MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
Fur_252
Found some matches.

Default Fail! Water thawing brisket! Need help!

So I bought 16lb brisket frozen! And want to smoke it this Friday not thinking it’s going to thaw out in time in the fridge. I put it in a water bath help it along in the sink noticed water got in through a small hole. It was in the water for 1 hr. What should I do now? Is it still good? Need some advise! Thanks
Fur_252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

It should be fine. Put it back in the fridge and put it on the smoker partially frozen if need be. It will just take more time.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

What he ^^^ said. Don't forget to put it in a foil pan or something though.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

I pretty much always thaw my briskets in water unless they've been wet aging in the fridge. I place it in a cooler and cover with water. The brisket will cool the water and you can add a little ice if you want. After about 12 hours it should start to show signs of thawing. From there I keep the water temp at 40* or less using ice as necessary and things are fully thawed after a total of 24 hours. If water gets into the cryo-vac it's not big deal as long as it's cold water. After all you're going to rinse off before trimming anyway. Cook that sucka....

Old 12-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #5
Fur_252
Found some matches.

I started the thawing process on Tuesday night in the fridge and today it was still pretty frozen so I did the water bath. Should I drain the water and rewrap wrap the brisket?

Old 12-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
Fur_252
Found some matches.

Awesome thanks for the reply’s the cryo vac had a hole in it. Had really cold tap water when it was taking a bath

Old 12-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #7
Curt.P
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Curt

It'll be fine. I'd probably go ahead and take it out of the cryo and let it sit in the refrigerator on a rack, but I doubt leaving it as is will hurt anything. I've cooked a few partially thawed briskets and never had an issue with the results. It can make trimming harder, depending on how frozen it still is.

If you have a vacuum sealer, you could always rebag it and do the water thaw again.
Curt.P is offline   Reply With Quote