MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Default Chris Hart has Ballz!

The ballz meaning his cookbook.... Okay dont click out PLEASE just read. I use his cookbook all the time but not so much for comp bbq stuff just the cooks always turns out perfect down to the s'mores cake, as I do with Myrons cookbook as well for stuff like his slaw. I just wanted to ask why dont more teams that kick butt all the time do like myron and chris did and do a cookbook?

All these big name teams names like 3 Ezy, Diva Q, Pellet Envy, Swamp Boys, Johnny Trigg, Tuffy, Munchin Hoggs, Big Moe, Big Poppa, Plowboys, Dizzy Pig, Parrothead Smokers, Lotta Bull BBQ, Butcher BBQ, 4:20 Q, BIG T'Z Q CRU, SmokyOkie, Fatback Joe, Cosmos BBQ, Oak Ridge BBQ And my home town boyzzz the Warren Co. Pork Choppers as well as the Tarheel Smokers, QUAU and please dont be madd if your name is not listed cause there is several teams that can kick the aboves butt on any givin weekend.

Just wondering cause I respect Chris and Myron for doing so...

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's

Last edited by Shiz-Nit; 12-07-2012 at 09:35 PM..
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Speaking for myself here... Chris has mad skills as an acomplished chef and has way more to offer than I do recipe-wise. Myron has got the tv notoriety plus MIM World Championships to his credit. I sure appreciate being mentioned in that group though. Maybe some day, it would be fun. :)

Sent from deep in the swamp from my htc using tapatalk.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Cookbooks, and publishing in general is A LOT of work, and
thus a serious commitment. I've been doing some research
into the possibility of writing an e-cookbook, and it's pretty
daunting. Also, the royalties for traditional publishing are
slim.

Adam Corolla breaks it down.

Just my $0.02,
John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz-Nit View Post
The ballz meaning his cookbook.... Okay dont click out PLEASE just read. I use his cookbook all the time but not so much for comp bbq stuff just the cooks always turns out perfect down to the s'mores cake, as I do with Myrons cookbook as well for stuff like his slaw. I just wanted to ask why dont more teams that kick butt all the time do like myron and chris did and do a cookbook?

All these big name teams names like 3 Ezy, Diva Q, Pellet Envy, Swamp Boys, Johnny Trigg, Tuffy, Munchin Hoggs, Big Moe, Big Poppa, Plowboys, Dizzy Pig, Parrothead Smokers, Lotta Bull BBQ, Butcher BBQ, 4:20 Q, BIG T'Z Q CRU, SmokyOkie, Fatback Joe, Cosmos BBQ, Oak Ridge BBQ And my home town boyzzz the Warren Co. Pork Choppers as well as the Tarheel Smokers, QUAU and please dont be madd if your name is not listed cause there is several teams that can kick the aboves butt on any givin weekend.

Just wondering cause I respect Chris and Myron for doing so...
I thought I heard an interview where Chris is coming out with another one. I might have it mixed up, maybe he can post and tell us.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Shiz. I'm sure everyone has different reasons for not going down the road of publishing a book. Personally, running a business can be totally overwhelming at times, and writing a book takes time. A really good book like Chris Harts took a ton of effort, and it sure paid off in the final product. I think that for most of the folks on your list, it is probably a dream to write a book. For me, it is a dream to have the time to write a book!!

For now, we'll try and share our knowledge, experiences, and recipes through our website and in other ways. It sure is a joy for me to share what I have learned with others that want to be better cooks. That's enough for me right now. Wish I had more time to hang out here and post!

Cheers man
Chris

Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I thought I heard an interview where Chris is coming out with another one. I might have it mixed up, maybe he can post and tell us.
I remember hearing the same thing somewhere. If I remember correctly, it's all hamburgers this time.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Even a simple cookbook can run into serious time and money, just the process of developing, codifying and testing recipes can be very expensive. Most publishers, from the authors I have spoken with, do not offer huge advances to un-proven authors. Thus, the cost of having a recipe calculated, tested and then blind tested is footed by the authors themselves. Someone like Myron Mixon has the name, others may just have enough contacts to get around the other costs. I actually don't think it is about being secretive.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

We talked to Big Moe Cason this summer and he is getting a cookbook together, should be out soon. Also he has a BBQ sauce coming out soon. I don't think too many competition guys want to give out their secrets. Plus, I think it takes a lot of work and talent to make a really good cookbook.

Eggspert BBQ
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

In recent years, self publishing has become much easier.

Ebooks have become much more popular whether they are in simple pdf format or made for the kindle, nook, etc. Also Amazon has made it very easy for individuals to publish hard copy books without needing to have inventory. The key is being able to market the book.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Thus, the cost of having a recipe calculated, tested and then blind tested is footed by the authors themselves.
True. Chris and Andy had to come up with the recipes, write the book, and do all the photography. Don't forget his co-author is a professional chef, which I am sure doesn't hurt. Chris has the BBQ chops, but when you see iQue/Wicked Good BBQ/Hart Attack winning a grilling contest, you know Andy is cooking with them.

Chris has said they are working on another book. I know I would buy it. There are a lot of BBQ books out there, but they did a really good job with the first one.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I would include Dr. BBQ in the list of accomplished competitive BBQ cookbook authers. Lots of good reasons here. Another to consider is the shear magnitude of original recipes you need to publish a book. Go back through Chris' book and count the recipes there. I did the other day and was surprised. How many people do you think can come up with that many original recipes? Kudos to them all!

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
chickenchoker
Full Fledged Farker

I believe the book coming out is wicked good weenies..... or at least thats what they were saying when he manned the hot dog grill in Hoboken for OBR

Custom Humphreys Comp Cart,Backwoods Party,18.5 WSM with Pro Q stacker, "skeeter" reverse flow offset

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK [URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-Chokers-Bar-B-Que-team/149911985044419[/URL]

2016 Sponsors- Butcher BBQ,Stubbs,Shelter Logic, A Fine Swine, Mojobricks
chickenchoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
E Mellow
On the road to being a farker

Food for thought...

There is a difference between cooking 4 meets (that to most of the mentioned teams cook on auto pilot) and writing 100+ unique recipes.
E Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Mellow View Post
Food for thought...

There is a difference between cooking 4 meets (that to most of the mentioned teams cook on auto pilot) and writing 100+ unique recipes.
Roger that! I've been blogging for just under four years and I only have 159 recipes.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz-Nit View Post
I just wanted to ask why dont more teams that kick butt all the time do like myron and chris did and do a cookbook?
Because they are smarter than us? If I had known what I was getting into I may have reconsidered. Its a chit-ton of work and I wanted to take a long vacation from my co-authors by the time the book was in the bag

Ultimately though it was a great experience and I'm pretty stoked at all the great feedback the book has received from the bbq community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
Chris has the BBQ chops, but when you see iQue/Wicked Good BBQ/Hart Attack winning a grilling contest, you know Andy is cooking with them.
Oh really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
I remember hearing the same thing somewhere. If I remember correctly, it's all hamburgers this time.
Wicked Good Burgers. Will be released Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenchoker View Post
I believe the book coming out is wicked good weenies..... or at least thats what they were saying when he manned the hot dog grill in Hoboken for OBR

That will be book #3 ;)
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->