blacken flat iron

tjv

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Had a hanckerin' for some beef so did a blackened flat iron in the large egg. Wife and daughter gave it two thumbs up. The last picture is my dinner after getting the wife and daughter off to some meeting. I'm just about ready to usher the cast iron grids to the closet and keep the skillets and griddles handy......T

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/acgpinc/blacken cooks/flatironandribeyes001.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/acgpinc/blacken cooks/flatiron3.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/acgpinc/blacken cooks/flatiron4.jpg

Man that looks might tasty!!!!!!!!!
What did you use to "blacken"?
Nice pron!

Nicely done, tjv.
Flat Iron takes that treatment well, does it not?

I can almost taste your dinner.

Dang boy, you done good!! I'm guessing a light seasoning and a hot azz iron skillet?? :biggrin:

Looks great, i just discovered the flat iron and looove it. Its all we eat at my house on steak nights.

What did you use to "blacken"?

just a rub with EVOO and a good dusting of kosher salt, fresh crack black pepper and garlic powder. Sometimes simple is best. T

I love Flat Iron, that looks really good Tom!

Gotta get me one of those Spiders!

just a rub with EVOO and a good dusting of kosher salt, fresh crack black pepper and garlic powder. Sometimes simple is best. T

I thought I was gonna read a post about a Cajun style blackened steak. Wasn't expecting to see so few seasonings added.

Back when I was working at a Cajun restaurant, we used paprika, onion powder, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, celery salt, chile powder, cumin, and sometimes even some gumbo file (not typical though).

Coat the steak in olive oil, rub down good with blackening powder, throw some oil in a smoking hot cast iron skillet (or flat grill) and sear the meat on both sides until desired doneness. It makes an awesome spicy piece of tender meat.

I have to say though, that the flat iron steak in your photos does look delicious--just not what I was expecting. I'm sure it was a fine meal though. When I grill steaks, that's about all I put on mine too--EVOO, fresh cracked pepper, pinch of kosher salt, and some garlic powder. Tasty stuff!

Looks great.

flatironandribeyes001.jpg

flatiron3.jpg

flatiron4.jpg

Temp on the egg is hard to say. Here is what generally happens:
1. get the egg up to 550-600 dome with good burn.
2. drop in pan, and dome temps drops to 300, pan absorbs all the energy.
3. let pan sit in egg to heat up, dome temp slowly climbs as pan heats.
4. usually when the egg dome temp gets back to about 375-400 degrees, time to put meat on as pan is good and hot.
5, sear or blacken, 45-90 sec. depending on cut and pan temp. The flat iron went long. I suggest trimming the fat from the sides of ribeyes.
6. last step is set a grid in the dome (atop the rig) and finish the meat to temp (doneness). By this time the dome (grid) temp is 400 or so, good temp to finish.

I use the guru to run the temps. Typically by the time I get to the finishing stage I can turn the guru off and let the retained heat finish the cook. I leave the griddle in place during the complete cook. I'll throw a small mesquite chunk on the pan for smoke, it almost always burns. After dinner I'll come back out, clean the pan, spray it with Pam, and return to egg to reseason.

I use my Spider piece to hold the pan two inches into the fire ring. The ID of the fire ring is 16 inches. A 14 inch size skillet or pan is a good size as it leaves 1 inch clearance between the pan and fire ring. You need to cut the handle off the pan to fit. I use 16 inch tongs to work in the egg and don't use gloves. The pan on this cook is the 14 inch bayou classic griddle with two tab handles cut off.

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/7414_cast_iron_griddle.htm

I akin this cooking method to a chef searing atop a gas cook top and finishing in an hot oven.

Here is what happens if you blacken ribeyes without trimming the fat off the sides, lots of smoke....

121_2119.jpg

Excuse the ignorance but is flat iron a cut of meat or just your technique of cooking it?

Excuse the ignorance but is flat iron a cut of meat or just your technique of cooking it?

A cut of beef. From the chuck. It is cut from the top blade muscle. If the muscle is cut cross-wise it is called top blade steak; if cut lenghtwise, it is called a flat iron steak. The whole muscle, parted out from a chuck, is called a flat iron roast, cause it is shaped somewhat like a old-fashioned flatiron.

I dont like blaken food but That sure look good. Give us some details like time and temp.

Back