MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:25 PM   #1
Killa J
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh
Default Start on the cheaper end or buy the expensive smoker I really want?

To start, I’m not new to BBQing at all. I got my first cheap offset in 2013 or 2014, and it was worth about what I paid for it. I’ve used various styles of smokers since then, but I don’t have an offset stick burner. I bought what I thought was going to scratch that itch in a Good One Marshall, but it works way better as a charcoal smoker and not a stick burner. Anyway, I’m most likely going to ditch (or at least cover and store) my RecTeq pellet grill and put an offset stick burner in it’s spot.

What I really want is either a Workhorse 1975 or a Pitmaker Short Sniper. But I also have been thinking it makes more sense for me to get a smoker a few steps down from those along the lines of an Old Country Brazos. It’s about $2000 less than the Workhorse and $3000 less than the Pitmaker. Can I afford the more expensive ones? Yes. Should I splurge that much? I don’t know. I’ve got several other smokers already, and I’m not catering or doing competitions. I have cooked for upwards of 30 people at a time, but that’s a rarity.
Killa J is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
bucko
is one Smokin' Farker

I would get a Barrell smoker don't know if you have tried one I just started hanging meat about a month ago and it is the best tasting food I have ever cooked and it comes out great every time and so easy to do no more low and slow for me or if you want to tend fires try a cement block pit you can build one cheap about 3 layers high and sheet of expanded metal
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #3
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

I have always went cheap on stuff like that and I almost always ended up buying what I really wanted eventually anyways. I am trying to break that habit. I'd say just "buy once, cry once"
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
Killa J
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
I have always went cheap on stuff like that and I almost always ended up buying what I really wanted eventually anyways. I am trying to break that habit. I'd say just "buy once, cry once"
That’s part of my problem too. I know there’s a chance I’ll want the “nicer” one later, then what the hell do I do with the other one?

Old 08-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #5
Killa J
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I would get a Barrell smoker don't know if you have tried one I just started hanging meat about a month ago and it is the best tasting food I have ever cooked and it comes out great every time and so easy to do no more low and slow for me or if you want to tend fires try a cement block pit you can build one cheap about 3 layers high and sheet of expanded metal
I’ve got the Pit Barrel Jr and I have a big Smokey Mountain with hangers. For ribs and chicken, there’s nothing better.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #6
1Gradymaci
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jerry Adams

I would spend the Money and get the Workhorse..Better quality and really just more value.
1Gradymaci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #7
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jimmy

If you have a good source for wood already I would get what you want. Buy used. You can offload it if you find the amount time you use it any worth the value of the pit.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #8
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

100% I live by the motto of "buy once, cry once." Workhorse is definitely on my radar right now for a backyard smoker, but I've heard their waitlist is getting to be in the 9 month region (don't quote me on that, just going with what I've heard). I've never seen any Pitmaker smokers up close, but online they look fantastic.

You've got some good cookers now, so maybe the lead time won't be much of a problem for you.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
gtsum
Babbling Farker

If you can afford it, then spend the money on what you really want. Workhorse is moving into a new facility and their lead times should get cut down, but they are getting really, really, really popular. My 1975 is a lot of cooker for the money imo. It will certainly
Last a proverbial lifetime being 3/8” thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #10
Killa J
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
If you can afford it, then spend the money on what you really want. Workhorse is moving into a new facility and their lead times should get cut down, but they are getting really, really, really popular. My 1975 is a lot of cooker for the money imo. It will certainly
Last a proverbial lifetime being 3/8” thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
How many briskets can you reasonably fit on your 1975? I’m pretty much a complete newbie with offsets, but I know you can’t just cram the entire cooking grate full with good results.

I’m worried that Workhorse’s prices might go up if I wait.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:35 PM   #11
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Had i bought my PB for $200 on clearance, and my Rec Tec Wifi controller for $220, first, i probably would not have bought my $2500 Timberline 1300.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
Lomey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I would definitely go with the offset you want. I went through the same thing a couple of years ago. Started with a cheap offset and cooked some really good bbq on it for about 12 years or so and loved tending to the fire. I wanted to upgrade and went with an ABS All Star which is the same principle as the Good One. I just didn't like the charcoal taste it put off. Sold it for about half of what I paid for it a year and a half later. Considered the Brazos, but I knew I would end up with a higher end offset down the road anyway so why not just get what I wanted. Finally decided to go for it and found a local builder to build the offset I've always wanted.

Like you money wasn't the issue so I just should have gotten what I wanted right off the bat. Would have saved me $600 loss on the ABS in the long run. The crazy thing was my wife said get the nice offset because I wasn't going to like the ABS. She was right that time.
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #13
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Splurge!

Old 08-02-2021, 06:50 PM   #14
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jimmy

Seeing you’re in La maybe source a pit from that area. There’s that one dude on YouTube that makes cool cookers. I can’t remember his name but there was a thread a few weeks back.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #15
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa J View Post
That’s part of my problem too. I know there’s a chance I’ll want the “nicer” one later, then what the hell do I do with the other one?
If you were brand new to smoking I might suggest something cheaper, but you said you have been doing this for several years. Doesn't seem like this is a passing fad for you. If you take the leap and somehow end up regretting it then a nice pit will have much better resale value than your other options.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote