MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #16
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Here's my thought on the OP's question:

If you like ageing but don't like freezing and can time it in such a way so as to be able to cook your aged meat without freezing, great!

If you don't care about freezing, then it doesn't really matter. Freeze as necessary!

Just call me "Mr. Helper"!
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #17
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

As stated when freezing meat the water freezes before the cell structure. The water forms into ice crystals and that is what bursts the cell structures in which causes more purge. If this has happened to you, you need to better learn the art of freezing your brisket. We have been freezing beef in the meat biz since the invention of refrigeration and it has been working just fine.

Now that has been said. We all know that studies can be read to say what you want them to say. So even read this post and read only what you believe.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

I know if you salt beef heavily and rinse, it removes a lot of moisture. Steaks cooked this way have a more intense "beef" flavor as the intramuscular fluids are drawn out. Think dry aged.

Why would freezing hurt this? It draws out fluid. And if the cellular structure is damaged, then you need to cook hot and fast to not harm the cellular structure as much right?

Voodoo I tell you, all of it. Where is that guy from IL anyway? He had a killer mustard sauce and knew good beer, miss ya bro.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

I age and freeze briskets regularly, my only first in brisket was froze, also one of my best tasting brisket was only 10 days old!! It depends on the meat also!!!

I believe "the butcher" may be onto something about freezing them correctly......quickly I believe ?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #20
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyduk View Post
I age and freeze briskets regularly, my only first in brisket was froze, also one of my best tasting brisket was only 10 days old!! It depends on the meat also!!!

I believe "the butcher" may be onto something about freezing them correctly......quickly I believe ?
Quickly is the correct way, a whole brisket should be froze solid in 1 hour. Then the muscle (cells) will freeze prior to or right along the same as the moisture in the meat. Because meat freezes at a half degree to one degree less than moisture. That is why when the moisture freezes first and forms ice crystals it punctures holes in the cell (muscle) walls and allows it to purge out more when thawed out.

Let the record be shown I freeze 100% of all the comp briskets I have ever cooked.

"Trust Your Butcher"

Last edited by Butcher BBQ; 09-19-2011 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: spelling

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #21
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you very much!! This is very helpful information and really appreciate you posting this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher BBQ View Post
Quickly is the correct way, a whole brisket should be froze solid in 1 hour. Then the muscle (cells) will freeze prior to or right along the same as the moisture in the meat. Because meat freezes at a half degree to one degree less than moisture. That is why when the moisture freezes first and forms ice crystals it punctures holes in the cell (muscle) walls and allows it to purge out more when thawed out.

Let the record be shown I freeze 100% of all the comp briskets I have ever cooked.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #22
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher BBQ View Post

Hmmm, so this begs the question, how can a person at home freeze a brisket solid in one hour? I'm sure you might have some handy devices that can do it, but how would one accomplish this at home? I'm doubting my refrigerator freezers nor my deep freeze could accomplish this task. Packing in dry ice? This would seem an expensive route to do to every single brisket.

Ideas?
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #23
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

We don't comprehend the science behind it all completely, but here is what we think.
All things being equal, I'd prefer 45 day briskets never frozen. Since we have to order our briskets well in advance and they don't always come in exactly when we would like and since we have no real control over how old they are when we receive them, we almost always end up freezing them. To us, in addition to quick freezing, we like a slow thaw. Best results when we use a colder refrigerator and let the briskets thaw over a week or more. When they thaw too quickly.. like in a warmer fridge, or under cool water, they seem to dump more of their fluids.
We do inject, so most of the fluids lost can be replaced, but the elasticity of the meat cannot be regenerated once it's lost. And we believe its lost when the cell walls are damaged.
There are obviously better brisket cooks out there, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #24
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
Hmmm, so this begs the question, how can a person at home freeze a brisket solid in one hour? I'm sure you might have some handy devices that can do it, but how would one accomplish this at home? I'm doubting my refrigerator freezers nor my deep freeze could accomplish this task. Packing in dry ice? This would seem an expensive route to do to every single brisket.

Ideas?
A few folks I know use ice chest and dry ice. Not a handy device but the results are great.

"Trust Your Butcher"