MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #1456
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

On Saturday I had a brisket tutorial cook for some of my friends that have picked up a PBC. We planned on a get together at one of my friends' ranch property to cover the brisket from A-Z. They all agreed that the info I gave them goes from one ear and out of the other so a "hands on" cook and a visual would be much better. Was a really fun time.

PBC doing its thing while we enjoy a few cold ones and shoot sh*t

Done

Plated

Some burnt ends (not a great pic)

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-12-2015, 03:54 PM   #1457
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

That's the Way!!!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #1458
jjjonz
Take a breath!

Looks like that PBC will cook with the best of them. Wow that's a fine looking brisket.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #1459
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Sako taken'm to school! Lol. Very nice!

I had to put my brisket in the freezer to cook another day. Things didn't work out as planned this weekend. But don't worry I'll cook it up soon. I didn't go to Sako's school but I can still make a pretty good PBC brisket! Lol

dfinn, nice gyros bro!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #1460
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Sako taken'm to school! Lol. Very nice!

I had to put my brisket in the freezer to cook another day. Things didn't work out as planned this weekend. But don't worry I'll cook it up soon. I didn't go to Sako's school but I can still make a pretty good PBC brisket! Lol

dfinn, nice gyros bro!

Thanks Andrew!! I know sometimes things don't go as planned. Neighbors were supposed to come over last night when I got a call from a friends mom with terrible news of his death. Naturally, I canceled everything and headed out. Only 35 years old. RIP So long as it's nothing like that. Makes you pause, appreciate and give thanks the man upstairs for everything you've got.

On to happier things and the brisket tutorial. Like I've said I have a quite a few friends and some of their friends having a ton of questions on brisket. It started with me explaining the procedure of the brisket and when they heard words like packer, flat, point, butcher paper vs foil, IT.... each of them stared at me and said "What the fark are you talking about?" Clearly I knew that we had to plan a day of schooling so we did. Lots of fun. After it was said and done they all said it helped them out a whole lot and they now can give it a shot themselves and at least had an idea what to do. I covered the brisket grades, where to buy it from, packer vs flat, the trim, seasoning, temps and control blah blah blah.....

Good times!
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #1461
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Oh man! I'm sorry to hear about your friend Sako! That's terrible news to receive!
Fortunately, nothing like that kept me from cooking, we just had too much going on and I decided it's best to put it off....plus my back yard area where I typically cook it getting re-done. I'll attach a pic. I'll show the finished pics when they are done. Probably later this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151010_153034.jpg (85.1 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 20151010_153055.jpg (56.7 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg 20151010_153044.jpg (88.7 KB, 247 views)
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 10-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #1462
Deebo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Deebo

I, too, am sorry for the loss of your friend, Sako. He was way too young! That really hits home since I'm 36!

I'll be firing up my PBC for a chicken cook on Thursday. Thinking about brining it the night before. I'll be using the all-purpose rub that came with the smoker. Got any brining suggestions?
Weber Performer w/ Vortex and Slow-n-Sear
Maverick ET-733
Maverick XR-50
Blue Superfast Thermapen
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #1463
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I, too, am sorry for the loss of your friend, Sako. He was way too young! That really hits home since I'm 36!

I'll be firing up my PBC for a chicken cook on Thursday. Thinking about brining it the night before. I'll be using the all-purpose rub that came with the smoker. Got any brining suggestions?
I cant help you with brining, but I'd recommend Plowboys Yardbird rub. You can get it at Academy. The All-purpose rub isn't bad but I prefer Plowboys. Another rub I like is KosmosQ's Dirty bird. But that one needs to be ordered online.

Good luck! The PBC makes great chicken.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 10-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #1464
Fwismoker

Hey just checking in, Still am in a long non hanging funk although I did hang a couple of potatoes wrapped in foil the other day.......... sooo maybe....just maybe there is hope for me yet.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #1465
skwerlee
Knows what a fatty is.

Here's what I’ve done in order to help insure consistent cooks on my PBC. As most of you guys know the most crucial step in cooking on the PBC is a good light up procedure. Everything else about the cook is predicated off of that. After talking with Noah about some issues I was having with regards to cooks taking longer than they should I started doing what Noah personally does…which is the lighter fluid method. I soak a fully loaded basket of coals and immediately light them. I’m at 472ft of elevation and was having issues when letting the coals ash over for 15-20 minutes (that was too long). Now I only wait 12 minutes before I hang the meat and close her up. My cooks have improved drastically since employing this method. Also, now that I have a thermometer installed I simply crack the lid for a few minutes if I see temps fall off. Once I get the cooker up to around 280 it’ll stay there pretty well.
skwerlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #1466
Deebo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Deebo

Quote:
I cant help you with brining, but I'd recommend Plowboys Yardbird rub. You can get it at Academy. The All-purpose rub isn't bad but I prefer Plowboys. Another rub I like is KosmosQ's Dirty bird. But that one needs to be ordered online.

Good luck! The PBC makes great chicken.
I've heard good things about that Plowboys rub. I'll have to order some since we don't have an Academy around here. I wish we did cause I'd raid their fishing gear!! For this cook, I'll have to go with the All-Purpose rub but I'll use the Plowboys next time. I'll have to do some looking around to find some info on a brine for the bird.
Weber Performer w/ Vortex and Slow-n-Sear
Maverick ET-733
Maverick XR-50
Blue Superfast Thermapen
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #1467
jjjonz
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwerlee View Post
Here's what I’ve done in order to help insure consistent cooks on my PBC. As most of you guys know the most crucial step in cooking on the PBC is a good light up procedure. Everything else about the cook is predicated off of that. After talking with Noah about some issues I was having with regards to cooks taking longer than they should I started doing what Noah personally does…which is the lighter fluid method. I soak a fully loaded basket of coals and immediately light them. I’m at 472ft of elevation and was having issues when letting the coals ash over for 15-20 minutes (that was too long). Now I only wait 12 minutes before I hang the meat and close her up. My cooks have improved drastically since employing this method. Also, now that I have a thermometer installed I simply crack the lid for a few minutes if I see temps fall off. Once I get the cooker up to around 280 it’ll stay there pretty well.
I agree 100%,you need hot coals from the start. I learned that long ago when I cooked on my mini wsm PBC style. Oh and I have had more consistant starts with lighter fluid.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #1468
ssv3

Quote:
Oh man! I'm sorry to hear about your friend Sako! That's terrible news to receive!
Fortunately, nothing like that kept me from cooking, we just had too much going on and I decided it's best to put it off....plus my back yard area where I typically cook it getting re-done. I'll attach a pic. I'll show the finished pics when they are done. Probably later this week.
Thanks bud! Backyard is going to be sweet.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 10-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #1469
ssv3

Quote:

Thanks Deebo! Yep, I'm just a few years older myself and it's just crazy. Def way to young and everyone is still shocked. His dad was killed about the same age. Just total sadness man.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 10-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #1470
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I've heard good things about that Plowboys rub. I'll have to order some since we don't have an Academy around here. I wish we did cause I'd raid their fishing gear!! For this cook, I'll have to go with the All-Purpose rub but I'll use the Plowboys next time. I'll have to do some looking around to find some info on a brine for the bird.
Check out KosmosQ's. Their Dirty Bird rub is great like I mentioned but they also have brining solutions. You can get a 1 lb bag of rub for $10. 2 bottles of Ployboys yard bird is about $11 and it'll take about 4 bottles to equal a 1lb bag. So the dirty bird is really cheaper too.... I don't remember the price of brining solutions.
Hey another thing you can do is create a thread in QTalk asking about chicken brines. I guarantee you'll get several recipes.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it