MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #31
iamasmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

When I have tried to make my own ketchup or mustard based sauces before, they have always turned out lumpy. Any thing in particular to do to avoid this?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #32
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamasmoker View Post
When I have tried to make my own ketchup or mustard based sauces before, they have always turned out lumpy. Any thing in particular to do to avoid this?

Follow the directions in the recipe and use a whisk to stir rather than a spoon. There are three reasons why you need to heat up the sauce.

First, you need to heat it up to a simmer to make sure that the brown sugar melts into it.

Second, you need to heat it up to make sure that the oils in the spices, mustard and ketchup melts into the sauce. While the mustard adds a little flavor, the real benefit from the mustard comes from its ability to be an emulsifier which helps to hold all of the ingredients together.

Third, you need to heat it up to cook the ketchup. Cooking the ketchup tones down the flavor and helps its flavor to meld with the other flavors in the sauce.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #33
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Definitely on my to do list. I've just recently discovered that my father's side of the family was from that area back in the 1700's.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #34
buccaneer

I like the look of this recipe particularly.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #35
Bludawg

Thumbs up ThankYou!!

I cooked an 11.5 lb Butt on Saturday and on a whim I decided to give this sauce a try sooner than later. I must say this stuff rocks the pig. Today my ole Gray headed a Daddy stopped by for lunch, Pops don't do sauce PERIOD. ......but he did today
I sauced his samich and gave hims little unsauced on the plate. Knowing his habits I knew he would start with the saminch then hit the stuff on the plate after 1 bite he asked me to fetch the bottle and proceeded to anoint the PP on his plate. I declare this a Winner.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #36
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

I had the same experience this weekend. A group of about 10 people with 100% approval rating. Great sauce. I guess the griffin sauce is going to be the new go to red around here
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #37
Boshizzle

Thanks, I'm glad you all like it!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #38
gtr

I like this stuff as well! Had some this weekend - went over very well. I do prefer the bite of the Shack Attack, but this is a very nice tangy sauce. I threw some the Griffin's Old VA Red in Keri's Hog Apple beans - yeah, do that.

And Bo - I really appreciate these posts of yours - great stuff!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #39
Displaced Texan
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

I made some of this with a little bit of changes for my taste. I used some chipotle powder instead of cayenne, I did not add the nutmeg because I am not a fan of the flavor in sauces, and I added just a little white sugar after it had cooked for a bit because both my wife and I thought it was a bit too tangy. This was a really goo starting point though.
Displaced Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #40
PatAttack

Thanks Bo for bringing this sort of history into the forefront!

It really is appreciated! I will be trying this ASAP!

Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #41
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

This is definitely on my short list to try! Thanks for posting this, Bo!
Custom Avatars by Grillman
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2014, 12:58 AM   #42
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

I tried making this, while I have the taste, it is very acidic - so I am assuming this is down to my vinegar.
Being in the UK I am assuming this may be one of the differences in having the same name for 2 different products.
Can someone hook me up with a link to Cider Vinegar so I can get something similar in the UK?

I can find bragg - buts it very expensive. Do I need it with 'Mother'?
Eggtastico is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 AM   #43
bshm
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtastico View Post
I tried making this, while I have the taste, it is very acidic - so I am assuming this is down to my vinegar.
Being in the UK I am assuming this may be one of the differences in having the same name for 2 different products.
Can someone hook me up with a link to Cider Vinegar so I can get something similar in the UK?

I just use Heinz, I guess it depends on if you need it's unique health giving properties. Sounds kinda gimmicky to me, if it's labeled health food it costs more.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #44
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtastico View Post

Here is the exact vinegar I use sold on a UK Amazon site.

The other thing to keep in mind is, the purpose of the water is to reduce the acidity of the vinegar, so you may be able to experiment with the water and whatever vinegar you can get until you like the tanginess. You don't need vinegar with the mother, either. In fact, I'd recommend against it.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #45
Boshizzle

BTW - I thought this would be a good thread to show this. It's an ad from a 1930's Kansas City newspaper.

Thanks from: --->

Tags
barbecue sauce, BBQ Sauce, sauce, VA BBQ, Virginia, Virginia barbecue, Virginia BBQ