MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #256
Smokey-T
Full Fledged Farker

 
Smokey-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-29-09
Location: Williamsport, PA
Default

Hi, my name is Ted and I also had this problem.

I started with a GOSM, took a char-griller offset and McGyver'd it to be a reverse flow, got into ceramics with a Primo Oval XL and each time I got better. On the ceramic, I have aced pulled pork, ribs of all kinds and the elusive brisket! But even so, I dreamed of a big boy offset. Being in PA, that meant a Meadow Creek. I got a sweet deal on a gently used/demo TS120P with inusalted firebox. I tried and tried and tried. Reading, watching videos, talking to experts and the manufacture. Nothing I could do would improve my food output, or give me any ability to enjoy it as an extension of my hobby. So after three months, I sold it. Luckily, I did not lose any money, just some pride and maybe a bit of manhood.

It wasn't the smoker, it was me. I probably didn't give it much time, but at 52, my patience is not what it used to be. So, I am now focusing on making excellent Que in my Primo, expanding my sous vide use and also getting into drum smokers.

I have a Hunsaker Vortex setup (flat black) that was just delivered awaiting me at home. After tasting some fine Que in Kauai at Chicken in a Barrel (Kapaa), I was hooked. I talked to the guy there and he showed me the barrel cookers. The meat was outstanding.

So now it will just be me, my Primo and my Hunsaker. As many have said, it isn't what your using, it is more about enjoying the process and making good food and sharing with friends.

I have been on this forum since 2009 and very greatful for all I have learned. It's Friday, so lets get the smoke rolling!!

Take care all!
__________________
- Broilmaster Gasser, Blackstone 36" Griddle, Hunsaker Vortex Smoker, Primo Oval XL
Smokey-T is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->


Old 12-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #257
lastmajordude
is One Chatty Farker

 
lastmajordude's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-11-12
Location: The "Poah" side of Madison Co. Mississippi
Name/Nickname : Dude
Default

Hot small fires most definitely work on a used Jambo stick burner...........!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Jambo stick burner (dedicated to my dad...Big John) / Weber kettle / Blue Rhino 36” griddle / Battle Grey Hunsaker drum.
"When food is cooked in a kitchen people think how good it smells, when cooked outside it is intoxicating to their soul"..... The Dude
lastmajordude is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 12-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #258
CptKaos
Take a breath!
 
Join Date: 09-21-17
Location: Central Texas
Default

Guess it all depends on your definition of small :)

Larry
CptKaos is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-15-2017, 09:13 PM   #259
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
pjtexas1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-28-11
Location: Belton, Tx
Name/Nickname : Texas Pete
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
I should probably add this to the thread as some may find it useful in the future.

In the BBQ with Aaron Franklin series he cooks a lot on the Pecos ,which by our standards is a cheap offset smoker.

I'm a couple of the vids you can see the size of wood chunks he is using. I think this is interesting from a heat management perspective



https://youtu.be/LbzEa_juegs?t=5m53s
The splits I use in my Shirley are not much bigger than these. I like to run a tighter temp range.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
__________________
Paul (aka Texas Pete)
Shirley 24x55 Straight Back / T&K GF /Abe's 48" Entertainer / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box Smoker on custom cart
Char-Griller Premium Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr /Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro 440

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 12-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #260
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-01-17
Location: North Texas
Name/Nickname : EL Luchador
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey-T View Post
Hi, my name is Ted and I also had this problem.

I started with a GOSM, took a char-griller offset and McGyver'd it to be a reverse flow, got into ceramics with a Primo Oval XL and each time I got better. On the ceramic, I have aced pulled pork, ribs of all kinds and the elusive brisket! But even so, I dreamed of a big boy offset. Being in PA, that meant a Meadow Creek. I got a sweet deal on a gently used/demo TS120P with inusalted firebox. I tried and tried and tried. Reading, watching videos, talking to experts and the manufacture. Nothing I could do would improve my food output, or give me any ability to enjoy it as an extension of my hobby. So after three months, I sold it. Luckily, I did not lose any money, just some pride and maybe a bit of manhood.

It wasn't the smoker, it was me. I probably didn't give it much time, but at 52, my patience is not what it used to be. So, I am now focusing on making excellent Que in my Primo, expanding my sous vide use and also getting into drum smokers.

I have a Hunsaker Vortex setup (flat black) that was just delivered awaiting me at home. After tasting some fine Que in Kauai at Chicken in a Barrel (Kapaa), I was hooked. I talked to the guy there and he showed me the barrel cookers. The meat was outstanding.

So now it will just be me, my Primo and my Hunsaker. As many have said, it isn't what your using, it is more about enjoying the process and making good food and sharing with friends.

I have been on this forum since 2009 and very greatful for all I have learned. It's Friday, so lets get the smoke rolling!!

Take care all!
Welcome Smokey Ted and thanks for sharing.

The good thing is you got a drum so you get all the points on your man card back with some bonus points thrown in. :D

Tonight I'm under the weather, it's cold outside(for Texas) and I want some pulled pork tomorrow. So I'm about to throw a shoulder on the drum,set the controller to 275 and go get a good night's sleep.

If I were burning wood, no way in hell I'd be trying to Q right now

Last edited by el luchador; 12-15-2017 at 09:53 PM..
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #261
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-01-17
Location: North Texas
Name/Nickname : EL Luchador
Default

My first cook back using charcoal/chunks and I had my easiest and best cook ever. and I remembered why the UDS is amazing.

10 lb pork butt- no injection, no spritz, no foil, just a basic rub.
put on at midnight, went to bed, woke up and took the kids to breakfast, came back and adjusted vents a little, went back out and ran a couple of errands, did some grocery shopping with the family and then finally came back home.

Came back home and the butt was done- 207° and 11.5 hours in the cooker.
best thing was it had awesome bark, was falling apart tender and amazingly moist, and the aroma was simply gorgeous.

Imo, this is how cooking should be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171216_115440732_HDR.jpg (70.5 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 20171216_120005.jpg (16.0 KB, 127 views)
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 12-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #262
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Location: Commerce Twp, MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
My first cook back using charcoal/chunks and I had my easiest and best cook ever. and I remembered why the UDS is amazing.
Imagine how much better it would be if you cooked it on an offset! Just kidding!! Well, not really but...oh forget it. Its like the movie Groundhog Day where we just start the whole thing over.
__________________
LSG 24x40, BGE (Large)
JokerBroker is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 12-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #263
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-01-17
Location: North Texas
Name/Nickname : EL Luchador
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerBroker View Post
Imagine how much better it would be if you cooked it on an offset! Just kidding!! Well, not really but...oh forget it.
LMAO. If my only option were to use an offset I would be having pot roast today, not Q
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #264
CptKaos
Take a breath!
 
Join Date: 09-21-17
Location: Central Texas
Default

Not everyone can or wants to cook on a stick burner, it's more of an art form that requires time and dedication.
The only thing important about doing Q as a hobby is that you enjoy doing it.
Doesn't matter what type cooker your using as long as you are happy with the results.

Larry
CptKaos is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 12-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #265
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
cowgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-18-07
Location: Oklahoma
Name/Nickname : jeanie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
My first cook back using charcoal/chunks and I had my easiest and best cook ever. and I remembered why the UDS is amazing.

10 lb pork butt- no injection, no spritz, no foil, just a basic rub.
put on at midnight, went to bed, woke up and took the kids to breakfast, came back and adjusted vents a little, went back out and ran a couple of errands, did some grocery shopping with the family and then finally came back home.

Came back home and the butt was done- 207° and 11.5 hours in the cooker.
best thing was it had awesome bark, was falling apart tender and amazingly moist, and the aroma was simply gorgeous.

Imo, this is how cooking should be
Looks like it came out great!
__________________
jeanie
Lifetime member of the Society for the Preservation of Authentic Royal Magical Rare Kaskaskian Peppers (Thanks Ash :))
RIP Ash, you are missed

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 12-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #266
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-01-17
Location: North Texas
Name/Nickname : EL Luchador
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Looks like it came out great!
Thank you. I was very happy with the results
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 12-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #267
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

 
Czarbecue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-24-17
Location: Monroe, GA
Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong
Default

I guess that is understandable to want an easy bake cooker. I use my gas smoker when I test rubs or don't have time to tend to the charcoal or fire. But on another note, I also don't take pride in and call the food my own when I make Kraft Mac N' Cheese for my kids. Everyone is different
__________________
Boathouse Smokers Big Black Cabinet
Weber Ranch Kettle
Pit Boss Vertical Smoker
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 12-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #268
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-01-17
Location: North Texas
Name/Nickname : EL Luchador
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
I guess that is understandable to want an easy bake cooker. I use my gas smoker when I test rubs or don't have time to tend to the charcoal or fire. But on another note, I also don't take pride in and call the food my own when I make Kraft Mac N' Cheese for my kids. Everyone is different

Hahaha. Someone who didn't know you were building a mother uds(110 gallon) would think that was a dig against charcoal.

But I know you are joking else you wouldn't be building that humongous easy bake lol
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #269
gengle
Full Fledged Farker

 
gengle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-07-14
Location: PA, Capitol region
Default

Getcha. I've got a PBC for the emulation, couple of kettles when I wanna go nuclear hot, two big gassers when time's tight and a little Q-gasser cause it's cute. When I get the kids out the house and off the payroll (I suspect that won't happen), there's an offset in my future. Fantasy's about an SF or LSG but, it'll likely be a little Meadow Creek, they're close and I can flip it if it ain't my thing. Do whatcha whatcha whatcha want! ;> MFC!
__________________
"... it can ring like fire when you lose your way."
gengle is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #270
overeasy
Knows what a fatty is.

 
overeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-12-17
Location: Sacramento, Ca.
Default

Yep, you catch fish how you want to...
__________________
Ironside CDR Cabinet
Karubecue C-60
Old Country Pecos
Webber Kettle
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts