Injection ?

B

BamaRN

Anyone have ideas on the the best injections or a whole hog? :confused:

Well; shouldn't be any different than what is used for butt's

Here is one suggestion

I never done a whole hog but, to season a pork shoulder to roast, I have always used "Mojo", it is a cuban style marinade and you can usually find it in the Spanish food section. Goya is one of the companies that puts it out. It is very flavorful and goes great with pork.
Inject the pork very well with the mojo and let it absorb the marinade, preferably overnite.

Here is a link that tells you how to make from scratch.

http://www.tasteofcuba.com/mojo.html

Good Luck!

I like Mojo too. Apple juice seems to go with everything too.

Thanks I'm going with apple juice Etc. Some friends want to leave the meat alone(just smoked) but I like to doctor up any meat I cook

I inject any pork I cook, butts, shoulder, whole hog, etc. Pork is basically bland and the flavor from the juice and other seasonings really enhance the experience. My basic injection is apple juice with just enough sugar and salt so that you can taste it -- in other words, a very light brine. You can add rub or other flavors as long as you strain it so it doesn't clog the injector.

Now, I do have a brine injector and that makes a huge difference in the amount of labor to get a whole hog injected.

I've eaten hog without the injection and it's good, but the additional moisture and flavor is noticable.

Just cook in a whole hog cook off here in Eastern NC. I use apple juice. I can tell the dif in the mositure content, combine that and useing wild cherry wood to smoke ,, it taste so much better than doing nothing.

Back