MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:50 PM   #16
Skidkid
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : John

The piece on front is to hold my thermometer. I will punch a couple more holes just below to put the temp probes through. I have a Thermoworks Smoke that I have had for years and it works great (2 channel). I am thinking about a Fireboard, a little geeky but tracking performance is interesting.

I ordered a bunch of stainless pan head screws and will use those to mount everything. They look great and it will be consistent across the whole thing.

I have the Hunsanker 5 level grate system (standard grates) that I will weld into the drum next. After that, I can paint the drum.

AND here is a butt I did yesterday to make pulled pork. 10 hours on my 22" Weber Kettle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5213.jpg (96.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5214.jpg (112.6 KB, 78 views)
Skidkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #17
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Looks good, I love the intake.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #18
Skidkid
Knows what a fatty is.

And I have a fire basket and heat diffuser ready to go. Along with two brand new stainless grates. It is FINALLY starting to take shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5218.jpg (101.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5219.jpg (104.8 KB, 75 views)

Old 07-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #19
Skidkid
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingerhook View Post
Looks good, I love the intake.
Thanks. I have seen the round but I really liked the square. This is pretty fun for a first build. Maybe I should have gone stainless barrel but for now, this will work well. I live in a pretty mild climate anyway.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #20
Skidkid
Knows what a fatty is.

So, I got delayed for a while. Kind of surprising that the wife didn't kill me since the drum has been in the dining room for a month. I got a welder and welded in the adjustable grill supports and some 3/4" square stock to set a heat diffuser on. The inside has oil on it now and ready to cure once I get it fired up. The blue marks are tape while I paint, don't really want paint inside the drum.

I got the primer on and the parts are all primed, painted, and heat cured. Only have a pic of them in primer for now. You will have to wait to see the paint.

I welded a 1/4 square tube across the bottom of the lid to pull it flat. That worked out pretty well.

Welds aren't pretty but I am getting better at it. The definitely won't fail so they do their job.

Meanwhile, I cooked up some babyback ribs today. They should be done in another hour or so. Pics on that later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5253.jpg (94.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5254.jpg (61.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5226.jpg (73.6 KB, 45 views)

Old 08-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #21
onemanlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Taylor

Looking good. Appreciate the updates. I hope to take the UDS pathway some day. I miss my OK Joe bronco and it was only a decent version of a UDS.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #22
Skidkid
Knows what a fatty is.

So here are the ribs I did while I worked on the UDS, and dinner after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5256.jpg (95.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5257.jpg (81.0 KB, 38 views)