MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Default Short Rib Help...

I'm going to our Sam's Club to pick up some short ribs. I'm told they come in a 2 pack of 4 ribs/. Do you smoke these like any other ribs? Do they take about the same time or do they take longer to render?

Old 07-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

LOVE the Sam's short ribs. I cook them like a combo between a brisket and ribs. Rub them like a brisket. I use olive oil and Oakridge Black Ops. You do not need to mess with the membrane. Just trim any hard fat.

Then I cook them at about 275 for 4-5 hours until they probe tender in all spots. Let them rest, wrapped in foil or butcher paper in a cooler for 30 min if you can let them.

Awesome!!

Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

See here:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=255420
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

What Joel said except I pull the membrane cause silverfinger to me to

Old 07-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
Dr. Weld
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Dr. Weld

I'm smoking short ribs tomorrow, with some chuck roast burnt ends.. First time for both, so I'll be checking in to see how you did..
Dr. Weld is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

a lot of times they do not have them set out as the whole ribs so you might have to ring the bell and ask for them . They tend to cook longer than pork ribs but kind of depends on what temp your cooking at too and your going to love that brisket on a stick .

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I do it a little bit different. I cooked some recently in my PK360 that came out great! I set the PK up for indirect and put a foil pan under the ribs. In the pan I added beef stock and some fresh herbs from the garden.

The ribs cooked at 275 for a couple of hours and I foiled them at that point. I degreased the pan drippings and used what was left in the foil. The liquid has a great flavor of beef and herbs! Then I cooked the ribs until tender, maybe another hour?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
darita
is One Chatty Farker

OK...so 275...any need to foil like pork ribs? Final meat temp like Brisket...start probing at about 195?

Old 07-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
LOVE the Sam's short ribs. I cook them like a combo between a brisket and ribs. Rub them like a brisket. I use olive oil and Oakridge Black Ops. You do not need to mess with the membrane. Just trim any hard fat.

Then I cook them at about 275 for 4-5 hours until they probe tender in all spots. Let them rest, wrapped in foil or butcher paper in a cooler for 30 min if you can let them.

Awesome!!

That looks insane!!! Geez I hope these ribs are as meaty as yours were! Can't wait!

Old 07-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

My method:

-Rub of your choice and on the pit at 250 until about 180 IT.
-Pull and pan with a shallow bath of beef broth, a few dashes of Worcestershire
sauce, and some pats of butter.
-Cover tightly and let it steam for about two hours or until probe tender.
-Separate the fat in the pan juice and drizzle over the ribs right before serving.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
kgrigio
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Piney View Post
My method:

-Rub of your choice and on the pit at 250 until about 180 IT.
-Pull and pan with a shallow bath of beef broth, a few dashes of Worcestershire
sauce, and some pats of butter.
-Cover tightly and let it steam for about two hours or until probe tender.
-Separate the fat in the pan juice and drizzle over the ribs right before serving.

This is how I do mine, except instead of beef broth I use root beer or dr pepper. I love me some beef short ribs.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #12
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for all your help. When I went to Sams, they had a huge pack of 2 racks of giant ribs for over $100! Waaaay over my budget. Ended up at SavMart where they had a pack of one of those huge racks, cut in 2, for way less than 1/2 Sams price.
Anyhow, got what I needed, so I just gotta figure out the cook temp, rub and foil or not. Should be interesting...