MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #31
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

About the only brand I haven't seen mentioned is Durkee's. Good darker chili powder.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #32
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I stick to penzeys for most spices. They might not be the bestest, but they seem better than the local grocery store offerings. All the bottles line up, which helps my matchy matchy syndrome. My power tools have to be the same brand, and my spices have to be the same brand. I buy their empty bottles for the 'countertop portions' of my Oakridge blends.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #33
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

If you are talking Menard's as in the home improvement store I would steer clear. Probably pretty old.

As mentioned above I use Williams Chili Seasoning. Keep in mind it is not chili powder but I like the flavor it brings.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Old 10-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #34
buckhorn_cortez
On the road to being a farker

New Mexico Chimayo red chile powder: https://madeinnewmexico.com/chimayo-...d-chile-powder

Link to the page listing all of the chile powders from The Chile Guy in Bernalillo, NM

https://www.thechileguy.com/category-powders/
buckhorn_cortez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #35
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

Go with Spice Barn and avoid the Penzys nonsense!

[URL="http://www.tooashamedtoname.com"]www.TooAshamedToName.com[/URL] - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 02:42 AM   #36
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

My next door neighbor has a dehydrator. You could use a smoker in any case. Get some fresh chilies from anywhere and dry and grind them.

He just gave me some dried and ground Carolina Reaper .... yeah because he's nuts for heat. I took the tiniest little bit and I was in pain for 30 minutes. Crying and laughing at the same time was I.

B
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #37
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label
Default All purpose Chili Powder needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shares View Post
Go with Spice Barn and avoid the Penzys nonsense!

Oh. Do explain. But. Read this first.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...48#post4392448
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #38
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Chili Powder Chile Powder
Versus
Taco Seasoning

Read the labels they’re really close if not identical in some instances. At times Taco Seasoning May have more of what you’re looking for and less of what you’re not. Don’t be afraid to mix and match. We cook a lot of soups stews chili Mexican Texican Mextex etc. I’m always experimenting. We just look for seasoning without msg-soy & soy bi products. Have fun experimenting. Naturiffic has a New Mexico Spice Blend, Sucklebusters has chili and Chile spices in their rubs, Oakridge too. Mild Bills is solid, Williams and Bolner Spices available easily.
Literally the possibilities stretch far.
Stretch it

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-28-2020, 05:57 AM   #39
icemanrc
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Rusty Cooke

McCormick is good. I get the the large sized ones from Sam’s
icemanrc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #40
SonVolt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SonVolt

Quick tip for those that find commercial chili powder gritty or sand-like. Rehydrate it in little boiling water for 15 minutes makes a world of difference in texture and flavor.
SonVolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #41
STCL01
On the road to being a farker

Make your own as needed. I have an old coffee grinder. I go to the local Mexican grocery store and buy dried anchos and other peppers. I grind them up and mix them to taste as needed. Much like fresh ground black pepper, you won't believe the difference in flavor.
STCL01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2020, 07:44 PM   #42
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Ive tried a lot of expensive brands, never happy with my own chili, my uncle makes really good chili, and he uses spice classics chili powder $1.00 a bottle.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #43
frayedend
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

I'm shocked no one has mentioned the Spice House. They have awesome spices, hot, medium and mild chili powder. They are actually family with the Penzeys. But they won't alienate half their customers with some political virtue signaling crap like Penzey did a few years ago.

Anyhow I highly recommend. https://www.thespicehouse.com/search?q=chili%20powder
frayedend is offline   Reply With Quote