Jealous Devil charcoal review

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I stopped by Ace Hardware the other day to pick up some B&B lump charcoal and saw they had Jealous Devil brand “Chunx” on sale for $20/20lb. That was about $3 more per bag than the B&B I set out for so I picked up 2 bags to give it whirl. The reviews were always really good, just a matter of price and availability.

Everything stated here is very accurate. I often get quite a bit of sparking and popping from certain brands, the start up process to get the grill holding 300* was almost smokeless, whereas others were fairly smokey. The chunks are very dense and heavy, they’re all generally fist sized +/- 20% or so, no broken bits or unusable powder to speak of. I tilted the bag around and dug a bit and was able to get a fairly good lay of the land with regard to piece size. It comes in what feels like a plastic bag with zipper top, so it seems to do a good job of protecting from the elements and possibly sloshing around inside the bag during handling as well.

I decided a good trial cook would be a reverse seared cowboy ribeye. If the charcoal is going to give off any weird flavors or bad smoke they’d be evident in the final result after spending ~1 hour indirect @ 300* before being seared over direct heat.

Don’t worry I peeled off this hard fat before seasoning it

Getting the charcoal going for the direct heat sear step - it lights easily and responds to airflow adjustments well. I got the dome temp up to about 450* with ease - with the cast iron grates there’s no need to go nuclear with the heat.

Got a nice sear on both sides

I’d overshot my last few cowboy ribeyes by a little bit, so I made an effort to pay more attention this cook and pull from indirect heat when it was feeling rare on the touch test. I was much happier with this one.

Not pictured: salad

All in all, I was quite pleased with the results from Jealous Devil charcoal - no off flavors, a hint of smoke from only the cherry wood chips I used during the indirect portion, it started easily without popping and sparking, produced little smoke, and responded well to airflow adjustments. My grill is still running around 300* 4 hours later, and I only partially filled a half bowl on the left side of the grill. I could probably get 6-7 more uses out of the 20lb bag based on what I used today. So somewhere between $2-3 each time I fire up the grill, not counting reuse that is possible if you shut the vents right after you’re done cooking. I’m going to use it in my Clonesaker next, which will be another good test for someone that in sensitive to charcoal flavor. I will probably go back and buy a couple more bags if it’s still on sale, and consider using it in the future if it’s around this price. Based on this first use, I probably like it better than B&B all else being equal.

Nice review. I have been wanting to try Jealous Devil, but haven’t found it locally. I must be shopping at the wrong Ace here in KC.

This was the one off Ward Road in Lees Summit next to Hyvee. I’d never seen it at any Ace around here previously, so maybe it’s a new addition. I bought 2 bags of B&B there a month or so ago and it wasn’t there then.

I ordered directly from Jealous Devil and if you are willing to buy a few bags, the price goes down. Super happy with the results but I have cussed the bag every time I tried pouring from it. Much easier to pour into a pail and pick from there. The seal on all four of the initial bags I ordered failed to reseal. That said, I am a fan of the charcoal - hate the packaging. Will be purchasing more.

This was the one off Ward Road in Lees Summit next to Hyvee. I’d never seen it at any Ace around here previously, so maybe it’s a new addition. I bought 2 bags of B&B there a month or so ago and it wasn’t there then.

I’m not far from that Ace. I will have to swing by and get a couple bags.

I ordered directly from Jealous Devil and if you are willing to buy a few bags, the price goes down. Super happy with the results but I have cussed the bag every time I tried pouring from it. Much easier to pour into a pail and pick from there. The seal on all four of the initial bags I ordered failed to reseal. That said, I am a fan of the charcoal - hate the packaging. Will be purchasing more.

I couldn’t figure out how how to get the part under the zipper open and wound up just cutting it open lol

Great review ! very detailed. Im huge fan of JD. Anyone intersested in trying it , go to jeaulusdevil.com use promo code keepinitsmokin for discount !

That website also has a good store locator...for those that dont want to have it shipped.

Great review and great cook. I love the Ace selection of charcoals. Did you happen bro grab or find the b&b logs?

On the original poster's comments, I checked out my local Ace Hardware and they had one 20lb bag left along with a couple pallets of Kamado Joe Big Block lump charcoal, my current favorite ahead of B&B.

Got the Jealous Devil yesterday, tried it today. Nothing fancy, just wings and drumsticks on the Kamado Joe Classic I.

The KJ was the best charcoal I had up to this point used, the B&B a distant second but still ahead of Royal Oak, both of which I've found can leave a slight creosote taste on food in some instances.

The Jealous Devil performed every bit as good as the KJ and then some. The original poster's assessment of it, I found to be spot on.

A bit pricey, it was $28.00 for the 20lb bag and the KJ Big Block alongside it was $25.00 for the 20lb bag.

I won't use any other charcoal in the near future aside from these two, the KJ and the JD.

Back