How to make nacho cheese?

TravelingJ

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
When we make nachos at home, I love just using freshly grated cheese, then throwing them in the oven. However, we are doing a nacho bar at a family gathering, and I really don't want to just buy a can of the goop. Any good ideas? I tried a recipe last week that used evaporated milk, cheddar, and american cheese-and it was a clumpy mess.

Make a roux
Add Milk
When Milk is warm and starting to thicken, add desired cheeses: pepper jack, Monterey Jack, American, Cheddar, Velvet, etc.
Stir until melted

Go to heb and buy that cheap ass can of nacho cheese and add what you want!

When we make nachos at home, I love just using freshly grated cheese, then throwing them in the oven. However, we are doing a nacho bar at a family gathering, and I really don't want to just buy a can of the goop. Any good ideas? I tried a recipe last week that used evaporated milk, cheddar, and american cheese-and it was a clumpy mess.

Here is something to think about since this is a special family event.

When I was a little boy in South Texas nachos were way different than they are today. Bowling alley's, skating rinks and beer joints served them as individual triangles of fresh fried tortillas, not a pile of chips with toppings. Nachos were cheese, seasonings and a single slice of jalapeno. Usually served ~20 at a time on a pizza pan. Sometimes with salsa on the side, or just a bottle of hot sauce. And.... a lot of napkins because of the grease. :thumb:

Here are two links that are close to what I remember 50 years ago, and I'll leave the idea right here.

https://www.seriouseats.com/real-texas-nachos-recipe

https://houseofyumm.com/texas-style-nachos/

We just melt straight velveeta down, a little milk to thin it. Or you can make Rotel dip and use it.
Rotel dip is one block velveeta, 2 cans rotel(your favorite), and 1 lb sausage(your call there too).

I just found my new secret ingredient for the best cheese sauce. Sodium Citrate. I just made the best Mac N Cheese I've ever made. No more globs of ooze sitting in a pool of liquid. And the best part is you can use whatever kind of cheese you want.

Heard about this stuff a few years back, finally got around to ordering some.

Here's a Cook's Illustrated article about it. And even the chemical formula spells nacho!

Na3C6H5O7-2

Sodium citrate is awesome, though be careful as it can get bitter.

In fact, Velveeta has Sodium citrate in it already, which is why it melts so well. You can even just add a small amount of Velveeta to any cheese sauce recipe and it will help smooth it out.

Sodium citrate is awesome, though be careful as it can get bitter.

In fact, Velveeta has Sodium citrate in it already, which is why it melts so well. You can even just add a small amount of Velveeta to any cheese sauce recipe and it will help smooth it out.

Gotta put some cut on it eh

If determined to make your own melty cheese Chuds BBQ YouTube video on cheese burgers shows you how. Good video less than 15 minutes.

Some great options! Thanks guys. I've tried a few of those methods in the past, with varied success. Guess today will be a practice run with a ton of cheese, to see which option works best!

Much appreciated, will report back!

This is the recipe I use for American cheese, but you should be able to use whatever cheese you like:

100g Butter
300g Heavy Cream
20g Sodium Citrate
700g Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Use an immersion blender.

The tiktok smoked queso has been my go to since I found it. Super easy and all in one disposable foil pan.

I just found my new secret ingredient for the best cheese sauce. Sodium Citrate. I just made the best Mac N Cheese I've ever made. No more globs of ooze sitting in a pool of liquid. And the best part is you can use whatever kind of cheese you want.

Heard about this stuff a few years back, finally got around to ordering some.

I believe ya can use that ta make American cheese slices as well, but of course yer slices are a entirely different quality of cheese....meaning the excellent melting properties, but not American cheese.

-D

I concur with those using sodium citrate. The main advantage I find is the ability to use harder/drier cheese (e.g. sharp cheddar) that normally wouldn't melt as well. This is usually for mac and cheese though not nachos, which I would be fine using a creamier naturally melting cheese for.

Here is something to think about since this is a special family event.

When I was a little boy in South Texas nachos were way different than they are today. Bowling alley's, skating rinks and beer joints served them as individual triangles of fresh fried tortillas, not a pile of chips with toppings. Nachos were cheese, seasonings and a single slice of jalapeno. Usually served ~20 at a time on a pizza pan. Sometimes with salsa on the side, or just a bottle of hot sauce. And.... a lot of napkins because of the grease. :thumb:

Here are two links that are close to what I remember 50 years ago, and I'll leave the idea right here.

https://www.seriouseats.com/real-texas-nachos-recipe

https://houseofyumm.com/texas-style-nachos/

For some reason, this reminded me of cheese crisps. When I was a wee boy growing up in Arizona this was a very common thing. Essentially, it was just a large fresh flour tortilla on a cookie sheet with grated cheeses on top. If you were really fancy you'd put sliced jalapenos or diced Hatch chiles, which I preferred. Put it in the over and cook until the bottom got crispy. Whenever we'd go out, we'd have this as an appetizer. We'd just take turns breaking or snapping off a piece until it was gone. I remember the cheese would often be a bit stretchy like pizza and those strings would make your mouth water. My mother used to make them when we had company over. I don't remember seeing this in a restaurant or on a menu in like forever. Funny how food goes out of style. Dang, now I want one. Wonder if this was just a regional thing.

photo1jpg.jpg

Back