MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Default Mini WSM oven finished Brisket Was a Touch of Dry

Well I smoked a brisket uncovered at 225 on the Mini WSM last night and it's my first cook on anything charcoal or Weber in over a month. I pulled it off after it hit 170 internal and then wrapped it in foil and finished it in a 225 degree oven that way I wouldn't have to fool with adjusting the mini WSM at all and be able to get some stuff done upstairs for school.

Anyone feel like using the oven to cook a piece of meat to tenderness is cheating? I know that my dad ALWAYS takes his Boston butts off about three hours before they are done and finishes them in the crockpot of all places, but they always tend to turn out great and they have a little bit of au jus in the bottom. THe only downside I can see is that he loses a good bit of the bark, but maybe he could fix that by throwing it under a broiler or on the grill for a few minutes after he takes it out.

I tried using the broiler on this brisket after it has hit 205 internal and probed fairly tender and it did an okay job at firming up the bark that the tinfoil had softened. I think I should have spritzed it with apple cider and a bit of cooking spray though so that the heat transfer would have been even and had some moisture and oil for color.

I will say that this is my first brisket that has ever probed to tenderness but it was a bit on the dry side. It sliced pretty tough when it had cool, but when reheated for a sec in the microwave the 1/4" slices were pretty tender and had just a touch of chew which I guess is what you want. I don't imagine you'd want it to fall apart into pieces on a sandwich or when slicing in the first place. Much better than my last one that crumbled to pieces, although that one was made edible by mixing the pieces with sauce for sandwiches and the rest for stir-fried lo mein noodles.

Think the touch of dryness dryness was from the thickness of the brisket though? Forgot to mention that it was about 3/4" thick at one end and had pretty much 80% of the fat removed from it. It was a choice cut brisket BTW. Thanks guys, maybe I can figure out how to get my next one probe tender and melt in your mouth juicy.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Flats are hard to cook the lack of a fat cap dew to a heavy handed meat cutter is the biggest problem.When I was just a wee lad my Ma told me 'Son don't ever let another man mess with your meat!" Buy a Packer and cut it your self.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
mbshop
Babbling Farker

taking it to that temp and then using the broiler was probably just to much for it.
one never gets it perfect the first time or more tries. just try again till you find the
proper setup. for the oven i would crank it up to at least 275.