MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
BIGBrandon2785
Full Fledged Farker

Default Mustard rub on ribs????

Has anybody heard of this???I just got used to doin 3-1-1 ribs(by the way there awesome that way) but I heard someone the other day talking about a mustard rub on ribs???

That dont really sound good but I would try it on half a rack just to see.Anybody know of this??
BIGBrandon2785 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

This is very common. Its not for flavor but to allow the rub to stick better onto the meat. You don't taste the mustard after its done cooking.
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I think it's over rated. Let the rub sit on the ribs about 10-15 minutes and it will melt right into the meat.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
BIGBrandon2785
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Dog BBQ View Post
I think it's over rated. Let the rub sit on the ribs about 10-15 minutes and it will melt right into the meat.
Im gonna give the mustard a try but I usally put the rub on my ribs right before I make my fire so it sits for about 30 minutes anyways.
BIGBrandon2785 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I have never tried mustard and have no problem with my rub sticking.. I think it's a mustard company myth so they can sell more goo.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

A lot of the crutches I used when doing low and slow were not needed when I got faster and hotter. Goen where the elaborate rubs to build artificial barks, gone was foiling, injections were no longer needed (although my injection is stellar), gone was spritzing, having Jenna Haze slather them with her happy ass... all that stuff, including mustard... NOW MY HIT ME FRED SAUCE I LOVE to use on those farkers.

I agree with the poster that says it adds little. I use it from time to time... aS ANYONE who has seen my vids can see. I do like to use it on Butts.

Oh... IT DOES open up those pores due to the vinegar.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

The famous Car Wash Mike Ribs get this much mustard.....

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #8
markpmc
Knows what a fatty is.

I think it's mostly for the vinegar _not_ the mustard. Think of mustard as gooey vinegar. Don't use it myself.
markpmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #9
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Always use the mustard slather, but I'll be the first to say it probably adds little to the final product. Just part of the ritual of making st. louis spares.

Good Luck!

Old 08-01-2010, 05:53 AM   #10
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Depends on your mustard.

IMHO, American mustard is sweet and mild. I like it for kids stuff, but it's got no guts.

It gives you a false understanding of real mustard, which can have you trying to cut the top of your head off with a cleaver to let the heat out.

I just love it when I make a sammich with fresh English Hot Mustard... it burns the hairs out of my nostrils!..

What U Got???
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #11
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Last time I did ribs it was 21 racks of trimmed spares. I used mustard + Plowboy's Yardbird. What I noticed was where blobs of mustard spilled, it wiped right up. Where dry rub spilled, it could be swept right up. But where they mixed as they spilled, it formed a tenacious gluey glob that had to really be washed strongly to come off. To me, making rub be that sticky is the goal. Nothing at all to do with flavor.
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote