MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default Modify Hard Anodized Grill Grates?

So I picked up a set of Grill Grates which perfectly replace the direct heat cast iron side for my PG-500, but several folks have complained that these cause fires in the pellet firebox due to holding in so much additional heat and hampering air-flow in the grill.

It makes sense going from completely opened cast iron typical grates to these grates with holes in them here and there that air-flow might be dramatically changed.

So...

I am wondering for you metal experts out there what kind of grinding tip I should get for my Dremel to try and expand the holes to allow for much greater air-flow.

Here's a pic of the grates I have versus the ones that I am replacing. Look at the direct cooking side to see the separate CI grate.

Thanks!
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

a carbide burr would work fast. those can really cut through metal quickly.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
ubp_sanity
Knows what a fatty is.

Or just don't butt them tight up against each other. Not sure how many you got. If you got enough to completely cover the grill, just leave one of them out, that will definitely let air through. Leaving a gap should be better than opening up the holes.
ubp_sanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I would try other alternatives before cutting, but these might work better.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...lls-91616.html
Careful, you might wind up with some sharp edges that need to be rounded off.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
jmoney7269
Banned

all i can say is try it. i think the pellet fires you speak of are not from a restriction of airflow, but moreso a dirty direct flame area. the combustion fan is only 100 cfm and will surely pass all the air necessary through the web design of the grill grates for a complete burn. i have flame tamers sitting 2" over my firepot of my traeger and have never had any burnback issues. since that FEC is a Spit design rather than a full pellet tube, you should be ok. If anything happpens, which i suspect wont, your still gonna be ok under manufacture warranty enforced my the Magnuson-Moss warranty act of 1975.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote