Backwoods or Stumps?

shnmclr

Knows what a fatty is.
I am a backyard guy and I've been using a 22.5" WSM for the last 3 years. I'm wanting to upgrade and I've been looking at the Backwoods Chubby and the Stumps Baby. I realize the Backwoods is closer to what I currently use as far as being a water smoker and the Stumps is a gravity fed, but just wondering if others out there use these and what are the pros and cons you've seen. Thanks for any input!

Several questions:
* How will you use the cooker: backyard/Family use, Some comps, heavy comps, large cooks?
* How important is sleep?
* Are you only considering vertical?
* Budget?
* Space a concern?
* Mobility?

My use is strictly backyard. Never more than a couple of butts at a time or maybe 4-5 slabs of ribs. Space is at a premium so that is why I'm leaning toward a vertical smoker. Just wanting something that will perform in cold weather as well as warmer temps. I've been using a BBQguru party Q for the last year and would definitely want something that could handle a guru unit as well.

I have an Assassin and I'm very happy with it but it would be too big for your needs. I think a Humphrey's may be a good fit for your requirements. I was at a comp recently and talked to several Humphrey's owners and everyone had nothing but good things to say about them.

The Memphis Barbecue Supply store here (http://mbbqsupply.com) is very soon going to start carrying a locally procuded "Backwoods-style" smoker. I was talking to the store owner at a contest recently. He said they would be much cheaper though. I wish I could rembmer the comparison he made, but it escapes me. I'm pretty excited to see the product, though. Might be worth waiting to find out.

I was going to buy a Backwoods Competitor but then I stumbled across a Humphrey's Down East Beast, the comparable size and the high quality made it become my final decision for my purchase....

I recently had a similar decision to make and went with the Humphrey's. Can't wait to go pick it up.

Do yourself a favor and call Jay at Spicewine Ironworks. He builds cookers that will last more than a lifetime. I have his large model but the Medium is more than enough of a cooker for most uses.

Good luck with your choice.

Attachments

• DSC01976.jpg
    DSC01976.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 169
  • cleaned up.jpg
    cleaned up.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 168
Take a look at the Deep South Single Chamber (small). Very affordable and extremely well built. I recently looked at Stump's, Southern Q, Pitmaker, Backwoods and Assassin, but I kept coming back to gravity fed and Deep South because of how well it is built. Ultimately, you will be happy with any of these.

Back