MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #46
LongTong
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1233 View Post
I've never had an issue with chewy TrI tip but I'm from ca and tri tip is nothing new to us, we cook tri tip daily around here. Something I learned on here though us cutting it against the grain will get the best results and if u cut with the grain some people get chewy tri tip out of it. Someone on here gave me this diagram showing me the proper way to cut a tri tip.
The above diagram shows how the grain fans out. Cut the black line then perpendicular to the white lines for your slices...

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #47
scott1459
On the road to being a farker

yeah I've been curious about tri-tip as well... especially now!
looks great!
scott1459 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #48
Wood Fire Steel
Full Fledged Farker

TFS-913-- no marinade. Salt, pepper, powder garlic, onion powder, chili powder. I checked my probe last night the best I know how. 212 in boiling water and 33 in very slushy near frozen water.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #49
Wood Fire Steel
Full Fledged Farker

Long tong- that is basically how I sliced this one.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #50
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Awesome cook. Now don't buy any more. You are driving my prices up.... :)
Gotta agree with Marty. Seems like tri-tip prices just keep going up. I'm almost tempted to start a campaign of disinformation to try to reduce demand and prices.

But unfortunately I think the word is out for good...
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #51
LongTong
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Shop for Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Gotta agree with Marty. Seems like tri-tip prices just keep going up. I'm almost tempted to start a campaign of disinformation to try to reduce demand and prices.

But unfortunately I think the word is out for good...
I find that Albertsons has them on sale sometime during every month. Again starting tomorrow, they have 'em for $5.99 untrimmed. Last week, I found 'em for $4.99 untrimmed at a small local chain called "Wholesome Choice. Every Tuesday, I get flyers in the mail from at least 5 or 6 local chains and shop from there for the upcoming week's BBQ.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:31 AM   #52
insaneh
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great. I still haven't found tri tip around here.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #53
jstokes3
On the road to being a farker

Since reading this post and the fact that it makes my mouth water, I've found tri-tips at Trader Joe's and plan on it being a Mother's day cook on the Weber kettle.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #54
LongTong
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Way To Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstokes3 View Post
Since reading this post and the fact that it makes my mouth water, I've found tri-tips at Trader Joe's and plan on it being a Mother's day cook on the Weber kettle.
Post pics of your cook. Can't wait to see the hook set....

Old 05-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #55
bradymartin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman0321 View Post
I agree that the next day it isn't as good. FWIW I have found that if you take what you have left over, toss it in the fridge over night, and then slice it super thin with a deli slicer, it makes some of the most awesome sandwiches ever.
but if i cook the tri tip to medium rare and slice leftovers the next day wont eating that make me sick?

what i do is cook leftovers again so theres no pink and eat, but doesnt taste nearly as good. im thinking maybe i can grind leftovers and grill for hamburgers.
bradymartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2015, 10:59 PM   #56
1buckie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
but if i cook the tri tip to medium rare and slice leftovers the next day wont eating that make me sick?

what i do is cook leftovers again so theres no pink and eat, but doesnt taste nearly as good. im thinking maybe i can grind leftovers and grill for hamburgers.
Not quite sure about making you sick.....I do it all the time......slice fairly thin, eat whatever, re-stack together & refrigerate.....a little loss of taste, but not bad.......never made anyone sick......

Some people (the wife included) like to dip in au jus the next day.....I'll slap it on a sammie w/ avocado......could eat that 5~6 days in a row & not ever tire of how good it is.....
1buckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #57
bradymartin
Banned

ok ill try that then. ill have to get a slicer though but ive been wanting one for a while.
bradymartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef, smoker, Trii tip, Weber 22.5