Beef Cheeks

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
The guy that I get my pigs from does a few cows as well and texted me a while back and asked if I wanted the heads. He said he had 4 of them and I was welcome to them. I guess after dealing with pig heads, the size of these kind of caught me off guard..........anyhow, here is 1 of them.

ZjtYB9k.jpg

Worked my way through them and decided to smoke a few of the cheeks as a reward for a job well done.

Hit 2 with rub and 2 with the salt and pepper.

ytZMzRq.jpg

Into the smoker at 250 with cherry wood for the smoke. 3 or 4 hours in at this point.

YmA1cB2.jpg

I wrapped them around the 6 hour point and let them go another a couple until they felt ready.

BHNZCVT.jpg

Wife was out of town and saw no compelling reason to get a plate dirty, so just slice and eat.

F5ZmEzV.jpg

Man, I love these things. After messing with the heads and getting all that I could out of them, I came to conclusion that just buying the cheeks was the way to go. It was fun and good learning experience in any case, but it will hold me over for a while.

I want to try Beef Cheeks but when I do I'm not telling the better half what they are. :p

Nice work and thanks for sharing. I hear you when the wife's away why dirty a dish.

Just showed my wife this thread...she says...is that the same guy who does Face Bacon? I said...well yes it is...

She says...will you please stop showing me these. They make my stomach turn, and I don't like it!

Heeheeheehee. I love it.

You're my hero Joe. Love your threads. Beef cheeks rule.

Sako says it about as well as it can be said.

Beef cheeks are fantastic. The first time I made 'em the fam was looking at me like "what is this sorcery?" Big hit around here.

Would you try barbacoa, like the real barbacoa that's a cow head wrapped in burlap cooked underground? Apparently it's really hard to get the real deal stuff from a restaurant. I've never had it, but it sounds killer.

Love your cheeks! wait...let me rephrase that...:doh:

I love beef cheeks. Hard to find a tastier cut of beef. imo
Can't quite tell....Is that a Jersey, Joe?

Sako says it about as well as it can be said.

Beef cheeks are fantastic. The first time I made 'em the fam was looking at me like "what is this sorcery?" Big hit around here.

Would you try barbacoa, like the real barbacoa that's a cow head wrapped in burlap cooked underground? Apparently it's really hard to get the real deal stuff from a restaurant. I've never had it, but it sounds killer.

Love your cheeks! wait...let me rephrase that...:doh:

Right on Q!
My dad used to do them that way in a hole in the ground, best barbacoa ever. Too much work for me, I buy the cheek meat and lengua (tongue) from Sams and depending time ect. will cook them indirect on the Hasty Bake or one of the pellet grills. Have also done them in the crockpot overnight low n slow, it becomes melt in your mouth wonderful. Lungua is a little more beefy and dry but a lot if folks like it because it has very little if any fat. We keep it simple with a little spg and a bay leaf, wonderful stuff right there.
It's true that more and more restaurants are using roast and or brisket now days so we like to make the real stuff at home.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Awesome! You might be one of my Top 10 favorite posters on here. No offense to present company!

Thanks for all the kind words folks. It really adds to the gratification that I already get from trying to use the whole animal.

Back