MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:35 AM   #16
Sooner21
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2021 View Post
Here are a few reasons for $34 per pound...

1. I am sure it is very good brisket
2. Texas Monthly and the "myth" that their list promotes in Texas
3. There is no "best" bbq. Just like there is no best pizza, bagel, salsa, taco, etc. There is your own preference and style. Franklin is not any better than Stubbs, Rendevouz, Smitty's, and countless other "legendary" bbq places throughout the USA
4. People are gullible
5. Austin is a large city with lots of dumb tourists who are willing to fork over whatever the asking price is just so they can tell their equally dumb friends and family "I tried it." He could raise it to $40 per pound (and I am sure he will) and these morons would still buy it. And, they would still wait in line for 2-3 hours.

I would NEVER pay that much for a pound of anything and I sure as hell would never wait more than 10-15 minutes to order food.

Yeah ummm Franklin's is better than those places. Have you eaten at them? Stubbs isn't good food - just a great venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sooner21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2022, 07:51 AM   #17
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

1. I am sure it is very good brisket
2. Texas Monthly and the "myth" that their list promotes in Texas
3. There is no "best" bbq. Just like there is no best pizza, bagel, salsa, taco, etc. There is your own preference and style. Franklin is not any better than Stubbs, Rendevouz, Smitty's, and countless other "legendary" bbq places throughout the USA
4. People are gullible
5. Austin is a large city with lots of dumb tourists who are willing to fork over whatever the asking price is just so they can tell their equally dumb friends and family "I tried it." He could raise it to $40 per pound (and I am sure he will) and these morons would still buy it. And, they would still wait in line for 2-3 hours.

I would NEVER pay that much for a pound of anything and I sure as hell would never wait more than 10-15 minutes to order food.
I'm sorry but your number 3 statement might be the most preposterous statement of the day. You mention that you have "your own preference and style" but then followed by, "Franklin is not any better than Stubbs, Rendevouz, Smitty's, and countless other "legendary" bbq places throughout the USA."

Huh? So I can have my own preferences except for Franklin's?

You also mention lots of "dumb" tourists but go onto list every big bbq tourist location and say it's not better. Huh?

I'm sorry but but bbq is not all the same. If you're walking into a place and eating "Nirvana" type of bbq in under 10-15 minute wait time I'd probably question what you're eating.....
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-28-2022, 07:52 AM   #18
slider2021
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : The Dark Bark

I was in the travel business for 30+ years. I had the opportunity to travel all over the world and the USA. I have literally been to every single state except North Dakota. I also owned and operated a wine bar/restaurant in NYC for several years and went to The French Culinary Institute in NYC. I think I am more than qualified to judge food, taste, appearance, quality, and value.

Yes, I have been to all of the places I mentioned - plus hundreds more. And yes, they are equally as good, if not better than Franklin's As I mentioned, there is no "best" of anything.

BTW - some of the best bbq places in the world are not in America. Brazil, Spain, Puerto Rico and Mexico have bbq that will blow away about 50% of the stuff I had in America.
slider2021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2022, 07:55 AM   #19
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Brisket by the pound around here is $30 for the good stuff. I see no issue with Franklin charging $34. Supply and demand.

Now, for the original poster, when I get wine by FedEx or UPS, it has to be signed for. I set it to go to one of their nearby locations where I can pick it up. I suspect you might be able to do the same. You should get an email saying it is there and ready for you.

Last edited by Mikhail; 06-28-2022 at 08:07 AM..
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2022, 07:57 AM   #20
slider2021
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : The Dark Bark

Weber - I use those others as a frame of reference. Who the hell would know the countless others out the that are not popular? Duh!

I didn't knock Franklin's nor did I say I have a preference for one place over another.

So you equate wait time with quality? You know nothing about business or food prep. You are just the type of gullible customer I talked about. Sorry, but your type would make a guy like me thousands of dollars a week, and has - just like Franklin counts on.
slider2021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2022, 08:20 AM   #21
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I think I am more than qualified to judge food, taste, appearance, quality, and value.
Wait, weren't you the one who just said that everyone has their own preference and style?
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2022, 09:06 AM   #22
Kevin James
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ

Wow.... this thread seriously de-railed lol.

Ugh... yesterday tracking update just said "label created", which it has said since last Thursday, so I figured it wasn't showing up today. Told the boss I would just come in today. Wake up... check status... "out for delivery".. WTF? So I guess I'm not going in to the office today.

As to if it is worth what they charge? That's simple supply and demand. Fact is that it is often sold out on Goldbelly, so clearly they do not have a problem selling at their prices. And isn't that the point of capitalism in the first place, to let the market dictate what you charge and how much profit you can make? Plus, even figuring in the brisket itself at roughly $170, they are shipping it overnight which is not cheap, that has to be at least $30-$50, and that leaves another $30 - $70, which is split between Franklin and Goldbelly who both need to make a profit.

Now for me, this was a ONE and DONE thing. I cook brisket all the time. I'm striving for perfection. But I've never been to Texas or had brisket from any of the places I'm trying to emulate, and I'm not going there any time soon. So I figure how can I really know how good my brisket is if I have nothing to compare it to? With Franklin long being considered the gold standard (whether right or wrong), that is what I wanted to try.

So is it worth it, to me, yes, for this ONE time as it will tell me what I need to know about my own brisket.

And for those that don't agree, fortunately for you, it's not your money and you don't have to have the displeasure of eating it LOL.

Last edited by Kevin James; 06-28-2022 at 09:30 AM..
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:26 AM   #23
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Yep. It's a unique experience. I can easily spend $270 going out to dinner.

I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Old 06-28-2022, 11:42 AM   #24
Fooball
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
I can easily spend $270 going out to dinner.
Fooball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2022, 12:06 PM   #25
roademier
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I would pay that much for a pound of gold among other things.
roademier is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-28-2022, 12:20 PM   #26
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Good morning TravelingJ - there is so many things wrong with your reply that I don't even know where to begin

1. I never said it was FREE SHIPPING. Goldbelly said it. Look at their website.
2. $34 per pound is a ripoff and insane
3. Goldbelly has shipping locations all over the US. If you think that they are sending one guy, in one truck, to pick up on brisket, you know nothing about commerce and business. So no, it doesn't cost $310 in fuel.
1) Your post clearly said "Goldbelly is making a $100 profit to ship 5 pounds." If they charge $270 to ship it to you, and Franklins charges $170 for the brisket, that math is $270-$170=$100. So for them to make $100 in profit, shipping itself would have to be literally free, same with the shipping materials and whatever means are necessary for them to acquire this brisket to send to you.
2) That's simply your own personal, and obviously overly jealous, opinion.
3) $310 is what I said it cost ME to drive to Austin last month. But I guess your reading comprehension is about as on point as your math.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2022, 12:26 PM   #27
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roademier View Post
I would pay that much for a pound of gold among other things.

Two pounds, even.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:36 PM   #28
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Have you seen the fuel prices lately? Goldbelly is a for profit business that has to make money. It's not for everyone so if you don't like it don't use it.

I'm one of the the morons that stood it in line at Franklin for 4 hours with a bunch of other morons. We had a helluva time. I'll tell you that much. Get out more.

Seems like everything to you evolves around $$$. Unfortunately the world works that way and people just can't hand out chit for free. That's how they make living just like you do.

Yes and my trip to Austin cost about $1800 for four days. This was in 2019 when my airfare was less than $200 round trip.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)

Last edited by ssv3; 06-28-2022 at 01:06 PM..
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2022, 01:03 PM   #29
SonVolt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SonVolt

Quote:
I was in the travel business for 30+ years.

I had the opportunity to travel all over the world and the USA.

I have literally been to every single state except North Dakota.

I also owned and operated a wine bar/restaurant in NYC for several years

I went to The French Culinary Institute in NYC.

I think I am more than qualified to judge food, taste, appearance, quality, and value.

I almost fainted at such an impressive list of self-satisfied feats. Did you graduate from the FCI? Is your wine bar still in business?
SonVolt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:15 PM   #30
snadamo
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

The Stable: Weber Kettle 22.5 | Weber Genesis II | WSM 18.5" | Camp Chef DLX 24 | Blackstone ProSeries 36" Griddle | Backwoods Chubby G3 | Big Chief front loader | Oklahoma Joe Highland | LSG 30” Cabinet offset
snadamo is offline   Reply With Quote