• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Pork Butt au Naturel

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
No rub on this one. Just the heat, the smoke, and the meat. It went on early one morning and smoked for about 8 hours, pulled it and let it rest in a cooler for two hours. It's tender, juicy, and very tasty. If you've never tried BBQ pork with a bark that isn't created by sugar and rub, you are missing out. It was served with some Shack sauce (not pictured) and Griffin sauce on the side.

BBQPorkauNaturel_zpsa362008b.jpg

This is how I'm doing butts from now on. A few weeks ago off the Lexington pork thread I just k salted a butt and put it on until it was 200. It was some of the best pork I've had. The next will be like yours, no salt. No more foiling, etc, or injecting on a regular basis.

My Bo what a nice bare neked Butt you have:p I hear ya I iant gone neked......yet!!! However I have been tempted :mrgreen: I do like a salted Butt. I feel the salt helps to carry the flavor a tad, more than acting as a seasoning.

Wow, that is nice coloring. After 8 hours - my butts are pretty well approaching black. Did you wrap at all?

In any case - nice work! It looks delicious. :thumb:

Great looking butt bo! I've never gone necked but most of the butts I cook are with just kosher salt may have to give it a go naked.

My Bo what a nice bare neked Butt you have:p I hear ya I iant gone neked......yet!!! However I have been tempted :mrgreen: I do like a salted Butt. I feel the salt helps to carry the flavor a tad, more than acting as a seasoning.

Dawg, go natch'l, then use this:

MeatBATS005.jpg

Just a thought.....................

Nice red butt Mr. Bo !!!!

Gonna have to try it.

I dont wrap and use very little rub already.

How are you guys getting the reddish color on your butts? Mine always end up pretty black which im ok with cause I like the bark but im really curious what yall do different. Im gonna go out on a limb and guess you are wrapping when you get the color you want but am not sure

My pic was no wrap, very little season but then I injected (that washed away most of the rub). I think a basted a couple times with with the injection (injection was cooking on the pit). No wrapping necessary

How are you guys getting the reddish color on your butts? Mine always end up pretty black which im ok with cause I like the bark but im really curious what yall do different. Im gonna go out on a limb and guess you are wrapping when you get the color you want but am not sure

Could be dead wrong, but I think there's some secret handshake thing going on..............:shock:

It looks good from here! I just reached the fabulous world of BBQ and i cam't go back to Italian style!

Back