How many Racks of Ribs ?

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
My Son is coming in from LA to LA. His birthday. Grand total of 8 folks. I put 3 racks of STL style at 13 bones apeice about right. That's approx. 39 bones. Lot's of fixin's too.

Too many? Not enough? Thanks in advance. :thumb:

Depends IMO.

If I was coming, not enough. I don't eat carbs, so I'll slam half a rack of St. Louis ribs and eat no sides unless you have pork belly burnt ends or deviled eggs.

Last night I smoked a rack of baby backs, for myself. I have 3 bones in the fridge for leftovers lol

What? They're just little baby ribs!

(the St. Louis ribs at the store were frozen)

Depends IMO.

If I was coming, not enough. I don't eat carbs, so I'll slam half a rack of St. Louis ribs and eat no sides unless you have pork belly burnt ends or deviled eggs.

Last night I smoked a rack of baby backs, for myself. I have 3 bones in the fridge for leftovers lol

What? They're just little baby ribs!

(the St. Louis ribs at the store were frozen)

So I need another rack?

If STL is the only meat, you better hope they don't eat a rack a piece. I would throw a Butt in the mix with some Kaiser rolls, slaw, and the usual fix'ns.

If STL is the only meat, you better hope they don't eat a rack a piece. I would throw a Butt in the mix with some Kaiser rolls, slaw, and the usual fix'ns.

Have no idea where boobie town is or whatever but y'all aint seen our sides.
No one leaves hungry from a table down South. Guaranteed.

If y’all are like me and my Bride (I bet we’re close) y’all will fix your plates last. Without even thinking and nobody noticing You’ll observe as those before have built their plates. Being last in line this is an easy observation. If more ribs are gone than you’d planned without even thinking you’ll adjust your own amount giving thanks they’re at your table. This plate adjustment has happened my whole life. It’s automatic-like breathing.
No one even notices. With southern sides I think you have enough. However if it’s even in your mind Id have some Earl Campbell or Tejano Hot links or andouille on hand to throw on the cooker to wrap in rolls, French, white bread etc
Just a little heat and serve peace of mind parachute for the host and hostess.

Happy Birthday

Last edited:
Ribs and Sausages are a winning combo. 8-12 links will cover for a rack of ribs for sure and easy to do near the end of a Rib cook. Probably won’t need them as I’m sure Happy’s sides will be multiple and great all by themselves.

One more rack, and as mentioned, add a few sausages.

Happy birthday to your son, and enjoy the company!

If the racks are pre cut st louis, 13 bones is not a given and most likely a bone on each rack are not quality eating. Thinner, less meat, ect. so your good eating yield is about 4 bones per person. If me, I would have another rack. Who am I kidding, at my house there would be 2 more racks on the smoker.

I guess it depends how LA he has gone, since he's been out of LA. Might be able to trim it down to 2 racks.

3 sounds good on my end. Our family is big on the side dish game as well, so that's where we would load up. Backup sausages are a great idea-or just for a snack later when people hangout long enough they need more food.

When doing ribs for a group I usually like to throw on a chicken as well in case some folks don't like ribs or to just make more protein available.

Another rack wouldn't hurt if you're only cooking ribs, but I agree with others that chicken or a butt would also cover you. I always over cook intentionally. I love BBQ leftovers. BBQ pizza, BBQ nachos, burritos....the list goes on and on.

Great input folks and Thanks! Really like the sausage idea. May throw some OPUS or Down Home on too.

Thanks again!

Back