at......

I go a bit higher up when adding large chunks, brisket / butt type things, as the cold mass drops it into the groove anyway............

Old 06-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #29
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I suppose anything's possible. Two kiddos and a pup. The pup thinks the kettle is something evil when it's fired up so it doesn't come around.

I assume you use briquettes?

Been reading a bit that some of the bags of Stubbs seem more powdery than others. I think I have to agree. I love the stuff and use it for long cooks too. But I'm almost thinking at this point that it's gets so coated with ash sometimes that it's choking the fire out. Anyone think that's possible? I don't knock 'em clean or anything when I'm grilling.
I use briquettes. Rereading your post, I realize that ash is usually not black. I never run my kettles without the upper vent wide open, so I could see where incomplete combustion could lead to soot. The only time I see soot in my kettles is when I don't set the lid on tight after shutting down all the vents at the end of a cook, which allows air in, allowing incomplete combustion. When I open them up for the next cook, anything left inside has soot on it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #30
cullenbranson
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
I use briquettes. Rereading your post, I realize that ash is usually not black. I never run my kettles without the upper vent wide open, so I could see where incomplete combustion could lead to soot. The only time I see soot in my kettles is when I don't set the lid on tight after shutting down all the vents at the end of a cook, which allows air in, allowing incomplete combustion. When I open them up for the next cook, anything left inside has soot on it.
Do you completely seal up after cooks? I sometimes do not, with no logic behind it. I have found that my cooking grate is almost always coated with a sticky tar like substance around the perimeter (where it's hard for the brush to reach) as opposed to building up the protective crust like the rest of the inside of the grill. Can this be bad buildup from result of not completing a cook properly? I believe this stuff is melting away during long cooks and landing in the ash catcher too. Never think much of it. But thinking now . . . is this okay? I don't believe it is always from the food. Pics to follow

thanks

Last edited by cullenbranson; 06-02-2015 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: added " . . . melting away . . . "

Tags
ash, kettle, ots, Stubbs