MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
farmer-fred
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tom
Default First Brisket on the Pellet Pro 1190

Just started a cook on the Pellet Pro. First time for a brisket. Trying out my new Savannah Stoker controller using the programmed cook mode. Set for seven hrs @ 180 for some good smoke then 225 until 170 internal. Will then wrap in pink butcher paper till probe tender. Wish me luck guys. Trying to impress the family tomorrow.

20200808_223228[1].jpg
Weber Performer Premium Copper with Vortex Cone & Onlyfire stainless rotisserie ring, Weber Smokey Joe, Trail Embers Triple Function Smoker with Hunsaker Vortex Fire Basket, Kitchen Aid Stainless Gasser, Q-Master Senior Temp Controller, Inkbird IRF-2S Digital Thermometer. Little Griddle GQ230 100% Stainless Steel griddle attachment, Pellet Pro 1190 Pellet Grill With searing station.
farmer-fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-08-2020, 10:39 PM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Interesting. You didn't care for the stock controller?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-08-2020, 10:52 PM   #3
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

I love the idea of 180* for 7 hours. Get that good smoke on it! Ready to see a finished product.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
farmer-fred
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Interesting. You didn't care for the stock controller?

Nothing wrong with the stock controller but I like to modify things. I bought the Savannah Stoker because of the ability to fine tune the smoker and the programmable cook feature. Also to get higher grilling temps I installed a 2.5 rpm auger motor in place of the 2 rpm that came in it. The SS allows fine tuning of on, off and auger run time to prevent temp over/ under shoots with the larger auger motor. @ 180-200 I now get excellent smoke and the go grill feature allows 500 Deg plus grilling if so desired. I will probably put the stock controller and auger motor up for sale. It would make a great upgrade for a non PID controlled Traeger for someone.

A picture after 10 hrs @ 180 deg smoking. Internal is @ 160. I will wrap when it hits 170.

20200809_081501[1].jpg
Weber Performer Premium Copper with Vortex Cone & Onlyfire stainless rotisserie ring, Weber Smokey Joe, Trail Embers Triple Function Smoker with Hunsaker Vortex Fire Basket, Kitchen Aid Stainless Gasser, Q-Master Senior Temp Controller, Inkbird IRF-2S Digital Thermometer. Little Griddle GQ230 100% Stainless Steel griddle attachment, Pellet Pro 1190 Pellet Grill With searing station.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:19 AM   #5
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

Interesting mod Tom .... this is tempting me as I like to modify stuff also. I think I need to get more cooks with my 1190 before doing anything ... however, since I'm thinking of moving I toss around the idea of selling both my Assassin and Pellet Pro to lighten the load.... but just thinking. Anyway cook looks great.
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #6
farmer-fred
Full Fledged Farker

The Brisket came out very good. I wrapped @ 175 and raised the temp in the smoker to 225. when it hit 205 I probed it and it was as they say like warm butter. I added another layer of wrap and put it in a cooler wrapped in blankets. It rested for about four hrs before slicing. It was very tender but the flat was just a little dry. I think I removed to much of the fat cap. Everyone just loved it and the flavor was on point. I was amazed at the smoke production on the Pellet Pro with the Savannah stoker controller. Even after I raised the temp to 225 it was producing good smoke.
Nice Bark.
20200809_172750[1].jpg

Great smoke ring for a pellet grill.
20200809_173128[1].jpg

Old 08-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Looks pretty good to me.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2020, 05:09 AM   #8
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

That does look very good,

Old 08-10-2020, 06:33 AM   #9
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Nicely done indeed

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2020, 07:01 AM   #10
farmer-fred
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Guys. So far I am really happy with the Pellet Pro, The Savannah Stoker controller and the 2.5 auger motor made a really good grill great. It now smokes well and also can do high temp grilling if so desired. I really like my Trail Embers drum smoker but this is so much easier to use.
Tom