MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : WvQ
Default Cleaning Vertical Smoker

I know with a Drum it’s very little cleanup as the drippings end up on the coals. With a vertical offset smoker how often if at all do you clean the interior of the box?

Old 09-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Both mine and others I've seen. Besides dumping the ashes after each cook.
I have to vacuum my vertical after every few cooks. As ashes do get everywhere. Everywhere the ash pan doesn't cover.
With my drum, I just sweep up all the ashes using a long handled dust pan/broom.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

I, uh, humm...
I have a CharBroil gasser that I vacuum out the bottom now and then. Because drippings tend to build up and can cause a flare up if new grease drips on them.
So that's what I do. There isn't any build up above the grates.
Mostly Chicken and Baby Back Ribs gets cooked in the gasser.

My smokers are electric and I basically use them as a temperature controlled outdoor smoking oven, they are highly modified from original. Because I do more cold to warm smoking, and the smoke goes from a box through 96" of aluminum tubing to cool it and condense out any creosote or ash from the smoldering pellets or sawdust.
The creosote tends to flake itself off inside the box where the pellets/dust burn.
But inside the oven box only has a patina of smoke, no heavy build up. Very thin blue smoke emerges when in use.
I smoke for curing and flavor, not to cook.
The ash from that generally gets dumped from the tray the next day.
I mostly cure and smoke Bacon and Salmon.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

I just lay a piece of foil in the botton of mine and just toss away after every use or if cooking chicken that drips a lot of grease then I use a foil pan to catch it .

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
cleaning grills, vertical offset