Green Ham

lazyjacres

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Any suggestions on smoking a green ham?
I have a frozen ham from a pig I had butchered, and if I remember correctly, the last one I didn't wasn't the best.

eXcDbSX.jpg

I started using a new technique that I call a daveomak ham after the man that developed it in the summer of 2020 and I have used it on shoulder picnics, shoulder butts, and pork loins. I have not used it on a rear leg ham, only because I have not found one yet. A buddy has done two rear leg hams, I just don't have any photos.

This recipe/technique is one of the few curing recipes that I have not tweaked, other than some cold smoking times. At Dave's suggestion I tried it as written and we love the end result. It is designed with food safety in mind with respect to the phosphate and Cure #1. The method is solid and makes some of the best ham I have ever cured. The chart puts the salt percentage around 2% (that could be adjusted) and the Cure #1 at 156 ppm.

crrIdTE.jpg

It does require the use of Cure #1, AmesPhos, canning salt, sugar, and Kitchen Basics vegetable stock. You will need an injector with a long needle as rear hams need shooting all around the bone to prevent bone sour, and then on a 1" grid to cure the meat. Here is a thread from last year with a ton of photos. If you decide to do this I will certainly walk you through the process. You could always buy a pork loin or a pork butt and test it out using that first.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284106&highlight=ham

Where can I get the AmesPhos?

The late Joe Ames is the guy behind the development of the FAB competition injections.... Fab-B, Fab-C and Fab-P which have phosphates. AmesPhos is touted as a very high quality form of STTP, and since so little is needed in most applications, I trust it.

http://store.theingredientstore.com/amesphos.aspx

I know.... it's a chemical. But so is sodium nitrite. Read the label on certain store bought hams, they have phosphates. When you make your own, YOU are in control.

Thanks.
I have no problem with phosphates when used properly.

I use a phosphate brine alot. Some folks cringe at the thought. It works.

Thanks.
I have no problem with phosphates when used properly.

I use a phosphate brine alot. Some folks cringe at the thought. It works.

Science is a good thing. Like the year I decided to move away from that pesky charcoal in my BGE.... no issues..... other than that 3rd eye.

6rp1Ijp.jpg

Back in the earlier days of competition BBQ, FAB was the hot commodity. I'm very familiar with it.
I'll look into this brine, sounds interesting.

Thanks

Back in the earlier days of competition BBQ, FAB was the hot commodity. I'm very familiar with it.
I'll look into this brine, sounds interesting.

Thanks

I don't know why I haven't gotten around to doing a full write-up on this method, it's very easy. I cure my roasts in the 2.5 gallon bags. A 5 gallon bucket brine bag would likely work for a rear leg hem. I'm sending some info via PM.

Back