• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tallow and Lard Experiment

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
With all the buzz around the tallow brisket thing I decided to give it a go. Did tallow brisket and lard ribs. Basically during the wrapping phase I slathered the butcher paper with tallow for the brisket and lard for the ribs. To make it short and sweet I give the tallow thing a thumbs down as I didn't notice any difference whatsoever in taste other than the tallow making my bark softer than usual. I know a lot of people swear by it but I wasn't impressed.Either that or I just know how to make damn good brisket. :becky: Needless to say I'll stick with how I do brisket which has worked for me fine all this time.

Started with a CAB Prime brisket I had in the freezer. Would you look at the price :twitch:

CklnWr1h.jpg

Quick trim

APBAYy3h.jpg

And hung in the beast. God, I can't remember last time I used it

vzQsIIBh.jpg

y0HmDQ1h.jpg

About five hours it was ready for the wrap

rNHizCth.jpg

Wagyu tallow slathered on the BP

yw3lzkuh.jpg

Amazing color

lBSxqXNh.jpg

After wrapping the brisket I hung a rack of baby backs and STL spares. Just S&P

T92sRxrh.jpg

A few hours in and I wrapped the ribs and slathered the BP with lard. Only fair right? :-D

8SedRlZh.jpg

After about 5 hours of rest

19XlLdAh.jpg

BkjbQzCh.jpg

Really moist but again, that's how most of my briskets turn out anyway

1BvS3iJh.jpg

EvVP4xBh.jpg

SsR69brh.jpg

The fat cap and fat rendered really well

ag178bqh.jpg

Moist flat

Z7uCLvIh.jpg

Of course the point was spot on also

L4Tjk38h.jpg

On to the ribs

uHaWOBgh.jpg

jeyX9uch.jpg

Pretty darn good but again I usually get kickarse ribs in the offset

axLLvoYh.jpg

Thanks for looking! Don't let me hold you back and I'm interested what other brethren think.

I’m with you. When you say softening the bark I get a little nervous. We all have our individual tastes/preferences but I think I’m a no tallow guy.

Wonder if the tallow is best combined with the super long hold techniques. I suspect it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for sharing, nice lookin’ briskey.

I plan to try as well, I will probably also hang it but on my drum, and will probably do an “active hold” in my Alto Shaam for quite a while.

69239851-9218-4-A70-8255-EF7-FF88-E36-B9.jpg

PS...I'm jealous of your brisket price, still north of $4.00/lb at my Costco as of last week.

Last edited:
Suds the price is so low because it was out for sale in Dec 2020, before prices started to spike. Prime packers around here in Austin are currently a bit over $5/lb. Unheard of pricing for central Texas.

I’m with you. When you say softening the bark I get a little nervous. We all have our individual tastes/preferences but I think I’m a no tallow guy.

Wonder if the tallow is best combined with the super long hold techniques. I suspect it is.

It pretty much ruined my bark but the flavor was totally there. Honestly Kevin, I've had great results with longer hold times in the 4-5 hour range using my Cambro.

This typically is my brisket bark

4XQ7sVmh.jpg

T1GlaPrh.jpg

Last edited:
:thumb:

You're results will probably be more conclusive holding it in the Alto Shaam. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for sharing, nice lookin’ briskey.

I plan to try as well, I will probably also hang it but on my drum, and will probably do an “active hold” in my Alto Shaam for quite a while.

69239851-9218-4-A70-8255-EF7-FF88-E36-B9.jpg

PS...I'm jealous of your brisket price, still north of $4.00/lb at my Costco as of last week.

Looking good as ever!

I did the tallow thing and ultra long hold last week and thought it made my bark way too soft. I should of pulled before it probed tender as I pulled at 202 and even letting it rest for hours until the IT came down to 150 (and then into roaster oven for 19 hours)…flat was juicy but a little over cooked, but not sure if it was the long hold or the tallow. But I didn’t like what it did to my bark

Did you by chance watch the 11-part Harry Soo series on tallow and brisket? At one point he introduces ghee and lard into the equation. And his findings lean toward lard for both an injection and a component for wrapping brisket.

I took a competition cooking class about 10 years ago, and as a means to understand flavors, the cooks made a few racks of ribs basted in lard. They were amazingly good.

Thanks Sako, I appreciate your take on the tallow BS. I can't imagine adding ever more fat to what ends up in the paper or foil after a good rest. Have we all become milenials? Just cook a good brisket like you always have. Franklin, god bless him, is causing some social meadia peeps to make money off of his name. Just like the tallow thread..........

And I digress, I've never had a Franklin brisket..............

Looking good as ever!

I did the tallow thing and ultra long hold last week and thought it made my bark way too soft. I should of pulled before it probed tender as I pulled at 202 and even letting it rest for hours until the IT came down to 150 (and then into roaster oven for 19 hours)…flat was juicy but a little over cooked, but not sure if it was the long hold or the tallow. But I didn’t like what it did to my bark

I remember your thread. :thumb: I'm pretty certain it's the tallow as far as soft bark goes. This tallow was so dang silky I fried some fries in a skillet, washed it really good with soap and water and the surface is still slick.

Great looking cook Sako...however...
Line of the Month

I just know how to make damn good brisket

:twisted::eusa_clap:thumb:

Thanks Joe!

I can say with confidence because I ultimately found out for myself that long and proper rest was the key to great brisket. I hardly ever screw up briskets anymore.

Did you by chance watch the 11-part Harry Soo series on tallow and brisket? At one point he introduces ghee and lard into the equation. And his findings lean toward lard for both an injection and a component for wrapping brisket.

I took a competition cooking class about 10 years ago, and as a means to understand flavors, the cooks made a few racks of ribs basted in lard. They were amazingly good.

I haven't actually. Nothing against Harry Soo as I like the guy but I can't for the life of me watch his videos. Especially 11 parts. :laugh: He just goes on and on and on...

Before I did this I thought to myself that any kind of cooking grease should work using this method so Harry def makes sense with the ghee and lard. I have to say I did favor the ribs with the lard. Definitely tasted difference there.

Last edited:
Thanks Sako, I appreciate your take on the tallow BS. I can't imagine adding ever more fat to what ends up in the paper or foil after a good rest. Have we all become milenials? Just cook a good brisket like you always have. Franklin, god bless him, is causing some social meadia peeps to make money off of his name. Just like the tallow thread..........

And I digress, I've never had a Franklin brisket..............

It was a fun project George plus I hadn't used my offset in a while. Don't compare us to millennials. :laugh::thumb:

I'm sticking to my tried and true method. And you're right about Franklin as I think he's got a system he set in place that made him a success which works till today. Pretty sure it's simple and no tallow is involved. :biggrin1:

Oh and his brisket is the rage and then some. :nod:

You could rub dirt on both the ribs and the brisket and I'm sure they would still taste amazing, but don't do that experiment on my behalf.
Your cooks always look killer, Sako. And when you decide to leave California and head down south, maybe I'll be able to come visit just as they are coming off the cooker.

:thumb:

You're results will probably be more conclusive holding it in the Alto Shaam. Looking forward to it.

Seeing your "normal" bark compared to the bark from this tallow cook gives me pause...basically what I expected would happen. I may try to take mine a bit longer before wrapping to doubly set it up.

I've used a fat binder (Duck Fat Spray) on other random items and found that it prevented me from building the same crunchy bark that I'm used to. I tasted the tallow from the container, it does have that hint of wagyu fat that I'm used to from a wagyu brisket or steak, but I'm really skeptical about it adding much flavor wise to the end result, when you take into consideration how comparatively overpowering salt, pepper, and smoke can be.

I still think the biggest difference is closing the pores of the paper with fat, resulting in a different texture compared to "just" butcher paper. I cooked 12 briskets at once on my Shirley and I wrapped them all in foil for time's sake, they all turned out amazing. But I wrapped probably 85% of the way to "done" so I think I avoided the pot-roasty thing many people complain of with foil wraps. I still do butcher paper for 1 or 2 briskets.

There’s no doubt you make a beauty of a brisket. Yours ain’t broke so no reason to fix it.

Don’t think I’m changing my process either.

Guess the Internet isn’t always right…

I didn’t really think there was anything to the tallow idea. But thanks for doing an experiment on our behalf. And it still looks like another killer Sako meal.

Back