MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #16
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus_bro View Post
I know iv read a similar thread to this in the past and go the same thoughts...Not planning on starting any real catering, just thinking of a few extra cooks for a little cash.

All very very good points made and im going to have to do some more deeeeep thinking.. :)

checking out the local bbq joints for full meat prices and its interesting.

rb
For a real straight pricing answer (involving no comments about the legality of this) just look up pricing at your local restaurants if you are thinking about doing this on the side for Non-family/friends. It's just that easy.

But of course if you are thinking of "on the side" think of the "potential legal consequences" if you make someone sick to potentially make a few extra hundred bucks every so often .

I've turned down every wedding/birthday/funeral/graduation/retirement etc catering gig people have asked me to do if they are not immediate family/friends. People know I worked at a bbq restaurant so I get it a lot.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #17
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap0510 View Post
It has been my experience when I attempted to sell my leftover competition practice meats to my friends/co-works that they expected to pay less than cost. They kept on stating that they could go to the local BBQ restaurant and get it cheaper. The argument that the restaurant's quality is garage compared to what I made did not seem to work.

After attempting to sell my practice runs but no one wanting to pay what it was worth I decided to just eat it myself.
You need better friends :)
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #18
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Since I'm cooking almost everyday already, my friends only pay the raw meat price plus $10-15 to cover rub and injection. Everybody else pays 3x raw meat prices if they just want a whole brisket and that seems to work out pretty well.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #19
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus_bro View Post
I know iv read a similar thread to this in the past and go the same thoughts...Not planning on starting any real catering, just thinking of a few extra cooks for a little cash.

All very very good points made and im going to have to do some more deeeeep thinking.. :)

checking out the local bbq joints for full meat prices and its interesting.

rb

Reveille is charging $100 for a cooked 5-8 pound brisket.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #20
ColoradoSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Economy of Scale...

I know of a guy that has a pretty large offset (250 gal). He smokes a lot of meat at once and then vacuum seals the entire piece of meet and freezes them. He then sells them to people with the instructions on how to thaw and re-heat. Not what I would want but someone must be buying them as he cooks several times a month.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #21
morgan-que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Captain Morgan

$2 per pound on chicken $4 per pound on ribs and $6 per pound on butts and brisket.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #22
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

When I sell a la carte, it is $25/rack of ribs, and $25/lb of brisket. Pulled pork is $18/lb, and chicken is $12.50/lb. I don’t do it often and only when I have a minimum $1,000 order. Otherwise it just isn’t worth the time.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #23
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan-que View Post
$2 per pound on chicken $4 per pound on ribs and $6 per pound on butts and brisket.
That’s seriously what you’re charging?

Old 11-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #24
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
When I sell a la carte, it is $25/rack of ribs, and $25/lb of brisket. Pulled pork is $18/lb, and chicken is $12.50/lb. I don’t do it often and only when I have a minimum $1,000 order. Otherwise it just isn’t worth the time.
I dont see how you can charge so much for cooking in the backyard on your own time schedule. those prices are higher than a proper bbq restaurant that I can go to whenever I feel like

Old 11-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #25
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I dont see how you can charge so much for cooking in the backyard on your own time schedule. those prices are higher than a proper bbq restaurant that I can go to whenever I feel like
I’m not doing it in “my backyard” so to speak. I own a BBQ catering business, licensed by the Health Dept, liability insurance, commissary, etc. All those costs add up and factor in to what I charge.

People have never complained about my prices.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #26
rus_bro
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan-que View Post
I just want to be sure im on the same page... We are talking COOKED WEIGHT, not raw meat weight?

Also is that per pound charge + the meat?

rb

Old 11-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #27
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
I’m not doing it in “my backyard” so to speak. I own a BBQ catering business, licensed by the Health Dept, liability insurance, commissary, etc. All those costs add up and factor in to what I charge.

Restaurants also have to pay for the actual brick and mortar (rent, upkeep, staff/payroll, etc.), insurance, and Health Department regulations.

People won't complain about prices if they aren't using you. But if you're busy, who am I to say you're charging too much...

Old 11-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #28
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:

I would imagine it's also not like Texas where you are, where you can't spit without hitting a barbecue place. I'm also willing to bet your costs for supplies are a little higher too. I know brisket is more expensive here in Illinois than it is in Texas.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #29
villageofthewolf
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Lobo

It would probably be more cost efficient in selling bbq plates since sides and a slice of white bread cost almost nothing but your time. Cook a 15# brisket sell 10-8$ plates sounds like a plan to me.
villageofthewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #30
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageofthewolf View Post
It would probably be more cost efficient in selling bbq plates since sides and a slice of white bread cost almost nothing but your time. Cook a 15# brisket sell 10-8$ plates sounds like a plan to me.
A 15 lb brisket around me goes for $50+, so $80 is not near enough.