• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Yoder/Rec Tec smoke output

lonerider

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I am still looking at Yoder and Rec Tec and unable to make a decision. I know which is better built and love the look of it on comp cart (Yoder) I know Rec Tec is built good enough and great warranty and customer service.

What I can not establish in my mind is whether or not YS640 puts out more smoke than the Rec Tec if say both running at 225 and using same pellets. I am thinking not, but dont really know. With both tricked out the way I want them the YS640 is $660 to $860 more dollars with the freight charges and whether or not I want stainless shelf's or the standard wire.

For me unless YS640 kicks out an appreciable amount more smoke I cant justify the price difference no matter how much I like the build and eye appeal of the Yoder because at the end of the day it is a tool and not a toy.

SO ...does Yoder kick Rec Tec's a$$ in this regard or no?
Because if the answer is no I will compromise and order the Rec Tec 700.

I am not sure the comparison point you should be looking at in your evaluation is whether or not the Yoder puts out more smoke than the Rec Tec. Not sure that's a valid point at all.
It seems much more important to know if the Yoder puts out the correct amount of smoke to help the meat you cook taste great. Does the Yoder put out clean, thin blue smoke on a consistent basis that helps chicken, fish, beef and pork taste great? That seems to me to be the measure on smoke to be looking at.

My answer is "YES". The Yoder is a consistent and perfectly blended for my pallete as far as smoke is concerned. I see the exact type of smoke that Aaron Franklin and other describe when they try to describe what smoke should look like.

I only have the Yoder in my backyard and don't have a RecTec. My son has a Traeger and I think my Yoder is more consistetn.

My final choices were also between RecTec and the Yoder so you are looking at the problem very similarly to the way I did. I'm pretty sure that the RecTec folks should be able to chime in and say the RecTec is also an excellent smoker. I believe them.

You aren't choosing between a good choice and a poor one. You've got two excellent choices in front of you. If you are having heartburn with the cost, then perhaps you should decide it on cost and be done. If that's just a single issue, then there's more to consider than cost and that helps to decide as well. I've never looked back at the cost once I cooked on it. Done deal. Great machine.

If you decide Yoder, make sure to get the two piece diffuser for sure and the stainless shelves if you've got a little extra scratch. Those shelves are wonderful and I use them all the time. The 2 piece diffuser makes cleaning and operating the Yoder a breeze. Either way you go, RecTec or Yoder, you can't go wrong. Two solid choices

Can’t answer your question but I’m wanting a YS640 with the comp cart baaaaad...

Good luck with your decision!

I don’t have any input on either of the listed grills, I do have the rectec WiFi controller in my pitboss copperhead 5. I, along with my family and friends, are very happy with the smoke output from it.

"More smoke", really what does that mean?

I can light a Kingsford fire in my WSM and stack green wood on top of it and choke out a small village with "smoke" if the goal is to produce as "much smoke" as I possibly can.

All of that said, my Rec Tec gives me plenty enough smoke flavor for my tastes in a pellet grill.

Rec Tec offers a fine product, as does Yoder and you won't go wrong with either of them.

I seriously doubt you'll find $660-$860.00 worth of taste difference in food cooked on either one of them, but then you just might.

But $660-$860.00 will buy a lot of prime brisket, pork butts and ribs.

Last edited:
If you buy the rec tec and still think about the yoder, then you made a mistaken buy what you want the first time and call it good. I highly doubt you could tell a difference in taste between the 2 of them....I personally can’t stand the rec tec horns or their videos, so no rec tec would ever be on my deck..but that’s me

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you buy the rec tec and still think about the yoder, then you made a mistaken buy what you want the first time and call it good. I highly doubt you could tell a difference in taste between the 2 of them....I personally can’t stand the rec tec horns or their videos, so no rec tec would ever be on my deck..but that’s me

Memphis Elite

This is the correct response. Get what you actually want. Nothing worse than smoker/grill regrets. Been there done that.

Memphis Elite

This is the correct response. Get what you actually want. Nothing worse than smoker/grill regrets. Been there done that.

I’ll third this recommendation! Either cooker, if taken care of, has the potential to last you many years. Besides smoke production, and something I do not see mentioned... will it be important that this new pellet cooker have the ability to grill and sear? I have seen a good number of guys say it’s not that important to them... some of those guys buying pellet grills that are strong in the “sear dept” anyways... only to later mention that they absolutely love having the ability to grill and sear on their poopers. I’d guess that probably 60% of my pellet cooker use is for high temp grilling. I absolutely love how it performs at the higher temps. Just something else to take into consideration :)

I personally seem to be in the minority, being that I am a rec tec owner... Disclaimer, I've never had a yoder or food from one.. .

That being said, I've had mine for two years and I've never had a single complaint. It does produce a decent smoke, different flavor than charcoal, but it's still fine. ..keep it moist and low and its great. .. I'd be surprised if many others beat it's temp control also, 5 degrees is about the biggest swing I'll see. . . Also I don't grill with mine so no input there. . the second rack would be nice though from the other manufactures, but I've never regretted my rec tec, it's solid.. .and if I needed a new pellet grill I would choose it again over the yoder, because of the cost vs benefits

Last edited:
"More smoke", really what does that mean?

I can light a Kingsford fire in my WSM and stack green wood on top of it and choke out a small village with "smoke" if the goal is to produce as "much smoke" as I possibly can.

Hello Slowmo,You know me as Doublebull from another site. "More smoke"? It seems that pellet smokers from many posts across several sites allude to the fact that pellet smokers by and large impart a weaker smoke profile than other platforms. Didn't say anything about wanting to fumigate the neighborhood for mosquito's. LOL

What I did ask was between the the two brands mentioned does one put out more (be that a little or a lot) smoke. One or two posters on various forums have said that Yoder is as close to a stick burner as a pellet smoker can be, one mentioning something about more airflow due the design of the firepot and such. That was only a couple though that said that. I have seen more that seem disappointed in what they perceive as a weak smoke profile with Yoder. I have never heard a Rec Tec owner boast that their unit among pellet smokers was "closest to a stick burner" but have seen that they are as likely as any to wish for more smoke profile.

I have no way to know other than ask because I know no one that has a pellet smoker, or any kind of outdoor cooking equipment other than the odd el cheapo gas grill or charcoal grill that they rarely use.

I am hoping that someone who is familiar with both units might know the answer.

If I could settle my mind as far as if the Yoder was superior or even slightly superior in regards to the question I have I would buy it. Cost be damned between these two. But if in fact they are neck and neck in this regard or the Rec Tec superior I am a Rec Tec man.

My suspicion is they are equal in this area but I have no way to know.

Can’t answer your question but I’m wanting a YS640 with the comp cart baaaaad...

Good luck with your decision!
Yep,not that appealing on the standard cart but on the comp cart (bright yellow for me)....a thing of beauty.

I’ll third this recommendation! Either cooker, if taken care of, has the potential to last you many years. Besides smoke production, and something I do not see mentioned... will it be important that this new pellet cooker have the ability to grill and sear? I have seen a good number of guys say it’s not that important to them... some of those guys buying pellet grills that are strong in the “sear dept” anyways... only to later mention that they absolutely love having the ability to grill and sear on their poopers. I’d guess that probably 60% of my pellet cooker use is for high temp grilling. I absolutely love how it performs at the higher temps. Just something else to take into consideration :)

My interest in the pellet cooker is solidly smoking. I do still like grilling on my Weber kettle, I don't mind playing with the fire in short spurts grilling and am more than happy with the results. I would not mind using a pellet cooker to grill in a pinch but don't see it replacing my current set up.

I personally seem to be in the minority, being that I am a rec tec owner... Disclaimer, I've never had a yoder or food from one.. .

That being said, I've had mine for two years and I've never had a single complaint. It does produce a decent smoke, different flavor than charcoal, but it's still fine. ..keep it moist and low and its great. .. I'd be surprised if many others beat it's temp control also, 5 degrees is about the biggest swing I'll see. . . Also I don't grill with mine so no input there. . the second rack would be nice though from the other manufactures, but I've never regretted my rec tec, it's solid.. .and if I needed a new pellet grill I would choose it again over the yoder, because of the cost vs benefits

I have read that many MAK owners swear by the smoke profile their units put out. I like the cooking capacity of the 3 star but the price is well above what I will part with.

Cost vs benefit, that is my struggle. The Yoder just "looks" like a smoker IMO. I know not to judge a book by its cover though. If price was the same I would buy the YS640. But it is not and for the difference I want it to out pace the RT700. Not sure it does though.....

That is what my better half and a couple of my friends have told me, as far as getting what you want. I am a somewhat frugal person and this will almost certainly be my last smoker and want to get it right.

If not for the convenience of pellet smokers ( that is main attraction for me) I would order a LSG insulated Mini cabinet and call it a day and know that my Q would meet my standards.

That is what my better half and a couple of my friends have told me, as far as getting what you want. I am a somewhat frugal person and this will almost certainly be my last smoker and want to get it right.

If not for the convenience of pellet smokers ( that is main attraction for me) I would order a LSG insulated Mini cabinet and call it a day and know that my Q would meet my standards.

You know, with a fan system, those insulated cabinets will run pretty close to a pellet smoker in terms of temp control and therefore convenience. I've been pretty vocal against pellet cookers in the past, and then I got myself a Rec-Tec BFG...outside of that particular cooker having issues (I sent it back, got a full refund), the "pellet life style" just wasn't for me. One thing of note is that pellets are actually quite expensive versus wood / charcoal.

Note : I run a BBQ food truck so I'm running my smoker 3-4 days a week. When I was running the BFG with pellets I was going through about 30-40 Lbs of pellets every cook. That's about $30 for each cook and in all honesty the smoke flavor was so light on the meat that it wasn't really noticeable...smoke rings were beautiful but no smoke smell when cooking and no smoke flavor when eating. I tried the "Xtreme Smoke" setting on the Rec-Tec and all it did was cycle the fan on and off to keep the temp at about 180° and in doing so my entire cooking chamber was covered in soot. Just using that Xtreme Smoke setting for an hour took me longer than that to wipe all that soot out of the cooking chamber. When I run my offset I'm spending about $3-5 a day on wood...compare that to $30 and it's kind of a huge expense.

I will also be honest : the "Rec-Tec Lifestyle" was an extremely cringey thing and it was really off-putting in terms of their brand. I know it's a silly thing to bring up but grown men singing "Doo doo doo" over and over is just odd. haha

Overall I think that if an insulated cabinet is really what you want, then maybe go with that. Most of those things will hold temp just fine on their own once dialed in, but if you put a fan system on you're going to get temperature control similar to a pellet cooker. This also allows you to cook with charcoal and wood, which is much cheaper than pellets.

Since I like to write a lot I'll put this here as well :

Rec-Tec : After about a month with my Rec Tec 2500 (BFG) I started having serious temperature control issues. The left side of the cooker was about 100° cooler than the right side...it was taking me over 24 hours at 250° to cook pork butts. Rec-Tec tried to fix it by sending me a new door as the one that came with the unit didn't fit properly : there was at least a 1" gap on the right side while the left side sat flush. So I put on the new door and now I had about a 1/8" gap all around, so that seemed better. Unfortunately after I put on the new door the cooker started behaving erratically...the bottom shelf was now about 100° OVER the set-temp, although the system was telling me it was perfect, ie set temp was 250° and the RTD probe was saying it was 250°. In reality that bottom shelf was cooking at roughly 375°. I spent a couple of weeks on the phone with Rec-Tec customer service trying to fix it, but no matter what we did it just kept on burning up the meat. When the cooking chamber was empty it ran just fine, but once I put in a cold piece of meat the system just couldn't seem to figure out how to function properly. I lost 10 racks of ribs one day...put them on for 4 hours at 250° and took a nap...came out to check on them and they were burnt to a crisp...I mean literally burned beyond recognition and stiff as a board. That was the final straw and Rec Tec was very good about taking the cooker back and giving me a full refund.

Yoder : I have no input on their pellet cookers, but I did (unfortunately) end up buying one of their small offset smokers; the Cheyenne. The cooker was built beautifully but it never functioned properly because of a drafting issue caused by their flawed design. I spent 2 years beating my head against the wall trying to figure it out, and then I found this forum and a thread on here about the Yoder Wichita which had the same issues as my Cheyenne. The only reason I bring this up is because of how Yoder handled the situation : they had a very poor reaction and chose to erase threads on their forum about it, and essentially tell the owners of their smokers that we were doing something wrong. They even went so far as to produce a video about "fire maintenance" where they said we needed to use kiln-dried wood, pre-heat that wood INSIDE the firebox, and it was pretty absurd and insulting. No other commercial offset smokers require that kind of silliness and Yoder spent years with their head in the sand telling us were just didn't know how to use a cooker. FINALLY, about 2 years ago, they altered their design to address the flow issue, and offered "fixes" for the smokers which were already out to customers...though we had to pay for shipping and then find a welder / fabricator to remove the old firebox door and put on the new one.
So I'd never recommend Yoder to anyone for anything just because of their poor customer service.

Just my 2 cents in this whole scenario.

Full disclosure: I'm an owner of a Rec-Tec Bull and I'm content with my purchase.

I doubt that the Rec-Tec or Yoder combusts pellets any different than the other to provide more smoke flavor. I would think the type of pellets would make a much bigger difference than the type of smoker.

If I had to choose (based solely on conjecture) which has more smoke flavor, I would choose the Rec-Tec. With the Yoder supposedly built like a tank, it is likely a more efficient cooker. With less pellets consumed, there is less smoke generated and pushed through the chamber to flavor your meat.

And as an aside, very little smoke flavor is generated in pellet cookers at higher temps. We make frozen pizzas in the RT in the summer and hardly notice a difference between it and the oven (provided your drip tray is clean). You'll be a LNS guy.

Full disclosure: I'm an owner of a Rec-Tec Bull and I'm content with my purchase.

I doubt that the Rec-Tec or Yoder combusts pellets any different than the other to provide more smoke flavor. I would think the type of pellets would make a much bigger difference than the type of smoker.

If I had to choose (based solely on conjecture) which has more smoke flavor, I would choose the Rec-Tec. With the Yoder supposedly built like a tank, it is likely a more efficient cooker. With less pellets consumed, there is less smoke generated and pushed through the chamber to flavor your meat.

And as an aside, very little smoke flavor is generated in pellet cookers at higher temps. We make frozen pizzas in the RT in the summer and hardly notice a difference between it and the oven (provided your drip tray is clean). You'll be a LNS guy.

After torturing myself over the two units:decision: I finally ordered a Rec Tec RT 700 on 8/19. Tired of looking and ready to get cooking.

It was HARD for me not to order the Yoder, but to do so because it appealed to me visually rather than because I thought it could outpace the Rec Tec as a smoker enough to justify the difference in coin....uhm...not so much.

After torturing myself over the two units:decision: I finally ordered a Rec Tec RT 700 on 8/19. Tired of looking and ready to get cooking.

It was HARD for me not to order the Yoder, but to do so because it appealed to me visually rather than because I thought it could outpace the Rec Tec as a smoker enough to justify the difference in coin....uhm...not so much.

Congrats and welcome to the WONDERFUL world of pellet cooking :)

Congrats on the Rec Tec. We are very satisfied with ours, and I think that you'll enjoy yours.

I am still looking at Yoder and Rec Tec and unable to make a decision. I know which is better built and love the look of it on comp cart (Yoder) I know Rec Tec is built good enough and great warranty and customer service.

What I can not establish in my mind is whether or not YS640 puts out more smoke than the Rec Tec if say both running at 225 and using same pellets. I am thinking not, but dont really know. With both tricked out the way I want them the YS640 is $660 to $860 more dollars with the freight charges and whether or not I want stainless shelf's or the standard wire.

For me unless YS640 kicks out an appreciable amount more smoke I cant justify the price difference no matter how much I like the build and eye appeal of the Yoder because at the end of the day it is a tool and not a toy.

SO ...does Yoder kick Rec Tec's a$$ in this regard or no?
Because if the answer is no I will compromise and order the Rec Tec 700.

I'm in Mansfield (south DFW area) and I have a YS640 with the grill grates, one piece diffuser, and cover I'll sell for $1000. I also have the new replacement ceramic igniter (just not installed yet). I bought it March or April last year. If you're interested I can send you some pictures.

I just got an LSG Large IVS and the Yoder is one cooker too many for my wife.

Back