MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
Smoke Dad
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Smoke or grill ribs

Seems like most folks like to slow smoke ribs. Some like to wrap in foil and some don’t. Some pull the membrane. But what about grilling them direct over the fire. Not saying it has to be hot and fast, just grilled over the fire instead of smoked indirectly. I had some ribs once that had a crispy texture on the surface like bacon. They were awesome! Not sure if he grilled them but it kinda seemed that way. Anyone cook their ribs like that. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Guessing they might have been finished on the grill to get that texture.

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #3
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Back before I smoked meat I grilled them on the propane grill every blue moon. I would try to wrap them some. My FIL still cooks them directly on his charcoal cooker. They are good, but you can tell it doesn't give as long for them to tender up.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Grilled ribs are great but your at the mercy of the meat gods, sometimes they can be very tuff, but most of the time they are fine imo , 1-1.5 hours over the charcoal with some hickory thrown on the coals are great

Old 07-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Have a friend that grills up great ribs on his Weber. He's tried smoking them a number of times and for some reason, always fails terribly. Me on the other hand, I fail terribly trying to grill them.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #6
wazzou
Got Wood.

I'll often finish mine on the gasser.
All good, just don't boil them.
wazzou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #7
CrabbyAppleton
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't make many recipes from Steve Raichlen, but this was darn good IMHO.

When I saw the show decades ago, I think he called them European style ribs.

Anyway, they were cooked in about 75 to 90 minutes using a rotisserie on a gas grill. Have a nice crispy outside, moist inside.

That to me was the key, using the spit method. Yes, it is a hot grill, but you are up a bit from flames and they are rolling all the time.

You kind of thread on 2 racks weaving in and out about every third bone. Also, it was very easy and they also look great when done, which to me was simple to "eyeball" and very forgiving. It was a nice spice mix and flavor too.

Probably a guy could make ribs like this using a rub without sugar, some spray oil or mop.

I think this is a good fast method!

https://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/bo...MAY/19049.html.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #8
tom b

I will sometimes grill loin backs on the santa maria

Old 07-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
Smoke Dad
Knows what a fatty is.

I think I’m gonna do some experimentin over the next few weeks...try a hybrid method of grilling them over coals but at a medium to low temp once the coals have cooked down a lot. And then try a hot and fast method. I love smoked and wrapped ribs but Sometimes I hate the idea of taking 6 hrs to cook em.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #10
smokymtnjonny
On the road to being a farker

That’s how Dreamland cooks em.
smokymtnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #11
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Google Argentinian Ribs, slightly chewy but pure beef flavour.
Grilled

Old 07-12-2020, 09:50 PM   #12
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The Rendevous in Memphis,TN is regarded as one of the Premier rib joints in the Country.TOURIST TRAP.They grill theirs.Yes,I have eaten there,not impressed AT ALL.Their sausage and cheese plate and Red Beans and Rice are delishious.Ribs,NAH.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-13-2020, 07:59 AM   #13
Smoke Dad
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah as Serious bbq cooks we have a much higher standard for what’s good and what’s not. There are lots of places that supposedly have good bbq.. but they really have a good bbq business. That’s a skill in its own right. But real good bbq.. another skill entirely.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #14
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Never grilled a rack of ribs, but Harry Soo has a cool vid with him grilling rib tips. Puts them on his flipped GrillGrates to make the griddle; simple seasoning; pretty quick cook. He says that’s what he likes to eat when he’s not comp cooking/practicing. I’m gonna try that

Old 07-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #15
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

More than once I've wrapped ribs in foil with a little liquid and seasoning- and braised them in the oven at 350 on or on the Santa Maria until the bones pulled back a bit (hour, hour 10 min). Then finished on the grate of the SM or the gasser. Bit more seasoning on the meat side down- quick thin sauce on the bone side. Flip and repeat-a couple of times. They don't have the smoke- but you do get a nice grilled taste and a bit of char on the sauce (don't go for "burned" tho). Start to end- not quite 2 hours. Pretty good.