• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thanks for your advice a little while back...time to start smoking

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
hefmiwJA2a3QzmWgbQRwiHQ15PV9UsdQBPKF2F3PprvZ7ODqDigixnlXJPAM2jb9jhhxRRXDkRNxuBslueOv5gVyT8TO4ZW7C3GAigq2XD5ouOwnDcCxZHQYd8tlfhD6J6jGCZKbDUdL6zS5hx2kVnQlQlbiRGu_M8Z8lKPpTh_7lnZXggnTjs2h8Ui5abDcQQQUlQMwNw6iJyBj3uUtqoWRtaSrqeXyJIJX1EwW1sBMbneW9ICD4pGq6pHTY6WMVY35Yr2kl1b8BX_KKdiI3pO1r60wDTqGRdnvY4HA9Yaxsbpub2NRNC62V9jFbQjkarMYnjFFtHNi1V1T7u7rtc1__VKlqhduR3R4bCyQkmGswEHaXps86MnANLnsi4Sx6W8c3ggN2nRMOndPNTDKHddF6JIgqMyKTyNEKPxZyKFNzKwvk1jSrlwrp_5ng0YxXZoHVn0QwCDsjDZy-MegUV8U4z2SnaOQ07m6iwSqcV5uUshUILMjNsiEGdv5S6Oyh3S2SRAiMB7_oAykC2ooA9cVJXOtChUx4DqGKfcFZzKY6FgpGn7jtPc-wrzVCcWx3EsF2KY3QZmTHcRnVG94f63Bf5Tc6Y4TAgiRiFCKipX3J7riMaBD_RjbYxaC5hBuIAJ1DUAuyP3g3triV4iUDg3fCntn_Y4SG874rhHrrgiSf7qOFZ0IAcjey6baMtR7D4kGh9Z6C5I3iNDkTEaCZ1I3C9HwLJ-jDiLV=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

Asked for advice for direction on what to purchase for my first smoker. After y'alls advice and research I settled on the Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5". Put it together yesterday and am ready to season it so I can do my first run on Saturday. Game Time!

Awesome. You’re gonna love it. I’ve had mine for years now and it’s been a work horse. Only advice I can give is to just use it and learn how yours likes to run. Once you get that figured out, everything is a breeze!! Happy smoking.

Unsolicited advice is my specialty. If I’ve learned anything over the time here...

1. Don’t fight the temps. Q is great cooked at 225-325. Sometimes all in the same session.
2. It’s done when it’s done. Time and temp are estimates...it looks/ feels right then it’s done.
3. Cooking is easy. Add rub or don’t. Add smoke or don’t. Inject or don’t. Find a simple method and tweak it a little to your preference.
4. You are your own worst critic. When I think my food is average people rave about it. When I think it’s good people are orgasmic about it.
5. Red thermometers are the fastest. Red smokers are offensive to Smitty.

That’s all you need to know. Now smoke on!

Oh wait.

6. Smoke a fatty.

Seasoning? I think it just takes a good wash and a wiping out before you cook for the first time. Does not require a seasoning cook like some cookers might.

Its going to run hot for the first several times you run it until it gets gunked up a bit. Don't freak out, just roll with it.

I've only used my WSM a few times and I'm still working on gunking it up but I have also found that if I try to mess with the vents too much my temps are all over the place. I think I need to learn to leave the cooker alone a little more.

Welcome to the WSM Club! One more thing to add... the WSM is like a gateway drug. One thing leads to another, feeds the monkey on your back, next thing you know you have a herd of cookers... it’s awesome!

This is very true. My first smoker was the WSM and after I decided it wasn't big enough, I went crazy from there trying out many different ones. It's a sickness. LOL

And so it begins.... have fun with it. You re going to have a good time and create some very good food.

Back