No overnight for this guy!

Papa Don

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I dig my overnights but want to try something different. I'm going to break down my walls tomorrow and cook with my firebox damper wide open. Hot and fast with no loss of sleep!!??
I've read where a few of you cook with the damper wide open with a "small fire". I've been cooking with 2 splits every 45min - 1 hour. The damper has been maybe 2-3 inches open at most. This gets me a 220-280 range on the second shelf and 210-230 on the bottom shelf. My therms are on the left by the turn at shelf level about 6" from the edge of the grate.
I'm planning on not letting it get below 275 to some high 300s??? with the damper wide open. I might have to add just one split instead of two. Also, being so hot will need add wood every 30mins instead. I'm cooking 3 - 8lb butts on the second shelf up until I wrap then I'll add my chicken legs.
I've cooked a bunch of chicken like this before in my SF but not Pork or Beef yet.

Yeah I say get some sleep and wake up and let er' rip!! 275-350 never hurt anything unless you didn't watch it. And I bet it tastes just as good when it is all said and done!

And good old Plainfield huh? Hop on over to Portillos please and send me and Italian combo or two! :-D I'm originally a Joliet guy.

Nah seriously, hope it goes well for you. Let us know!

keep us posted how it goes but I have been experimenting and instead of the low and slow cooking at 225 to 250 degrees I have been cooking a little hotter . I keep my firebox vent the same but adding two splits at a time and keeping a 250 to 300 degree range has cut my cook times down a lot .

I truly wish I had more time to mess around with this cooker. It's so sensitive with minor tweaks of the dampers. Just adjusting a small bit you can maintain a steady temp for a long time. It's just now nice enough to sit out here with it so I can play around with it. Everytime I cook on the smoker I feel like a kid!!

I think you'll be fine. If you have a good coal base, you can add a skinny split every 45 min or so? That's what I generally do. If it's windy and your draft is completely open, you may end up adding every 30 min. I run mine at 275-300 most of the time. With today's cooler temps, you should be in great shape!

On Edit - you posted just ahead of me. Cruising at 350! :thumb:

I just added 2 more sticks of cherry. That lasted 45 min since the last. There really is a big difference between the wood I have in the garage verses the wood left out in the eliments. The stuff in the garage is good starter wood for coal base or wood to restart but for general smoking the wood left outside is working awesome. Nice smoke, smell and taste.

2 hr gap

Well I layed down and fell asleep for 2 hrs, oops. The temp was 199 when I woke up, went down and added two small dry slips and 2 splits of cherry. The temp shot up to 380 then leved off to 350.

Last edited:
Back