MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: Do you like to use BBQ sauce containing liquid smoke?
No way, are you joking? 29 70.73%
Yes, I like to cover up the taste of my BBQ with it! 12 29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Thumbs down Commercial BBQ Sauce / Liquid Smoke

From reading many threads in the past, I know a lot of Brethren use commercial BBQ sauces.

IMO, why spend hours BBQing meats, infusing them with real wood smoke, only to pour a sauce containing liquid smoke on it? Also IMO, commercial BBQ sauces containing liquid smoke (almost all contain liquid smoke) are intended for the masses. The masses use gas grills without wood (for convenience) and commercial BBQ sauce (for convenience & wood smoke flavor). Please for the sake of the BBQ Gods... Make your own sauce without liquid smoke! There I said it!

Last edited by Bogus Chezz Hawg; 01-02-2010 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: correction
Bogus Chezz Hawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
stiffy
Full Fledged Farker

What examples of commercial sauces have liquid smoke in them already? Masterpiece?
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use Sweet Baby Ray , In my opinion it beats most of the homemade sauces. But of course I'm a stick burner don't use those little charcoal horse turds i know what real smoke is.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffy View Post
What examples of commercial sauces have liquid smoke in them already? Masterpiece?
Any mass produced commercial sauce you can think of! Next time you go to the store read the ingredients on the labels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
I use Sweet Baby Ray , In my opinion it beats most of the homemade sauces. But of course I'm a stick burner don't use those little charcoal horse turds i know what real smoke is.
Sweet Baby Ray's... I was born & raised in Chicago. I used that years ago before it was marketed nationally & before I knew any better, IMO. Read the label... The main ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. Some "experts" believe high fructose corn syrup has health risks. Google it and make your own decision. I still consume products that contain it, however.

Last edited by Bogus Chezz Hawg; 01-02-2010 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 01-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
BBQ Grail

As soon as you sell something you make it commercial. I think you are referring to the mass produced sauces. I have lots and lots of sauces that I purchased that are awesome and do not contain liquid smoke.

As for your eperts and high fructose corn syrup... bite me. There are experts that will tell you that everything we do is bad for us. There are experts that will tell you the char on your steak will give you cancer.

First liquid smoke now high fructose corn syrup...

You shouldn't start tossing things out there without better defining them. There are several members of this forum who make some fantastic sauces and because they sell them to us they would be classified as commercial.

You want to make your own sauce go right a head and make your own sauce. I tried and can't come up with a sauce I like as much as some of those I buy from my fellow brethren.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

How about some more choices.

Suggestions:
I occasionally use it at someone elses Gas cooked food.
Make my own and use liquid smoke.
Make my own no liquid smoke.
Since I boil my meat it really add a lot of flavor.
etc...

I use it now and then.

How do you get Smoke flavor in Sauce if you don't use it?

High Fructose Corn Syrup bad for you. Next your gonna suggest we shouldn't eat Bacon or cheese where does it end????

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
dodgeramsst2003
Full Fledged Farker

Bogus,

I have only one real problem with the statement you made. When I'm at home sure some of the time I make my own, but try doing it when cooking for a couple hundred people while taking care of and watching everything else. You can't make it ahead of time as if you have an "on-site" license everything has to be prepped and cooked there. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

I like my home made sauces, but I enjoy a lot of commercial sauces as well. Heck if I'm in a hurry, one of my favorites is sweet baby rays. I also like cattlemans doctored up to my tastes. It's all about different tastes on different days. Sometimes I like a sweet sauce, sometimes a tangy one, other days it's a hot one. I can't even taste the liquid smoke in the commercial ones, so why worry about it.
- Homebuilt cold smoker, Cookshack SM008.
- 250 gal oil drum cut and waiting for me to build it
- (3) more 250 gal oil drums waiting for me to go get them.
- Custom offset in progress.
Link To The Build: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=71893
dodgeramsst2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
bigmo
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeramsst2003 View Post

I like my home made sauces, but I enjoy a lot of commercial sauces as well. Heck if I'm in a hurry, one of my favorites is sweet baby rays. I also like cattlemans doctored up to my tastes. It's all about different tastes on different days. Sometimes I like a sweet sauce, sometimes a tangy one, other days it's a hot one. I can't even taste the liquid smoke in the commercial ones, so why worry about it.
Could not have said it better.

a plain old kettle

bigmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Porchpup
Full Fledged Farker

If it's not good for me, there's no way I'm putting it in my body.
I almost dropped my cigarette when I heard fructose corn syrup was bad for me.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Can I piggyback on this question because I have been wondering lately what you all think about using commercial sauces and rubs at comps, it kinda seems like you are winning with somebody else's product. And to answer the question at hand, when I start making a sauce I like better than sbr I will continue to make it but I'm a big fan of it.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
As soon as you sell something you make it commercial. I think you are referring to the mass produced sauces. I have lots and lots of sauces that I purchased that are awesome and do not contain liquid smoke.

As for your eperts and high fructose corn syrup... bite me. There are experts that will tell you that everything we do is bad for us. There are experts that will tell you the char on your steak will give you cancer.

First liquid smoke now high fructose corn syrup...

You shouldn't start tossing things out there without better defining them. There are several members of this forum who make some fantastic sauces and because they sell them to us they would be classified as commercial.

You want to make your own sauce go right a head and make your own sauce. I tried and can't come up with a sauce I like as much as some of those I buy from my fellow brethren.
Larry,

I am referring to the mass produced sauces.
I stated "almost all (commercial sauces) contain liquid smoke". I never said they all do.
What part of almost needs defining?

Bite me? that's a little harsh. Did you notice I put quotation marks surrounding the word experts? To me, that means the same as so-called experts!
I stated to "Google it and make your own decision". I still eat products that contain it. I apologize and I should have noted that.

The purpose of this thread is to point out my opinion of the use of liquid smoke in sauces that will be used on real wood smoked BBQ. Also I thought this might encourage others that have never tried to make their own BBQ sauce, to make it. Nothing more, nothing less! Whew!

Last edited by Bogus Chezz Hawg; 01-02-2010 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 01-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeramsst2003 View Post
Bogus,

I have only one real problem with the statement you made. When I'm at home sure some of the time I make my own, but try doing it when cooking for a couple hundred people while taking care of and watching everything else. You can't make it ahead of time as if you have an "on-site" license everything has to be prepped and cooked there. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

Chris,

Since I only BBQ in the backyard for maybe 12 at the most, I can see your point. If I were feeding 200+ (or 50), I'm sure I would be buying jugs of commercial sauces.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchpup View Post
If it's not good for me, there's no way I'm putting it in my body.
I almost dropped my cigarette when I heard fructose corn syrup was bad for me.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

ADMIN NOTE: Im not quite sure whats going on, but this was a legitimate question asked in a civil manner. The not so civil responses end here. Talk about it, agree, disagree, or agree to disagree. If you cant do that, bail out of the thread.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #15
jestridge

Just because a sauce is homemade doesn't mean it's good. Sometime I buy a discount sauce from Save_A-Lot store it a very good sauce. What one person think a good bbq is doesn't mean that the only way to do it.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote