Looking For Reassurance

B3

Knows what a fatty is.
Tomorrow will be the first time my wife and I host for Thanksgiving, and I’m looking for a little reassurance. So, I’ve turned to my Brethren.

The plan is to do two 13 pound turkeys on the 18 inch WSM at the same time. I’m going to try and also squeeze on some ABTs and a fatty, if they’ll fit. If I’m cooking the birds at 325, will the ABTs suffer? Will I run the risk of bubbling the filling right out of the peppers?

Also, the forecast is calling for rain. All day rain. If you were in my shoes, would you cook the birds tonight, avoid the rain, and reheat for serving time? Or, is the freshly cooked turkey a must-have?

Your opinion is appreciated.

Tomorrow will be the first time my wife and I host for Thanksgiving, and I’m looking for a little reassurance. So, I’ve turned to my Brethren.

The plan is to do two 13 pound turkeys on the 18 inch WSM at the same time. I’m going to try and also squeeze on some ABTs and a fatty, if they’ll fit. If I’m cooking the birds at 325, will the ABTs suffer? Will I run the risk of bubbling the filling right out of the peppers?

Also, the forecast is calling for rain. All day rain. If you were in my shoes, would you cook the birds tonight, avoid the rain, and reheat for serving time? Or, is the freshly cooked turkey a must-have?

Your opinion is appreciated.

Sounds like to much at once. If this is your first Turkey I would do one in the oven and one on the smoker. Good luck!

• Thanks
Reactions: B3
I can't speak to the WSM because I've never cooked on one but but I would opt for braving the elements the day of in lieu of cooking the birds the night before (I'm in the same boat here in Houston by the way) here's why: If you cook them tonight, the downtime will require you to refrigerate and reheat tomorrow. Anytime you do this you run the risk of drying out the meat no matter how well you have smoked the day before. I've done it with success in the past but I'm never 100% confident that the results will be as good. Another option you may consider (if you have the ability) is to purchase an easy up canopy for about $100 and BBQing under that outdoors...it will keep you dry and you'll have it for tailgate season!

I know. Heavy rain and wind coming our way tomorrow. You might try to prepare for the weather, you know, an EZ Up and wind breaks or use a garage w/ doors open. Not sure about the ABTs. They might just get done quicker.

• Thanks
I had thought about trying to find a canopy, so maybe I'll go look for one tonight. And Thomas, you're not alone in the holiday rain. Your Ohio brothers are with you.

Also, I should have clarified that this is not my first turkey. It IS however my first shot at hosting Thanksgiving. I'm completely comfortable doing two birds at once. I just don't know if I want to be going in and out of the rain all morning. I've also never cooked on the WSM in heavy rain, so I don't know what to expect. That's the trade-off: serve reheated turkey or take my chances with mother nature.

In the event that I don't land a canopy tonight, any advice for working the WSM with some rain?

You need to keep the rain out of the top vent. If you can't find a canopy do you have an umbrella and a C-clamp? If it's not too windy you can clamp and umbrella to something sturdy and put it next to the WSM.

• Thanks
B3- When I used my weber kettle to do turkeys I did notice a difference in temps when it was either very cold outside or during rain. It will be noticeably more difficult to keep the temps up and you will have to add more charcoal than you are used to adding to get it up to the desired temperature. I fell into the trap several times of expecting one chimney to get my pit up to 350...and it would stick somewhere below 300. Add more than you expect early and if you climb to high remove as needed...that would be my advice since you are working on a time table. Otherwise, you will either be waiting around for the pit to reach 350 or you will put the bird on with the temps lower than you want and it will take an hour longer than expected.

First rule of having company for dinner is to not stress yourself out - especially if it's a holiday meal. I would do one in the oven as well, and one on the Weber. You don't say is you ever cooked a turkey in the WSM before -
Your ABTs and fatty will cook a lot quicker at the higher temp - so you may want to use a pepper holder and not boat them. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

• Thanks
WSMs are notoriously succeptible to wind and rain. If the weather were going to be more fogiving, I'd say go ahead and do both birds in the smoker. However, given the situation, I agree you may want to hedge your bets a little and do one in the oven if you have the room.

As for the ABTs, I usually do mine at 300-325 anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue for you. Just put 'em in later in the cook. At that temp, they shouldn't take more than an hour to an hour and a half to finish. I also put the pepper caps back on the ABTs before I wrap 'em. This helps keep the stuffing inside a little better.

Here's a cook I did with two 8# chickens and a dozen ABTs and a couple banana boats on my UDS:
ProQ013.jpg

• Thanks
Haven't done turkeys on a WSM, so can't testify to that. We also have major rain today, tonight and tomorrow here in Indiana too. I've got concerns about my stick burner in the cold/wind/rain as well.

I guess I'd use the oven as a backup, but I'm still planning on smoking at all costs.

It'll turn out fine, though. Don't stress too much. Pour a drink, put your feet up.

Good luck Bro!

• Thanks
{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1465806 said:
Sounds like to much at once. If this is your first Turkey I would do one in the oven and one on the smoker. Good luck!

What he said. With a WSM, you could linger too long in the danger zone being that loaded and further considering the wind, rain and temps.

I'm in a similar situation. Although I could smoke 2 turkeys in one smoker, I will smoke one turkey in my UDS and another in my Bandera.

• Thanks
You can most definitely do two birds on a bullet...but as suggested above you may want to do just one if it is your first time...:thumb: As far as the ABT's they will do fine at 325...just be sure to wrap the bacon really tight and monitor them closely...they'll cook pretty fast. Also if you put them on the outer edge of the grate they'll be getting direct heat so you might want to put them on some HD foil. :p Have fun!

Another suggestion (if only doing one bird) put the bird on the lower grate...abt's on the top...then move the bird to the top when the abt's are done. :idea:

• Thanks
Well, I more or less chickened out and bowed to the powers that be. I started the thread looking for reassurance, and you all told me just what I needed to hear. I went ahead and cooked the turkeys tonight so that I could beat the rain. I got home, set up the WSM, starting prepping the birds, and BAM - it starts hailing. After about 30 minutes, it turned to rain. I’m sure it wasn’t as heavy as what tomorrow will bring, so I guess I still made out.

Here are the two birds. One was all buttered up with some fruit stuffing and rub. The other one had nothing going on except salt and pepper.

5205480617_fbd9da3ff9_b.jpg

5205482125_0ca73a2019_b.jpg

Ron… thanks for the C-clamp suggestion. It probably saved my quite a bit of headache! My gasser was just standing around, so it decided to lend a hand.

5206081632_eac0829b3f_b.jpg

I used apple and cherry woods at an average temp of 330 or so. The top bird was done right at 3 hours. When I pulled it, I moved the lower bird up to the top grate. It took another 30 minutes to finish.

5206083610_3b98f23288_b.jpg

I carved them and topped them with the drippings. Here’s hoping they don’t dry out.

5205487485_6571cfbd68_b.jpg

I'll worry about ABTs and fatties tomorrow. As always, thanks for the help fellas. Happy Thanksgiving! :becky:

GREAT JOB!!!! You will be the star at the dinner table. Just be Humble when the Raves start coming your way. Happy Thanksgiving.

Back