MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #31
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Big Poppas has everything I need.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #32
ATucker
On the road to being a farker

http://www.atlantabbqstore.com/

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #33
Roast Beast
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATucker View Post
This. Fastest shipping in BBQ.

Southern Q 125 water cooker
Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum Smoker
22.5 WSM x 2
KCBS CBJ

ROAST BEAST BBQ on Facebook and Instagram
Roast Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #34
calmdowneight
Got Wood.

Thanks for the leads on atlantabbqstore! Now I will compare them all and make an order. Thank all of you again!

Old 03-30-2016, 11:33 PM   #35
RubLover
Knows what a fatty is.

One of the things that I noticed on sauces as both a CBJ and competitor is that if something stands out - like say pineapple juice (as I had one time that was really annoying), you will get marked down. So starting with a great sauce like Swamp Boys/Blues Hog/Fine Swine/Granny's/Countryside... Will help you greatly in that nothing stands out and they just have great flavor. They blend well with most rubs (WCO my favorite) and complement the meats. As many have mentioned, tenderness is still the key with nothing else annoying will lead you to higher scores IMHO. After all it is not a sauce contest. Do not be afraid to thin the sauce with water/apple juice to not get a "heavy" sauce flavor.
RubLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2016, 03:01 AM   #36
calmdowneight
Got Wood.

Thanks for the info on sauces! Thinning was my first thought, with apple juice of course.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:55 AM   #37
Bubba
Full Fledged Farker

Calmdowneight here's what I do try out different sauces. You have to have someone other than yourself to do the comparison. So what are your options? Contests cost too much Family and friends won't normally tell the truth. My solution is to have a group of kids try your different sauces cooked on meat. The main reason why I go this route is kids will give you a honest opinion. Go to your local cub/boy/girl scouts, a big brothers/sisters or maybe your church tell them what you want to do and see if they would accommodate you. Not only will you get honest feedback but you also might get to help a little one.

I was Can Cooking when Can Cooking wasn't Cool
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2016, 07:59 AM   #38
calmdowneight
Got Wood.

Bubba, that is a great idea. Children are always honest no matter who's feelings it hurts!

Old 03-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #39
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Blues Hog and Swamp Boys do well for me.

Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; UDS; Thermapen Mk4; DigiQ DX2; IQ120; CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years); Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

We're (kinda) famous!
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #40
masque13
Take a breath!

for those of you recommending trying out swamp boys sauce......I assume you mean the "original" and not the "vinegar" correct?
masque13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #41
masque13
Take a breath!

and are you guys recommending the "original" with headcountry and a fine swine as well?
masque13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #42
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by masque13 View Post
for those of you recommending trying out swamp boys sauce......I assume you mean the "original" and not the "vinegar" correct?
Yes, the vinegar is great to use at home especially on yard bird but the original is perfect for competition.
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #43
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichasaces View Post
Funny you say that. My first KCBS comp ever I had the bottle of Swamp Boys that came in my west coast offense bundle from BPS, and I used the Swamp Boys Original with no blending and placed 4th in chicken. Of course, being the dumbass that I am, I've never used it again. Now that you've reminded me of that, if I had a way to get some in my hands before Saturday without paying overnight shipping I would do it again. For now, I think I am stuck using Blues Hog, Head Country, Sucklebusters, or Texas Pepper Jelly. Those are the only brands that I either have on hand, or have access to locally.

True story. Also, I don't think Smokey Mountain gets enough love. Adding it to the mix has been amazing for us.
Craig's sauce straight out of the bottle works well, especially on chicken assuming the other flavors already on it work well with the sauce. Adding a little rib candy to it and warming it will also help the sauce lay out nice and even.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #44
erichasaces
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Craig's sauce straight out of the bottle works well, especially on chicken assuming the other flavors already on it work well with the sauce. Adding a little rib candy to it and warming it will also help the sauce lay out nice and even.
So the rib candy or the bird bath isn't something you could use by itself on chicken? I have some of those in my refrigerator right now, but none of the bbq sauce itself.
[URL="https://www.instagram.com/old99meatco/"]Instagram[/URL]
[URL="https://www.snapchat.com/add/old99meatco"]Snapchat[/URL]
erichasaces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2016, 12:08 PM   #45
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichasaces View Post
So the rib candy or the bird bath isn't something you could use by itself on chicken? I have some of those in my refrigerator right now, but none of the bbq sauce itself.
That's what the bird bath is made for. Rib candy can work as well. If you want to try the sauce I know Zinger Hardware in Austin stocks it.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Competition, sauce