MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Don Jeansonne
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default temp controller for Weber Kettle- Auber vs. PartyQ

I want to add temp control to my Weber kettle on a Performer.
I am considering the Auber nit vs. the Guru ParyQ. Any comments or suggestions?
I only want pit temp control and not spent a pot of $.
Any suggestions on options or what to include or exclude is appreciated.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
rksylves
Full Fledged Farker

There was a Alton Brown show on the other night where he was doing a cook on a kettle and he had a device that hung on the grill handle and has an attachment that goes on one of the bottom vents. He then taped over the other two vents. looked really cool. I'd love to know what device that was and where to get it.

Russ

Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
rksylves
Full Fledged Farker

Found it.

http://pitmasteriq.com/

Old 06-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Don Jeansonne
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default pitmasteriq

This unit has some good features like fan speed or volume control up to 25cfm. Most others use on/off control. It doesn't have a digital temp readout like most others do. The price of $140 is slightly higher than Auber on sale. This company is small maybe one guy and Auber is larger with a very responsive customer service. The Auber does have many options for temp probes slightly lower price too.

It is a good controller though.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

I have an Auber and it works great.. Very easy to use and setup. their customer service is impeccable I pulled the end off my temp probe accidently and called to get a replace ment they sent a new one no charge ....nice..!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg auber setup 1.JPG (189.7 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg auber setup 3.JPG (223.3 KB, 476 views)
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
glh17
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Pitmaster Ique set up on my OTS. Used it four or five times and it's working well at this point. I can't speak to the the Party Q or Auber but my guess is that they work well too.

I have digi on my WSM and the folks at bbqguru have been helpful.
glh17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
wauggy
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default partyq

I have used my partyq for 5 cooks on my weber OTS it seems perfect for the kettle
wauggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
hb_nc

I have the Auber Ins. Weber controller on a Weber Bullet. It works really well. I have used it probably 6 times and it keeps temps in range well. FYI, The instruction manual is not that great. But, customer service experience was good.
hb_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Bebe
Full Fledged Farker

Here's mine, but for a DigiQ if you don't mind the price.
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

Does the iq have alarms or just flashing lights?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

I have a partyQ, and have used it for a few overnight cooks - worked great. I slept through the night without worrying about the fire. Did not have to wake up to kick the drum or anything. I put the grate probe in the top vent, figure out how much the dome temp runs hotter than the grate, and it just goes e.g. if I want 250 at the grate, the dome temp will be about 265. I homebrewed adapters for both of my drums.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
Ufo8mycow
Knows what a fatty is.

I have the pitmaster and i have only used it a few times but i love it. I love that i can set it and forget it. I dont care about not having a readout. Does it really matter that you may be at a couple degrees off?
Ufo8mycow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #13
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

I've dealt with Aubers a couple of times with questions about their sous vide controllers and they were very helpful and their equipment is very good. If I buy a controller for my Weber or UDS, it will likely be Aubers.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
wauggy

I have partyq AND OTS have done 5 cooks could not be happier longest cook so far 6 hours for some very meaty SLC ribs wow good might have had enough charcoal for another hour
wauggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
Smoker101
On the road to being a farker

I have the Aubers i bought it for the uds and then i finally got a kamado and all i needed to do was order the adapter for it and it was ready to use. i love mine alot and it really helps with those nights i need sleep. Aubers and there customer service to me is top notch. they will help you out no matter what. I first got a controller and the screen numbers where messed up i called them and they sent me a new one asap with over night shipping and i returned the old one no questions asked. my Auber looks just like razrbakcrzy but the fan i have is a 10cfm not the 6.5 or 25 cfm fan they come with.

Tags
atc, temp controller, Weber 22.5