Sous vide Chuck Eye

Does the short 2 hour Sous Vide really tenderize that much or is chuck eye that tender to start with? BTW, can't see the pic either.

Those first one or two steaks into the shoulder are about like a ribeye because they are one bone away. BTW now I can't see the picture today, but could yesterday.

Does the short 2 hour Sous Vide really tenderize that much or is chuck eye that tender to start with? BTW, can't see the pic either.

Those first one or two steaks into the shoulder are about like a ribeye because they are one bone away. BTW now I can't see the picture today, but could yesterday.

Darita, the rib primal (rib eye loin) is cut from rib bones 6-12 ... with bone six being up front by the chuck, and bone 12 being further back by the strip loin. As such, the spinalis compromises more of the loin up by bone six & can nearly be non-existent on the 12 bone end. As stated, the next steak forward of bone six is the Chuck Eye. I believe that technically there is only one per side, but many butchers cut the next two steaks & call them Chuck Eyes ... not everyone agrees with that however.

So, yes. The Chuck Eye is very tender as it is almost an extention of the rib spinalis. It can sometimes have some chewy spots because of all the connective tissue included in it (the steak is compromised of several muscle groups). But they are usually very tender.

Cooking them sous vide for a couple hours isn't really about tenderizing them. It's more a matter of getting that perfect doneness from edge-to-edge.

Jay

Thanks. I sous vide for tenderness on tuff cuts. Shawn I read chuck eye, I associated it with a chuck and wondering it could get tender in just 2 hours. I’ll have to keep an eye out for the chuck eye cut. Thanks again.

Picked up a pair of these yesterday, remembering this thread. After re-reading it, I might need to stop back at the store before I head back home tomorrow..

I can't see it either. Strangely, I run Chrome and most of the time I can't see a Google photo. You'd think Google and Chrome would work well together.

Not sure why I posted me, I run edge ? , went to a web site I had not been on in years, somebody got my info and ran the posts way over 100000 , managed to get my account deleted along with all the bogus posts, had to be site owner or a forum manager

I got a sous vide machine for Christmas and have been trying it out. I have been told that for a good steak 2 hours is plenty - that the texture will start to get "mushy" after 3+ hours. We did wild rabbit tonight for 2-1/2 hours and it was too much. Texture was beyond tender and getting mushy.

Back