MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy
Default Crab steak topping?

I've been asked to cook for my friend's birthday dinner tomorrow. I'll be doing a couple racks of ribs and some ribeyes. I want to take it up a notch and after seeing a recent recipe from Malcom Reed I am thinking of doing a crab topping for the steaks.

I was thinking of warming some butter, garlic, and onion in a pan and then dumping in a can of crab claw meat with a little lemon juice. Thinking I would let that warm the crab and then pour the mix over the steak. Sound like a good idea? Any pointers?
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do a search for "veal Oscar" or "steak Oscar", this combination is one of my favorites... and you can improvise to your hearts desire.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Do a search for "veal Oscar" or "steak Oscar", this combination is one of my favorites... and you can improvise to your hearts desire.
I had looked up the steak Oscar, but most of the recipes included a cream to make it more of a hollandaise or a bearnaise. I've never attempted any of those types of sauces and I didn't want to goof up my first try for my bud's birthday. Do you think the simpler version will work?

Old 08-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
thirdeye

Of course, your idea of warming some butter, garlic, and onion in a pan will work just fine. You are essentially making a "compound butter" and you can make this ahead of time and chill it. You can add other signature herbs and spices as well. Then when you cook the steak you can warm the crab in another skillet and add the compound butter. You can also add a dab ob the butter mix to the steak before topping it with the crab.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2019, 10:24 PM   #5
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Of course, your idea of warming some butter, garlic, and onion in a pan will work just fine. You are essentially making a "compound butter" and you can make this ahead of time and chill it. You can add other signature herbs and spices as well. Then when you cook the steak you can warm the crab in another skillet and add the compound butter. You can also add a dab ob the butter mix to the steak before topping it with the crab.
That's a good way to look at it. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #6
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
I had looked up the steak Oscar, but most of the recipes included a cream to make it more of a hollandaise or a bearnaise. I've never attempted any of those types of sauces and I didn't want to goof up my first try for my bud's birthday. Do you think the simpler version will work?
Yes. Go to the grocery store and buy a couple packets of Knorrs hollandaise or Bernaise sauce mixes. I like to buy the hollandaise and mix fresh tarragon to it. It is fool proof and tastes great.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
frankenfab
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
Yes. Go to the grocery store and buy a couple packets of Knorrs hollandaise or Bernaise sauce mixes. I like to buy the hollandaise and mix fresh tarragon to it. It is fool proof and tastes great.

I agree, have used and liked those.
frankenfab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Crab Imperial is another great recipe.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

Better ask before you apply...
You put crab, or any "fish" around meat for my wife and she'd likely brain you with a frying pan.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

I think I will give the Knorr Bearnaise packet a shot. Cook the steaks. Warm the crab in a butter, salt, pepper, lemon, parsley mix. Make the bearnaise per package instructions. Roast some asparagus on the grill. Then let everyone build their own plate so they can omit anything they don't want.

I also bookmarked a crab imperial recipe for future use. Thanks everyone.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #11
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Please get a better quality crab meat than claw meat. White lump crab for the win

Old 08-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #12
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
I think I will give the Knorr Bearnaise packet a shot. Cook the steaks. Warm the crab in a butter, salt, pepper, lemon, parsley mix. Make the bearnaise per package instructions. Roast some asparagus on the grill. Then let everyone build their own plate so they can omit anything they don't want.

I also bookmarked a crab imperial recipe for future use. Thanks everyone.
NOW,you have NAILED IT! Best idea possible.To each their own.Brilliant!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #13
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
NOW,you have NAILED IT! Best idea possible.To each their own.Brilliant!
It turned out great. Got non stop compliments and one even said that this was a "prison last meal situation". The compliments were so much that I started to think it was just being nice, but the empty plates at the end told me otherwise. I did go with lump over the claw meat too.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #14
thirdeye

Quote:
It turned out great. Got non stop compliments and one even said that this was a "prison last meal situation". The compliments were so much that I started to think it was just being nice, but the empty plates at the end told me otherwise. I did go with lump over the claw meat too.
Way to go! People are characteristically polite, it's in our nature to offer compliments. However, for an out-of-the-ordinary meal like you prepared, observing body language, and of course eyeing a bunch of empty plates speak for themselves and confirm you nailed it. Watch out for what's bound to come.... the subtle hints to cook this or that.