MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #1
Jlems
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Justin
Default Water pan required on larger cooks??

I have a wedding reception coming up and I’ll be putting 6-8 pork shoulders on an offset patio-size cooker. This is the largest amount of food I’ve done, and space is at a premium. With all this meat, is a water pan necessary? I’m thinking there will be enough moisture....?
Jlems is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
BBQscott
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

I don't think a water pan is necessary at all. Pork shoulders have so much fat tissue in them they will keep themselves nice a moist! If you're really worried you could spray them down periodically but you'll make your cook take longer doing that.

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
Jlems
Full Fledged Farker

Perfect! Makes sense to me, exactly what I was thinking.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

I wouldn't use a water pan, but i would suggest wrapping them in foil once they develop a nice bark. It will speed up the cooking process, and help keep them moist at the same time. With all those butts, its a good safety net. Its called a texas crutch for a reason.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Plus it'll delay your cook using water
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

.....and it will not set the bark very good!
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

I always use a water pan, moisture helps smoke stick to the meat.

But hey, I do what I do, find out what works for you and then do what you do.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-10-2020, 12:28 AM   #8
blackdogbbq21
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Paul

I always cook with a water pan in the smoker. I believe it helps and it definitely doesn’t hurt my bark.
However if the meat won’t all fit with a pan in the smoker then no choice but to not use one.
blackdogbbq21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2020, 07:29 AM   #9
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

I can’t say either way. But do you really want to try a new cooking method the first time when doing a wedding reception? Weddings and graduations are the cooks that a lot of people around here seem to loose sleep over.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #10
Jlems
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
I can’t say either way. But do you really want to try a new cooking method the first time when doing a wedding reception? Weddings and graduations are the cooks that a lot of people around here seem to loose sleep over.
This is certainly the biggest consideration right here. I’ll just try to make everything fit and if not, I’ll figure it out on the fly. I’m fairly confident most people wouldn’t notice small differences in the cook outcome that we all would. I’d be interested to see if there is any actual data out there where someone has tracked different humidities AND temps and charted the results.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #11
Jlems
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
This is certainly the biggest consideration right here. I’ll just try to make everything fit and if not, I’ll figure it out on the fly. I’m fairly confident most people wouldn’t notice small differences in the cook outcome that we all would. I’d be interested to see if there is any actual data out there where someone has tracked different humidities AND temps and charted the results.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #12
BBQscott
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Justin, just make sure you are not cramming your pork shoulders in to make the water pan fit. If the meat is to close together they wont cook evenly and you’ll get spots on the sides that never see the heat. Trust me Ive done it to myself trying to cram in spare ribs for a big party.... boy that was a disaster lol. If you cant fit the water pan, just make sure you use the crutch method. Sure the bark wont be as good, but honestly you will be shredding it up and pouring BBQ sauce all over anyway for all those people. Most people want their BBQ all sauced up anyway, at least that’s how the people around me are.

*EDIT*
Also, when is the wedding? Do you have time to practice with one pork shoulder doing it without a water pan to see the results you’ll get?